Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sit down work ... carving

Sit down work ... carving
September 15, 2010 10:55PM
The back has been hurting since the last injections. Who knows why ... always something. But, constantly moving from place to place and hanging over machines has been painful. I've decided to sit and carve for awhile.

Timber Wolf Stock 002.JPG

Timber Wolf Stock 008.JPG

Timber Wolf Stock 005.JPG

Timber Wolf Stock 008.JPG

Nice dirty, dusty work ... if you can get it. ;?)

Gary
Re: Sit down work ... carving
September 16, 2010 01:10AM
Very nice work, Gary-something that just can't be mass-produced.
September 16, 2010 01:49AM
Thanks Doug. take a bow

It builds, layer upon layer. Here's the state of one side - last session.

a_carving_progress.jpg

Gary
September 16, 2010 04:52AM
Wow! What more can I add.hot smiley

Lon
September 16, 2010 01:04PM
take a bow Thanks Lon.
Anonymous User
September 16, 2010 03:54AM
Nice Gary, actually nice does not come close, more like exquisette, if I spelled that right. what was that Do you carve using a foredom tool Gary? it must take an amazing amount of concentration and patience to do that large of a panel. I imagine the farther along you get the more the pressure builds as well. Thanks for the look, I definitely enjoyed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2010 03:58AM by Joe Hoover.
September 16, 2010 01:15PM
Hi Joe,

A Foredom or Dremel could be used. I just got into rotary air tools long ago. I have several different types I use for different portions of the build.

They are very large panels. Of course, it's replicated on the reverse side too., And, the reverse is an origonal drawing - not a stencil or something.

Fatigue is a factor. I've been trying to build some endurance doing some of the background bulk techniques left handed. Doing the detail right handed. It will take awhile to build up endurance. If I did more of it, it would be better. There's also the issue of mood effecting skill. I try to do as much of a given "layer" in one sitting. In that way, there's less of a change in technique from session to session. Not as big of a factor in smaller areas.

I'm glad you like it. It has a couple of more layers to go, and the reverse side is behind this side now. I enjoy doing this work, but you have to do a vast amount of work before you have something to carve. The action has to be done before I start the stock. Stock has to inletted to the action ya know. So; the gun is 95% complete before you start the stock. That's another factor. By the time you do the stock (which is 95% of what people want to see) ... you are pretty thoroughly sick of the project. And, you have to pull off the big finish. It's all reversed ya know. The last 5% of the work gets 95% of the attention, so you have to stick with it to the end.

Gary
September 17, 2010 09:04PM
AWESOME!!! grinning smileywowtake a bow
September 17, 2010 10:11PM
Thank you Scott.

(Nice smilie usage ... hehe)

GAry
September 19, 2010 10:54PM
Move it up ... combine with the rest of the thread.
October 01, 2010 08:26PM
pah ,,, i had to re read it ,,, for a second i thought you said ,,,,
you do the easy bits with your left hand ,,,, to give the right one a rest.
you could use a lathe with your toes at the same time if you find left hnded deep relief carving just too easy .
outstanding results however you do it .
t
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021