Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hollow test

Hollow test
January 26, 2011 08:30PM
Just a few quick pic.

Shot a few 32 pellets into clay ... backwards. You can see how they umbrella instantly. Go from 845 fps to 0 in .180" of an inch. How's that for braking? haha

First is the medium pellet that did so well last night. Second the short one. last - for kicks ... a 97 grain pellet - backwards. Of course, the gun isn't set for that. But - it blew out pretty fast.

Gary
Pellets - Hollow Points 002.JPG
Pellets - Hollow Points 005.JPG
Pellets - Hollow Points 007.JPG
Pellets - Hollow Points 008.JPG
Pellets - Hollow Points 011.JPG
Pellets - Hollow Points 018.JPG
Re: Hollow test
January 26, 2011 08:48PM
Gary:

Do you remember that .32 hollow point that you developed a few years ago, that looked like an empty can? It was developed for short range pest control.

Are this new pellets behaving in the same way if you shoot them backwards?

It's clear that they are transfering the energy on impact, but IIRC the other hollow points had the charasteristic of loosing speed quickly.

Julio
January 26, 2011 10:09PM
Helloo Julio,

I haven't done flight testing - just some "smack down" entertainment.

I might shoot some tonight, as it's snowing like the next Ice Age here now. (How about you ... snowing there too?) Hey - I made a snowman for Kelly today. About 10" tall. Much like your snowman trophy you keep on your desk. .... hahaha. Snowman

I'll take a few pics later. Gee ... If I only had a Nautilus. And ... if you only had a Nautilus flask ... hahah.

Gary
January 26, 2011 10:32PM
Hahaah! You see Gary.. If you want, I can send to you the Nautilus front end...

You just have to ask..

Julio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2011 10:36PM by Julio.
January 27, 2011 12:36AM
Time to get out the gel for limited penetration testing!
January 27, 2011 04:49AM
Surprising how fast the energy is stopped. Those G-forces would shock a critter good. I wonder if that would be enough for those pesky jack rabbits Tofaz has been chasing lately. I remember using blunt tip arrows on bunnies with good success but broad heads might zip right through letting the bunny bolt away in a burst of adrenaline. Now those jacks were considerably bigger than the bunnies. Come to think of it, I did take a couple of New Mex jacks with judo point blunts and these dropped in their tracks.

Now if I can get to CA for some testing...

Kent
January 27, 2011 02:24PM
Hi Kent,

Last I knew ... it was sort of ... to your right .... when facing the Gulf. More coffee

Yes - it was surprising, how fast they stopped! I've got some squirrels around here, that are attic pests. Might have to seek their co-operation during the testing phase.

Yeah - I'll bet they'd flatten a bunny good. But - Cedric's barrels are all "funny sizes", I think ... laughing

Gary
January 27, 2011 03:27PM
Gary,

That slug is practically turned inside out. About 50% O.D. increase?

These slugs still in the special room at the Skunk Works - picture?

Lon
January 27, 2011 06:08PM
Hi Lon,

Yeah - they completely rolled the skirt inside out.

I know ... I'd like to post more pics too. Ya know ... if some company was gonna make a million of them, and give me a dime for developing them ... I'd love it. But, just to show the length that works, the skirt thickness that's correct to cast, the shape of the cavity which doesn't stick as well and gives good balance, etc., it just buggs me to give it away. If I ever figure how to make a nickel on slugs, I'll post 'em.

Of course, if you find a nice Barnes 32 used, then you can buy a tin of them. That's the ticket. If you find two of 'em ... let me know - I'd like one too.

smileys with beer

Gary
January 27, 2011 06:17PM
BTW ... yes ... that was about 50% increase ... and that was probably only about 80 fpe. Shot from a 200+ fpe rifle, that would be quite a shock.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 2
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021