Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Just another day at the range

Just another day at the range
June 13, 2010 07:01PM
Gary and I went out shooting a couple weeks back and had another good day at the range. This time when we showed up there was another shooter set up already. A couple guys were out hunting ground hogs with a hotrodded .243 I think it was. They had seen one but not in time to get a shot off. After some chit chat we got ourselves set up and invited them over to see the guns and take a shot. The fellow that took a shot with the Woodsman is actually a PB target shooter and he took his time and nailed a bullseye with his first ever big bore airgun shot...at 100 yards. It was a pretty impressive shot as he had to dope for the wind and only had my first shot to judge by. I don't think we converted him to airguns but he does have a story to tell!

Those guys hung around for a couple hours and never did see a GH before they moved on but they did watch all our shots using their high dollar spotting scope. I got ribbed a little for putting 3 shots into one hole at 100 yards and then pulling the next shot... I blamed it on not sorting my ammo. I enjoyed meeting some other shooters and swaping stories.

Unfortunately, the wind was pretty stiff for trophy groups. In fact, we had to come up with ways to keep the paper targets from blowing over.

range.jpg
This was the range late in the day after the new friends had left. The wagon and target next to it are at 100 yards and the target in the foreground is at 150.

search.jpg
This is Gary coming back after resetting the gopher at 150 (you can hardly see it from this view). Notice he's searching the ground for slug bits. This is how those neat artifacts are discovered, by looking for them every trip out!

good shot.jpg
We had steel critters set out between 100 and 150 yards. I think this guy was at about 110 but I can't remember for sure. I liked the shot though.

in.jpg
Gary set a partially eaten apple on this 2x4 stand at 100 yards and sprayed it florescent green. As you can see, I failed to properly account for drop and missed when I shot at it with a "Can" slug. The slug just paper punched the stand. The apple fell off but the stand barely moved.

out.jpg
The back of the hole is a little less clean! I've seen it over and over but I am always amazed by what these guns can do even at long range. The 115gr slug just blew through that old seasoned wood.

apple.jpg
I finally did hit the apple. Opened it up real nice...

ok.jpg
Here's another, smaller, apple Gary drew up on the 100 yard target. With the winds as they were I wasn't getting any super groups but I was happy with this. Certainly these shots would have been OK on any GH at 100.

green yote.jpg
Gary drew up a target for me to shoot at 150 yards as the GHs were not coming out to play. We called it a Yote but I think its more like a wolf... It would have been in real trouble. I should have taken a picture of my first shot but I was too bushed to make the 300 yard trip for a picture. My first shot was at 3 O'Clock half way between the 10 and 9 rings. After that, I kept shooting and changed pellets several times as well as aim points making a mess of the target. Note the steel target that has been placed against the front of the panel to hold it against the wind.

All in all, another good day at the range. We didn't set up for videos and I hadn't actually planned on making a post out of this trip but since nobody else besides Ced and Neil appear to be shooting anything... I figured I'd post what you might be missing!
Re: Just another day at the range
June 13, 2010 08:19PM
That trip was well worth posting thanks Jerry! Some real good shooting there in the windthumbs up
Cheers
Neil
June 13, 2010 08:47PM
Cheers Neil, I knew you'd appreciate the post!

Jerry
June 14, 2010 04:29AM
Great post Jerry, Good to see you airing out the guns and ventilating some targets. Too bad the groundhogs didn't show for some added sport.fudd
Thanks for sharing,

Kent
June 14, 2010 04:40AM
Another GREAT post Jerry.

I really like this one cause everything you guys did on this outing was beyond 100 yrds. Shooting beyond 100 yrds with an air rifle definitely provides challenges. And when you go out to 150+, it's really a chore.

I did not get a chance to get out this weekend as i was busy with family FUN but, i'm gonna try and get out maybe either this week/weekend sometime and try my hand at more 100 + yard shooting.

That apple at 100 yrds was DANG cool. ARRRGGGGH, NOW I GOTTA TRY AND DO THAT? ARRRRGGGHHHH...LOL. That was cool.

Found a problem with one of my bullet molds and corrected it, then casted some NEW bullets so i definitely gotta try and shoot these projectiles.
June 14, 2010 02:53PM
Yup, everyone has to shoot apples at 100 yards now... and get some video!

Kent, you can shoot a cantelope with the justice instead but video remains a requirement. boing

I'll have to get some video next time out...

We can have an "Exploding Apple" topic!
June 15, 2010 08:51PM
Hi Jerry,

I haven't joined in til now. Sorry. Thanks for the post.

I see you were using your "FRUMP" lens on the camera that day. WHAT did I ever do to you? eye rolling smiley Showing a man in such a state of delapidation must be a faux pas somewhere. I've thought, for some time, about offering an explanation. It would appear that "years and miles" are all I could come up with. Green bowing

Jerry did me the courteousy of avoiding the fact that my rig/barrel/slug for the day were all on different pages. The curious mind is a terrible thing to waste, and something about my slug scaling exercise for the 38 Bishop didn't fly. Literally.

Ah well, there will be another day ... another green apple ... another balding head ... and another pr. of droopy jeans ....

Gary
June 16, 2010 02:24AM
Jerry here's the video of the melon abused by the Chief Justice. I apologize about the long play, I made it before I was video facile.
[www.youtube.com]

For those who may wish to see some other videos, check Youtube under kkkkeeennt Sorry there is some dead time as I set up for the shots.

Got to get some new video!

Kent
June 16, 2010 03:50AM
That's a good start Kent but Cedric says you have to open it up to 100 yards... shootersurprised

I've seen you hit those little blocks at about that range so a nice melon will be easy. Gary says you can do it offhand over your shoulder using a mirror to sight! stunned

Better get the camera out!
June 16, 2010 06:10AM
Nice vid Kent. Man, don't ya just love the EXPERTS over there on YOUTUBE. Those guys crack me up.

And yes, it is now OFFICIAL.

All fruit shot on this forum must NOW BE SHOT AT 100 yards or more. I got to either do an ORANGE or APPLE at that distance. I'm smiling now just thinking about doing it.

Then after i hit the apple at 100 yrds, i'll go for an EASY cherry at 150 yrds. Heeeey, I'm not dreaming..lol
June 16, 2010 02:26PM
That's great.

Escalate, Escalate, Escalate .... in a couple of months, it will be raisins at a mile!

I'd be happy to see 20% of the forum shoot a watermellon from 10 yards. whistling
June 18, 2010 10:27PM
Hey, you didn't say what a mess a watermelon at 10 yards makes! I have to go clean the camera off. Nothing to post here! self-hammer
June 19, 2010 02:11AM
GB, I definitely understand where your coming from.

A lot of people with not only AIRGUNS but people with BIG BORES. And it seems like no one is really shooting em. People sell there children to get the latest greatest then.....POOF......their gone. But oh well, i don't mind cause it just gives ME a chance to shine.....LOL.

Joking!!!! but it would be nice to see someone else with a cool airgun do a COOL shot........ON VIDEO!
June 19, 2010 04:51PM
Cedric,

What can I say. I'm with you. Been griping about it for years. People feel they paid the freight ... I should just butt out. They'll shoot it if they want. They'll shove it in the closet if they want. The story about how they were gonna use it was usually just smoke and mirrors.

You remember that gun I worked my guts out to make just perfect for the guy to do nusiance Beaver removal? The exact feet per second. The exact number of shots. The perfect trigger. The oversized moderator for usage in residential areas at night. Well, it just sold - with all the ammo I'd sent with it. Guess we know why we never got the promised pictures, stories, etc.

I've had the same story over about a hundred times now. People wonder why I'm so synical. Everybody promises that THEY will be the one to burn up the internet with pics and stories of using the work. I make one extra quiet for their property situation. I make one extra adjustable so they can turn it way down. You see what you see. This is as good as it gets.

Yes - before you ask - it does strip away the vast amount of excitement I could get in completing one and getting it shipped. Anymore, I know the drill. But hey ... that next one is gonna be the one that gives you a run for the money Cedric.

Gary
June 19, 2010 07:08PM
....And that's why people should sign up for the very affordable "send it to Jerry for field shooting and video documentation" option!

In fact, folks that have already taken delivery can still send me the guns and I will (for a nominal fee) go out and enjoy them on their behalf. Full documentation is bundled in the modest fee. wow
June 19, 2010 09:00PM
You may have something there Jerry!

You could develop this. Maybe a calander. Every month, a new setting out shooting. Putting the case in the trunk of your hot rod in July. Shooting the Thanksgiving turkey. Dress up like the kid in Christmas story and "Prang burglars climbing over the fence" in December. 'Course ... you'd have to keep it for a year to do it right. whistling But people wouldn't have to bother to go have fun themselves. They could flip thru the pages.

I like it ... hummm.

Gary
June 19, 2010 10:30PM
I'm thinking of incorporating as this could be a real money maker! How about JVFS Inc. for a name? It stands for Jerry's Vicarious Fun Service. More coffee
June 20, 2010 07:51AM
Jerry,

Yeah, you do have a good idea. Hell, i wanna offer that program too...lol.

I promise i will video tape it. Takes Photos of it. Strip it down to its bare elegance and clean it all up. Bath it, take it for rides in my car and feed it all the air it can handle, if they would just send me their guns.

Heck, i paid 1700 dollars for my Rapid 25 and i shoot that thing more than the cheaper guns. Including my powder burners.
June 20, 2010 04:49PM
I haven't even started yet and I have competition! not lookin' good

Aha! I have the molds for a bunch of Gary's guns so I have an advantage! nerd Send me those guns now! I promise to feed them the good stuff! shooter
June 22, 2010 06:19PM
Hehehe, don't forget me, the "International Test Bed", my offer of testing services has been open for some time, remember! shooter with bench rifle
Cheers
Neil
June 26, 2010 02:23AM
HE HE, i got a lemon at 101 yards, video coming soon
June 26, 2010 05:23PM
We're waiting ... whistling

heheh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021