Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

One Step Closer . . .

One Step Closer . . .
August 22, 2010 01:09PM
. . . to my range badge.

MD_safe_hunter.jpg

I got a perfect 100% on the written test, too. scholar

I know . . . you took your safety class when you were 10. But give me kudos for being willing to learn "new" stuff at my advanced age. fudd

So . . . now I can get my range badge at the private gun club I joined a few months ago. It's only 12 minutes away, and they have 25, 50, 100, and 200 yard ranges. Paper targets only, but that's OK.

My question to the community: what is the best way to present the idea of shooting big bore air guns on the range? I had inquired prior to joining, but none of my sponsors ever got back to me with any info. I think the only potential issue would be liability and insurance coverage. I recall Lon and Keith having some issues with having carbon fiber tanks on the firing line at a public range. Should I drag Gary and Jerry over here for a day of show and tell to the powers that be? And actually, such a day might go a long way towards opening up an airgun season here in MD. Hmmmm . . .

-- Jim
Re: One Step Closer . . .
August 22, 2010 03:58PM
I'll have to check the current rates for being dragged before committees. However; as I recall ... it was pretty steep.

And, here in the people's republic of Maryland ... I'm still not convinced that we "need" additional awareness of public officials. You can do all the hunting in your own back yard, with a rock on a string. rudolph

Gary
Anonymous User
August 22, 2010 11:07PM
I'm sure people will be looking, no staring at first. There will be a lot of smirking and jokes going on behing your back. Then after you shoot the first group some will become interested and others mad because your BB gun just outshot their favorite REAL gun. Couple of things you can do to make your experience more pleasing, arrive with your gun cased. Have a good cart or carrier for you equipment. Have your carbonfiber tank cased as well if possible. Choose a bench down on the end of the line, so you won't have hot brass flying all over you. Be prepared to answer a zillion questions before you leave. Contrary to what you may think there will be some airgun people there.
August 22, 2010 11:54PM
Good tips there.

As you shoot, you might note (if you look down the line) that spotting scopes are turned onto YOUR target. That's always very funny.

That might be a good idea to case the tank. People like to freak at new stuff. Your tank might go inside one of those duffle / cargo bags some carry instead of a suitcase. Regulator and everything in there ... only a small microbore snaking out to see. I like that tip.

Gary
August 23, 2010 08:47PM
And when you pick that bench on the end of the shooting line, pick the one all the way to the left. Since most semi-autos toss their hot brass to the right, it'll all be flying AWAY from you. grinning smiley

(spoken like someone that's done the ".223 down the collar dance" more than oncehot smiley)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021