Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More Pics Joe .... Chameleon stuff

More Pics Joe .... Chameleon stuff
March 18, 2011 01:33AM
Hello Joe,

I've been machining on your "chunk O steel". ;?)

Joe 010.JPG

Gosh ... The first three days were used up, trying to determine which was the blank ... and which was the remaining pc. of shaft. They were identical! Imagine my confusion. hahaha. laughing again

Joe 015.JPG

And so; I've been cutting away everything that didn't look like the drawings.

Joe 016.JPG

Lots and lots of steel removed. Drilled, honed ...

Joe 018.JPG

Joe 021.JPG

And we're maybe a third done with the part.

Joe 026.JPG

The new lathe has been very helpful. I've used both on this part - for different operations.

It's coming along. take a bow

Gary
Re: More Pics Joe .... Chameleon stuff
March 18, 2011 04:32AM
Gary,

Was that cut with a bandsaw?

Lon
March 18, 2011 04:16PM
Guess you mean the two chunks?

If so; yes ... my horizontal bandsaw. Paid $200 for it new ... 6-8 years ago. Absolutely best money I ever spent. I tuned it, and make the blades for it.

Gary
March 18, 2011 06:38PM
Gary,

Yes, the two chunks.

Once again the ugly stepsister gets all the attention. Those pieces look like they were faced but I didn't see a circular machining pattern so I was curious. WOW, what a nice cut for a bandsaw.

Lon
March 19, 2011 09:32AM
I suspect that horizontal bandsaws make such nice cuts mostly due to the fact that they don't depend on the patience of the operator to achieve a consistent feed rate. They trust to gravity, utterly dependable, and infinitely patient. Quite unlike me, when exposed to power tools. self-hammer
March 19, 2011 03:42PM
May be. I set it up - start it ... walk away and go do something else. I have a "drop box" set up for the sawn off part.

Gary
March 20, 2011 12:04AM
Had some shop time myself today...with the Cub Scouts. Our local pack has it's Pinewood Derby coming up next month, so we got the local school to open up the wood shop so that the kids and dads could work on their cars. Everyone walked away with all their original digits, not even any bandaids needed, a rousing success!tongue sticking out smiley
Anonymous User
March 18, 2011 06:16PM
Hey, looking good, you got the right piece didn't you. They were pretty much identical, funny how that works out sometimes.. Well my palms are getting sweaty just from seeing the chips, thanks for the look.
Anonymous User
March 21, 2011 05:28AM
I posted the first comment on this post and it's dead bottom on the list, how does that work????
March 21, 2011 02:54PM
Hello Joe,

All the posts are presented in an "outline" format. If you click on "Reply" WITHIN the box of a person's comment that you just read ... then; your comment will be stepped in a notch, and posted in responce to that person's previous comment. If you just go to the bottom of the screen, and type in the comment box ... then your responce is filed as a general comment to the entire orig. thread ... and not related to someone else's comment.

So; if people keep referring to what's been said .... in other words ... they keep clicking on "reply" WITHIN the box of the comment they just read ... then the outline just keeps stepping in, and stepping in ... and the "thought" continues. Your reply to the general overall comment moves down the page.

It's the forum's way of keeping related thoughts together. Rather than having it all broken up according to strick first come status.

Happens alot though. Most people do just go to the box below. But - technically ... to keep the thoughts in line ... click on the reply button within the comment you wish to refer to. thumbs up

Gary
March 23, 2011 12:24PM
just make two ,,, seeing you almost have all the stuff ,,, just use the other bit , and do everything else twice ,,, hope that helps
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021