Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

They nearly got me eye popping smiley

They nearly got me eye popping smiley
December 08, 2010 03:59PM
You think I don't have a special "timing" and luck? WELL! Try this one ...

It's been nasty, nasty windy and COLD here for waaay too long. I finally got it in my head, last night, that it was time to remove a couple of the window air conditioner units from the windows. This came about because I was being slapped by the curtain, and my feet were blue. whistling
Well, after coffee this am (I've been working late in the evenings ... mornings are NOT my happy time anyway ... as everything hurts worse then. Well, after coffee, I decide it's now or never. I get a dust vac, and begin the process of removing a unit from the front second story bedroom window. I move the blinds and remove some styrofoam seal material. I retract the side accordian panels. I take note that nothing else is holding it. I test the weight. OK ... raise the window a few inches. Here goes ... BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My heart stops!!! I mean .... stops. WHAT???? .... and then, thru the tree branches, I see at least four men with rifles raised, on the second story concrete deck of the home directly across the street!!! As my heart tries a little ... arRrrr .... ahrrrrr..rr..ra like a weak starter .... I notice the men are in military full dress....

I've lived across the street from a funeral home for 31 years. We got a call from them yesterday, telling us that a military funeral was taking place today. There would be, as they reported, a 21 gun salute. And, it's occured to me, several times since ... but ... NOT THEN .... scared I was able to watch (from a very close eyeball to eyeball position) the following volley.

The funeral home is perhaps a 1910-20 era building. Converted to it's present use eons ago. The first of the family, lived in the large second story apartment. One addition to the building, most likely in the 60's ... left a huge flat concrete deck with iron railings around it. The concrete is the roof of the building section below. Iron steps go up there. And, it was up there that the Military Honor Gaurd went for their rifle salute (and sneak assult upon myself ... injured .... hahaha.

God Bless the Honored Dead. And I'm very grateful for their service. I never expected to be present for their salute ... carrying an air conditioner ... crazy
Re: They nearly got me eye popping smiley
December 08, 2010 08:30PM
Glad to hear your heart is still ticking Gary...Allen.
December 08, 2010 10:21PM
December 09, 2010 12:53AM
It's nice that in the town of New Windsor, the funeral home is able to honor those who have served our country. I thought for sure, that the BOOM would be the AC unit crashing to the ground. The honor guard might have really taken a shot at you. That would be enough to wake the dead!

If next year it does slam to the ground, cover the mistake by sticking your head out the window and yelling "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore! bullhorn

Kent
December 09, 2010 05:03AM
" I thought for sure, that the BOOM would be the AC unit crashing to the ground"

Me too.

Lon
December 09, 2010 04:11PM
Good story Gary. I'm pleased everything is still intact, other than perhaps your nerves.....electrified
December 13, 2010 05:14AM
You got me with that one.take a bow

The first thing that came to mind when I read the "four guys with rifles" line was "I thought Gary took care of his squirrel problem by himself..."grinning smiley
December 14, 2010 03:52PM
or the squirrels have hired a hit man to take care of the gary problem ,,,,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021