Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Range testing ... in the snow

Range testing ... in the snow
February 08, 2011 01:55AM
The Hawk action - dropped into an unfinished stock ... and the pellets were laying there. An hour of shooting seemed possible, since the day here was somewhat warmer. It was later than I thought, before I decided to go shoot some. And, it got colder quickly, as it fell toward sundown.

It's traditional to forget a few critical things, when packing for the range. I forgot three, to be exact. One ... bench bags. Two ... targets (I'd bought some small candies to use for small "clay birds"). Three ... I forgot that it's COLD in the snow! And I've paid for it this evening. Remind me not to do that again until Spring.

I'd even packed up a couple of cameras and tri-pods. I was gonna get a bit of high speed footage of blasting the small candies with the pellets at distance. That's what sort of pushed me over the edge of ... should I? ... shouldn't I? ... hey ... let's so it! Then, I left one camera. Good thing I didn't pack for Lewis and Clark. Ah ... the best plans.

a_hawk32_b.jpg

a-hawk32.jpg

a_pellet.jpg

The new 32 pellet

a_vel_48Hawk.jpg

Velocity of said pellet from Hawk 32 (not bad with it's 13" barrel)

Hawks, etc 060.JPG

30 yards freezing ...

Hawks, etc 062.JPG

50 yards turned blue ...

Hawks, etc 065.JPG

And, just LOOK at my brand new sandwich board target backer I made right before leaving the shop. RUINED I tell you!!! 1/4" face and 1/2" plywood back ... the "pellets" were blasting the heck out of it at 50 yards.

And ... Gary has left the building!

You will see that my leather coat became a bench bag. That means that my achy shoulder became a real pain. I was wearing a heavy flannel shirt, but the cold seeped thru. And hunching over a tailgate ... I should know better ... self-hammer

At least this time, I had my feet on a tarp, but I was sitting on a small step stool.

Blasted out a few groups, wobbling around on a first aid kit for a front bag. That didn't work. Found a box of wet wipes, that I added to the pile ... that didn't work. Finally, I found a small bucket, and balled up my jacket. That worked half decent ... but I soon figured I'd seen enough! haha.

But hey! I went shooting!

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2011 03:50AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Range testing ... in the snow
February 08, 2011 05:44AM
Gary,

That slug looks great!

Lon
February 08, 2011 06:51AM
Good improvisation Gary! And yes, at least you got out shooting....beats the rest of usshooter with bench rifle
Interesting looking slug, and seems to do the business in the freezing coldSnowman
Cheers
Neil
February 08, 2011 02:23PM
Why doesn't everyone do this stuff? stunned
February 08, 2011 02:38PM
Yeah ... I wonder too ... brick wall

It feels sooooo good, when you FINALLY get packed up again, and get BACK into the warm truck. More coffee And then, there are the following twelve hours of hurting and feeling stupid hourglass ... that's got to count for something?

shooter Snowman shooter with bench rifle

Gary
February 08, 2011 08:11PM
I think it accounts for higher tylenol sales!
February 08, 2011 08:24PM
Gary,

The Hawk action looks good on that unfinished stock. It's me or your scope is almost as long as the carbine. wink
February 08, 2011 11:32PM
Ya like that Julio? Hey - wait until I get a couple of sun shades on there!!! hahaha.

Gary
February 08, 2011 10:25PM
Julio,
Gary has had an epiphany, he now believes in "super scopes!" Apparently team simmons had an issue with their stuff being tossed around in a busy shop and only pulled out for a shoot when the weather was bad...
February 09, 2011 12:50AM
What a trooper GB. Seems like no one is shooting but US....lol

You and those pellets are doing a GREAT JOB.
February 09, 2011 02:07AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021