Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Odds and Ends

Odds and Ends
December 17, 2010 03:15AM
Just wanted to drop a note ...

Hope you are enjoying the Christmas Season. I've enjoyed many things already.

I've gotten some things done which I had on the list. Can't show those yet - Santa said. There's a couple I can't get done yet. I notified the folks of that, and they've been good about it.

I'd love it if I only ever had great stuff to report. That's what you come to read. I try. The things I deal with are real though ... so, things like a messed up week with a new drug being integrated into my pain management is real. If I ate pain killers, by the hand full, without any reason ... then I'd be a drug addict. I'm not. So; there's very real medical reasons I need those items ... and those conditions flare up. I deal with it and move on. But I don't get the time back, and it's no fun.

I finished a few gifts. Can't show those either .... Shhhhh.

It snowed again today. Been seriously cold - relatively speaking for our area and this time of year. Another $570 of fuel oil went into the tanks ... so I'm glad to start the holidays topped up. Wish the weather would moderate though ... it's expensive.

You recall the new lathe from several months ago ... it's doing a really good job. I like it a bunch.

I hope your travel, and that of your loved ones is safe and swift this season. I'll be right here. Looking forward to some turkey and feet up a bit.

Thank you for participating in the forum this year. Thanks for your patience. My progress is slower than I'd like ... believe me. The quality is better than ever though. And, BTW ... one of the reasons I couldn't just cram the last screws in these few guns and ship them is because I don't do that. They need to be proofed in order for me to feel they have the best opportunity to be enjoyed and trusted. One went out so far. The others are coming along. And, I'm roughly (and that's the truth) getting my meds sorted out again. In January I'll get injections again. And, keep at it.

Merry Christmas. take a bow

God Bless,

Gary
Re: Odds and Ends
December 17, 2010 12:26PM
Gary and all others,

Let me take advantage of your introduction to this topic and write a few words…

Christmas is a great time to share with family and friends. I would like to invite you all to celebrate the spirit of this Holiday Season.

I would like to wish all of you: Health, Happiness, Peace, Prosperity, Faith and Blessings.

Let’s enjoy this special time and welcome a 2011 full of opportunities and make the best out of it.

Happy Holidays!

Julio
December 18, 2010 06:05AM
Julio,

Thank you. Igualmente.

Lon
December 17, 2010 12:37PM
Gary,

I was looking at your town on the Google sat. map last night at work, I happened to spot it while looking for something else, small town!

I haven't fired up my lathe since the last project, it really burned me out.Even more coffee I took today off to use up the last off my time off before the calander year closes at work, "use it or loose it". I'm probably going to work on the Ruger 10/22 today, I need to tweak some mod.'s. I may shoot tomorrow, I'll see.

Hope you feel better. I've been waking up with aches and pains myself a lot lately, keep your drug guy's business card handy.injured

Lon
December 18, 2010 04:54AM
Merry Christmas everyone! Gary, I hope the holidays give you a break from your pains. I know the future Barnes owners will see the patience you exercise in each of your creations.

Lon, what lathe do you have in your shop? Can you recommend some reading to get a beginner heading in the right direction?

Hi Julio!

Kent
December 18, 2010 05:52AM
Kent,

I have a cheap chinese 7 X 12 I bought Waaaay back from Toolsnow. It's been sitting mostly due to lack of time and space.

I read The Home Machinist's Handbook by Doug Briney as a primer and thought it was great, cheap too. I suspect you are beyond that though by the looks of your shop. I also bought Audel's Machine Shop Basics by Rex Miller & Mark Richard Miller but haven't started it yet. It's supposed to be the machine shop bible but I don't see much lathe specific material in it. It has quite a bit about metal working and is very highly regarded. I have 3 other books in progress and haven't been spending enough time with them so it may be a while before I get going on the metal work again.

I'm wrapping up a Ruger 10/22 that I had laying around. The burglars didn't want it, true story. I picked up a target barrel and Hogue rubber overmolded stock on sale at Midway USA cheap so I'm putting it together to replace my "built to the hilt" that they didn't pass on.

YouTube is a good source of metal working instruction and Gary could probably recommend a good broom for the shop if you asked.more innocent I'm just dabbling from time to time, my main focus is wrestling with realtors. Used car salesmen have been getting a bum rap, realtors make them seem like angels!red faced

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2010 05:56AM by Bigbore.
December 18, 2010 07:08PM
Julio:

That was a wonderful message. Unfortunately, I'm not nearly as eloquent as you are but I would like to take this opportunity to wish all of you a Merry Christmas and the best for the new year.

Warmest Regards to all,

Karl
December 20, 2010 09:10PM
If you wish ... take note of my "Celebration of Revision" post in "I'm just saying" section.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021