Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Study of hollow point effectiveness ...

Study of hollow point effectiveness ...
February 28, 2011 06:08PM
I'll do this part here ... and tell you that many more pics will be in the hunting forum section ... all the Eeewwwwwwwyyie stuff.

I went to the house for coffee. Kelly met me at the back porch, and we spoke for a minute. I looked around, and, in the tree over my shop; a fat squirrel was volunteering for hollow point study.

I strolled back to the shop, without looking at the varmint ... (the darned things are getting into the spaces behind the walls, in the house. Don't know how. But - we hear them all the time. Kelly told me that, this morning, she was sure one was dragging 2 by 4s around ... THIS must stop.) So, I still have the Victory, waiting for an appt. for it to be picked up. I decided to load a 48 grain pellet .... backwards. Now - this wasn't designed to be a hollow point. I've just found that they track straight for 10-15 yards, very dependably.

Loaded up, I backed out of the shop door. Sort of "faded" around the corner, with my eye in the scope .... to where the volunteer had last been. And, when he lit up the scope ... I put the pellet on his shoulder. Bang. Thud. Over.

I took the airgun back in, and wiped it down. It was raining. I went back to find the squirrel, thoughtfully, had fallen upon a cut off of old siding, in the work yard. On a specimen tray ... it volunteered for an autopsy ... to recover the slug.

I'd rolled it over, with a stick. The entry was easy to find. I didn't see an exit. I knew it would have opened wide ... suspected so anyway. And ... the squirrel pelt was all bright and fluffy. Clean. No way to miss an exit. I was 99% sure there was none. I wanted that slug.

Well ... guess it's not too gross to say I searched ... thoroughly ... whistling .... with a pr. of bi-pass pruning shears, and a couple bamboo skewers as probes. Long tweezers too. No slug. Ah ... nuts. I couldn't have missed it ...

Well, the squirrel became two seperate ends ... then opened like a book. No slug. I searched the pelt again ... nothing.

I was about to give up, when my eye caught a couple of broken ribs and a small exit would from the body cavity opposite. I probed it with the sticks. No exit. Slug must be under the skin on the opposite side!

And, I sheared some more .... and saw a little clipping of lead! Yeah!!!!! It IS in there.

Squirrel_HollowPoint 018.JPG

Opened up from .315" to .670" ... WOW!

That thing opened like an umbrella in the wind! Where as the same pellets, shot at 50 yards frontward .... were blowing thru 3/4" of plywood like it were a paper towel ... this same pellet .... open mouth forward ... stopped on a dime, in a squirrel.

Other pics in the hunting section.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2011 06:09PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Study of hollow point effectiveness ...
February 28, 2011 09:31PM
THAT is some cool real world testing Gary! That's a fairly heavy pellet to open and stop that fast. The Victory is no light weight when it comes to power either. Heck, it takes energy to peel open a pellet to double its size; especially since the skirts on these pellets are not super thin and delicate like those little jobs that always have a bunch of bent up items in the tin....
March 03, 2011 11:53PM
Hi Jerry,

Sorry - didn't comment yet. I agree. I was really amazed at how fast these stop. If you recall, in the clay ... the things flattened out into a waffer.

Good point about the skirt ... it is plenty thick enough to have strength ... yet still blow out against the rifle walls. Here, it really opened.

I sent you some 32s and 308s ..,. since you tested the last ones well. Even sent some of the hollow point bullets ... that are "supposed" to be hollow points. ;?)

Might get them tomorrow. Hope so.

Gary
March 04, 2011 01:14AM
I got the pellets today. I'll try to do a test this weekend!
March 04, 2011 03:07AM
Hey - great!

Don't do what I did ... remember ... the 308s go in the 308. whistling Story on Cedric's tag - hunting section.

Gary
Anonymous User
February 28, 2011 11:19PM
Now that should make a fine hunting pellet Gary, what velocity was the gun set for. Whatever it was that slug dumped every ounce of its energy into that squirrel.
Shooting hollow points into wood tends to give false readings on expansion. The wood fills the cavity making the slug behave like a roundnose bullet.
March 03, 2011 11:54PM
Hi Joe,

I will go look. I keep forgetting to verify. Back in a bit ....

Gary
March 02, 2011 05:16AM
OK, i'm headed over to the huntin section.....

Oh yeah....Good Shot....bye
March 14, 2011 08:22PM
at short ranges ,,, why not , interesting result , guess its ok with a barnes , and plenty of power to play with.
id not be trying it in anything lower power though ,,, having said that ill try the phone book test with my whiscombe and a backwards slug , and see how it works out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021