Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shoot to Thrill

Shoot to Thrill
June 29, 2010 05:02AM
Boy it's been HOT here! I did get a chance to break out the Casio and a new "find", a Delta 32. I know the requests have been for melons at 100 yards, offhand, with the Chief Justice, but you'll just have to take what you can get. To maximize the video play time, this was not shot at 100 yards but at 15 and at a bench to boot.

[www.youtube.com]

I let the first tomato on the video play for a while as I love the way the stem seems to hang forever at the end.

The upload took a bit of time to YouTube as bands of rain from Alex circled overhead cutting my upload to satellite.

My chrono showed the 97 grain Bishops were moving at 816 fps for 143 ft pounds. Max power thus far was with a LFC 177 grain at 664 fps for 174 ft pounds. I haven't checked for optimum fill pressure yet.

The pics of the rifle will be added later when I have a proper scope mounted. I have one on backorder and instead mounted a borrowed 3x9 off a muzzle loader.

Hope you enjoy,

Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 05:11AM by Cajun Justice.
Anonymous User
Re: Shoot to Thrill
June 29, 2010 05:21AM
Great slow motion shot, the bullet was still rotating when it came back into the frame at the end. Poor mater never had a chance. I enjoyed that one, kind of reminded me groundhog hunting for some reason..bad dude

Good grief, we have to have the most complete set of smiley art on the web!!
June 29, 2010 08:30AM
Hehehe, nice sauce-making Kent! I couldn't help but notice how swift the retribution was for that yellowy tomato that only shed its top on the first shot...boy you made it pay!injured
Great video
Neil
June 29, 2010 11:58AM
Total carnage! Very nice.

How 'bout a pic of the rifle? smiling bouncing smiley

-- Jim
June 29, 2010 12:08PM
HI Joe, I thought that the spinning piece was the slug at first too. Closer inspection reveals it is the tomato stem. It seems to have some lift generated by the spin? The splat effect is greater than I would expect from melon, BONUS!

Hey Neil, the thing didn't have a chance! I was forced to guestimate the aimpoint on the cross hair and was a little high for round one, Or maybe it moved.scared, I've got to find those little blindfolds!

These tomato's were softened from partial rot, that's what put them in front of the wall. I add that for all the fellow tomato lovers up north who are still starring at the little green ones in the garden, hoping to hurry them to the plate.Jack-O-Lantern

Kent
June 29, 2010 02:00PM
Wow ... what a rush! hahaha.

I had my sound all the way up too. First sip of coffee of the morning. One achy eyelid open. laughing again hahaha.

Glad things are coming along with that gun. As I recall, the desire was to simulate the ballistics of 22LR that had been used for varmint removal. I'll look up the specs. I recall Jerry and I got five dead level shots at the range at above the target spec. The Falcon was to be the default slug.

Where'd you get a 177 grain? You don't have the teflon tap out again, do you Kent? why me hahah.

Great video. The camera is working well too.

Hey - BTW ... we did well this year. We've eaten a few tomatoes over the past several weeks. Really. Very early for us. We have the grape tomatoes and some little golf ball sizes ones. Try as I might, and buy big boy, beef steak, big girl, better girl ... everything I can find to get a full sized sandwich tomatoe ... some creep has evidently switched all the tags around. Haven't had a decent 4" tomato in a decade up here! argh!!!

Gary
June 29, 2010 02:07PM
I thought this was mildly humorous. This is the comment that Kent made when I showed the pics of this finished gun in Feb. 09. You'll note we've now seen far more shooting from it in this first video under Kent's watch, than in the previous 16 months. laughing again

Cajun Justice [ PM ]
Re: Delta 32 Complete - Pics
February 23, 2009 11:34PM IP/Host: 76-75-8-9.vnet-inc.com

Gary,

That should be just what he needs and more. I hope we get some feed back on how the gun works for its intended purpose. It may have some practical application to real life hunting of medium game.

I bet he shoots better than ever with such a fine gun.

Kent
June 30, 2010 12:24AM
So, finally a sequel to that classic of schlock horror "Attack of the Killer Tomatos" ? Only this time, it's the tomatos that take a pasting. grinning smiley

OK, OK, I'll ease up on the bad puns if you show us some pics of the rifle. smiling bouncing smiley Is this the "beaver gun" of recent fame and legend?
June 30, 2010 01:21AM
Look in Gary's Galleries.

First post named Delta 32.

[www.airgunrendezvous.com]

Gary
June 30, 2010 01:46AM
Heck of a cool video and yeah, that stem just hung there and hung there and hung there. I was like, "hurry and reload and shoot it while its still suspended in air". Then i remembered it was SLOW MOTION VIDEO. But it did seem in real time like you could have shot at it again...lol.

I also was scared by the music and i loved "no GOOD tomatoes were harmed in this video"....lol
June 30, 2010 04:00AM
Great video Kent! You're getting the hang of this slo-mo stuff fast! Bad, bad tomatos got just what they deserved!
June 30, 2010 05:33AM
Kent,

Great video, thanks!

You didn't happen to get that gun cheap at a pawn shop did you? Shroud, laminate stock.sick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2010 05:34AM by Bigbore.
June 30, 2010 06:26AM
Uhmmm, hey Kent. Did I mention that we have beaver up here in Alaska? You know there's no way to tell how well it'd do on those without actually testing it out on the real thing. I guess you could just send it up here for a couple months and I could find out for you. more innocent

Sean
July 01, 2010 04:10AM
Whew, Thanks Gary for showing some pics. I was afraid Lon may have thought I was handling stolen property. Lon, I can let you close your eyes while you pull the trigger to bring back the memories. I would love to have you stop around sometime. I hope that someday your Delta shows up and you'll let me relive my first Barnes trigger pull you let me have at SS IV.

Pic will follow when the gun has proper glass and the lighting is right. Kind of a Glamor Shots deal.

Kent
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021