Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Surefire product and price list removed

Surefire product and price list removed
July 08, 2010 03:47PM
Yesterday I posted a product list and I made a couple mistakes. The list showed all the .58s at one price and while that was true when the .58s we had molds for were of similar weight and complexity, it is not true now, in fact; we don't even have molds for ALL the .58s. The list also did not mention that we don't have the tooling to size the .87s nor did it mention that we don't have every mold in the Barnes portfolio. I probably made some pricing errors other than the .58s too but I'm not going to try to go through that now.

In any case, given the number of variables regarding slug selection, I'm not going to try and fix the list. Most of the guys that shoot know if we have what they need and that they'll get a fair price. Those just starting out can email me and find out if we have what they need or what the start-up costs would be for new production.

Sorry for any confusion caused.
Re: Surefire product and price list removed
July 08, 2010 04:49PM
I'd like to add some info. for clarity.

Jerry and his Sons do a fine job of producing a quality product. They do this with a collection of tools. Some, of their own purchase from commercial companies. Some from Barnes equipment that they origonally purchased for their own use, and then pressed into service for other Barnes owners. Some of the Barnes equipment they use, is on lone from other Barnes customers ... who use their service, and allow the use of their tooling for other Barnes owners. Quite a lot of the Barnes tooling that they use, is on lone from Barnes Pneumatic.

That being said; Surefire Casting is not a Barnes Pneumatic franchise. They've not purchased exclusive rights to all Barnes casting tooling. Thus - they didn't get a complete franchise "kit". They provide a service to my customers, and we're closely aligned thru that and friendship. There will be holes in the fabric. Barnes Pneumatic is not Winchester Arms. Therefore; I cannot afford to produce a full copy of every bit of tooling I've made since the beginning, loan it out free of charge, and then maintain it all. As a result, there will be times when customers want something for which Jerry doesn't have tooling in house. That might also be the time when I simply cannot stop and make custom tooling to loan, so that a customer might not have to purchase his own.

It needs to be understood that I haven't gauranteed free use of my custom made casting tooling - or that Jerry will be standing by fully prepared to supply any and all slugs on demand. This is the customer's hobby. It takes a complete set of clubs to play golf. I can't just give away a custom built putter if someone buys the driver. That's the retail game. Buy one, get one free. Doesn't work out when everything starts from billet or planks, and is hand made.

So; I see that Jerry has commented that most everyone who uses his service knows the drill. That's correct. And, I see that he offers more and more commercial mold products as well. Their business got started to help serve my customers. Many of my customers chose not to shoot. So; Surefire has branched out each month. We've co-operated with the release of some custom Barnes product that happens to fit commercial needs. We've also developed some Barnes custom product specifically for other manufacturer's guns.

What's never been claimed is that the slugs for my guns come from a different world than the guns themselves. While I almost always make sure that there are commercial ball or slugs that are usable for all of my guns (or are easily adaptable for default use) ... still; my custom guns require custom slugs for best performance. It can't be expected that all custom production will be available at all times. It's a handmade process, using handmade tooling. It all takes time. I can either be making a sizing die, or engraving. I don't stop engraving in order to make a sizing die.

One of the reasons most builders who dabble in building guns do not make custom casting tooling, is that it's a dead loss and an ecomonic drain. For some reason, there's an underlying current that expects it to be provided in a painless and super economical manner. Of course, that's not everyone; but it's enough of a baseline to make costs involved in providing superior custom ammo to be viewed with surprise and shock. However; once you buy the private jet ... you better be prepared to fuel and maintain it. You don't drive it up to the Mini-Mart for gas.

Please use Surefire Casting for most of your ammo needs. If you buy Barnes, they might be able to help you on many products. They won't have a complete set of anything I've ever dreamed up. That's for the customer to provide. They'll use if, if you provide it.

Hope it helps.

Gary
Anonymous User
July 09, 2010 03:18AM
Gary i have a question. I bought a mold to go with the Yukon gs. Will they use that and make some rounds for me? db
July 09, 2010 12:59PM
We will be happy to cast slugs for you using a supplied mold. We do that now for other customers.
July 09, 2010 02:12PM
There ya go Don,

Yer all set. They'll cover ya up with slugs if you let them!

haha.

Gary
Anonymous User
July 10, 2010 03:13AM
Thanx Jerry can't wait. I am sure that Gary will come up with the best mold to fit the monster. I have two air rifles and one is an air force condor in 22 caliber and sam yang 45 .db
July 11, 2010 03:09AM
Don, I can attest to the quality and value that Jerry and the boys put into their product. "festive" I've sent Surefire my moulds, not because I can't cast but because they do such a great job that I can't touch it for the price. Don't forget to get some of those cool colors too!

Kent
Anonymous User
July 17, 2010 02:00AM
Thank's for the info Kent. Do you have a Yukon?db
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021