Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No animals were harmed in the making of this post.....

No animals were harmed in the making of this post.....
January 15, 2011 05:38PM
......unfortunately!! I made a quick day trip (3 hour drive each way) to the West Coast to try out a new hunting site. The site was near Thirteen Mile Creek, which, coincidentally, is 13 miles North of Greymouth (Incidentally, Greymouth is the town nearest the Pike River coal mine, which claimed 29 lives in an explosion late last year...). Well, I was hunting with a friend from the Coast, an experienced powder-burner hunter, a few years younger that Gary and I. We first went to the creek and got some directions as to where a track up into the bush started. In this picture, the track began at the top of the grassy area, or at least, allegedly..
Photobucket
We had to pick our way through stinging nettles and fallen trees, up a very steep incline, before some semblance of a track was found. Then it was a scramble UPHILL for the next 2 hours, under logs, over logs, around logs, slips and rocks, me lugging a pack with an air bottle in it in case I needed more that 3 shots...and a scramble it was, me fighting to keep up with my pal. I thought I was fit, but this guy was a machine! It was a hot day, so the sweat was flowing so much I thought I was melting. But the views were worth it..
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The shots aren't sharply defined due to a haze coming off the crashing surf.
Here's the track at its best, just before the next fallen tree..
Photobucket
..and the .50 cal having a rest on a steep slip during a photo break..
Photobucket
Well, after 2 hours of climbing, not a shot had been fired in anger. My pal spotted 2 deer down off the side of the track, but by the time he unslung his rifle, they were gone. By the time I looked over the side, all I saw was a movement in the bush. There were considerable fresh wild goat prints, but not a goat to be seen. So we began the scramble back down the mountain, and arrived (exhausted in my case) back at the car for one more photo opportunity..
Photobucket
It's difficult to beat the Coast for lush bush and beautiful scenery. Could have done with a deer or a goat to complete the day, but that's hunting I guess!
Cheers
Neil
PS My pal went out again the next day to a different site and bagged a deer. Grrrrr!
Re: No animals were harmed in the making of this post.....
January 15, 2011 06:47PM
Aweee man, when you said WEST COAST i thought you ment California....lol. That scenery looks just like some areas up north hear in cali off the coastal highway (PCH).

Nice scenery and sounds like some good times.
January 16, 2011 04:55PM
Neil,

You have to take a picture of a New Zealand garbage dump or car wrecking yard. I'm beginning to think there isn't a square inch of New Zealand that isn't paradise.wink

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2011 04:58PM by Bigbore.
January 16, 2011 07:35PM
Sorry you didn't get a shot off Neil! That's a lot of exercise but at least the pictures are great and you spent some time well.
January 16, 2011 01:06AM
Hi Neil,

Wow. I'm always dumbstruck by the scenery. Amazing. Gosh - only animals you's see in places like that would be unicorns and six foot tall rabbits! Oh ... you have those 6' rabbits ... roos ... forgot. hahaha.

When you mentioned your bud was a few years younger then you and I ... I said to myself .... EVERYBODY is a few years younger then ..... hahah.

Sorry you didn't get any shooting in. You were clearly too prepared. Next time ... just fill the gun, take one ball in the gun, and one in your pocket. You will guarantee that you need more. haha.

Wonderful place. Just amazing. Thanks for the post.

Gary
January 16, 2011 01:07PM
a welcome change of pace from what we are seeing around here when we look out the window - haha

even without "success" I'd say it was a day well spent!
January 16, 2011 03:28PM
Hi Neil:

Amazing views and scenery!

Where you live, do you have hunting seasons? Or you can go hunting when ever you want all year round?

It was too bad that you didn't bagged your goat or dear. I believe that this uncertainty plays a huge part of the hunting adventure.

You can ask Gary about it. (MS dear hunt)

Thanks for posting such a complete story, for a moment I felt like I was walking with you and your friend on a trail and sweating...

Julio
January 16, 2011 04:07PM
Ask Gary .....

Oh ... THAT's COLD ... Snowman

winking smiley
January 17, 2011 02:42AM
Beautiful trip Neil,

I agree with everyone that the scenery is spectacular in all your trekking pics. Those peaks sure would put anyones lungs to the test. Not an easy stroll for anyone. Do let us know if visitors are welcome for safari in your country?

I hope the flooding wasn't a problem for you or yours.

Thanks for posting ,

Kent
January 17, 2011 06:45AM
Thanks guys! You'll be pleased to know I have recovered and am ready for another hunt, when the opportunity arises....fudd
Julio, no season on goats, deer, pigs or wallabies, as they are all introduced pests. Just knowing where to go and finding an opportunity.
Kent, you're welcome to come "on safari" anytime! BTW, we are free of floods thanks, they are happening over the Tasman in Australia. We have enough to contend with here, earthquake -wise!!
Regards
Neil
January 23, 2011 07:56AM
I thought that the helicopter hunters cleared out the deer years ago, did they miss some? I guess it wouldn't take many to restore the population, unfortunately.
January 28, 2011 06:35PM
Hi Sean
Sorry I missed your post. Deer have thrived throughout the country, despite intensive helicopter trapping/culling some years back. I think that became uneconomic and is only occasionally practised now. The nature of the bushland too will have ensured the survival of the species, in many places just too dense to allow aerial shooting.
Cheers
Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021