Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

After 95% of the build is complete ...

After 95% of the build is complete ...
March 30, 2011 09:45PM
I still have about 45% of the "work" to do. Your mind tells you that you are about done. But, experience tells you that it's an illusion. That's where much of the need for "attention span" comes in. You know the celebration is around the corner ... and down the road ... out of sight from where you are when the mind starts toying with you.

But now ... it really is within sight.

Hawks, Caroline's Party 013.JPG

I've been working on the Victory 32, for Brian. It's turning out very well. But, I've fiddled, and tweaked. I've adjusted, trial fit, and taken apart. Made an accidental scratch, sanded, and buffed it out. Cleaned the buffing compound out of the threads. Confident, I've reassembled it with loc-tite. Tried it. Nah ... still too tight. Disassemble it agai n. Clamp it in the vise. No ... not a good clamp angle. Mount it in the lathe chuck. There ... that's better. Use the diamond files. Then, better go upstairs and use the dental turbine tool to relieve that set screw socket's edge. Back to the bench. Reassemble ... again. Or, it it again and again ... and again. whistling

There ... that's good. We can move on now.

Etc., etc., etc. Is it carelessness? No ... usually it's my instinct to do it better than it requires. So; I fit things too close. But then, you know the old saying. You can take it off easier than put it back. And then, too; the parts don't come with a NASA part's code on them. They're handmade from pretty meager raw stock. And, they will fit, when they are "fitted". It can go quickly, or it can seem to fight you.

Brian Vic 32 002.JPG

Just that rear Knob ... takes a bit of time. Can't use a bolt handle there, or it would conflict with the outrigger boom. Has to be easy to turn, and lock down. Has to look good. Made from billet.

Brian Vic 32 008.JPG

Spots are inset as visual aids ... red dot is larger than the green. If the red dot it UP .... STOP ... the bolt is not closed. When the green dot it up. It's ready to fire.

Most of the work, nobody will ever see. Only a few would even know I didn't like the "feel". But ... if I have to take the whole thing down again, to correct that nagging "thing" in my head. I do. It just cannot be "Planned for". And then, if the pc. isn't used ... all that fussing with details is a nice investment in some future owner, I'll most likely never meet.

But - I know this one will be well used, and enjoyed. Yeah! thumbs up

So; this gun is just about shootable. Meaning, the action is nearly done. Then I need the stocks. Plural, because I've made it an outrigger design. That really makes a bunch of options come to life. Trigger pull length. Pistol Vs. Carbine. Compact packing. Knarly good looks. grinning smiley

Hey ... speaking of outrigger Victory PCPs .... I fear someone from the goose's family, found out where Reggie lives! eye popping smiley Oh NO!!! More coffee
Well; let's hope for the best. Photoshopping pics can be a bear. wink Hope all's good in your world Reggie. Show us that pic when you get a chance. We'd like to see it.

OK ... back to it.

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2011 10:07PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: After 95% of the build is complete ...
March 30, 2011 10:38PM
Very nice knob GB. Great idea too. I'm not even gonna ask how you got those dots colored...lol
March 30, 2011 11:17PM
Hello Gary:

I like the new knob design. It seems more ergonomic and solid. Nice.

Julio
March 31, 2011 12:16AM
Hello Julio,

Thanks. Glad you like it.

Actually though ... hahah ... the first several Victory guns were done that way. I'll have to find a pic for you. The ones at Bob's pistol shoot in Kentucky would have been that way. After that, I've used the ones with the rubber ring grip ... but wanted this one, this time, for a couple of reasons.

thumbs up
Gary
March 31, 2011 11:39AM
Mine's got the three rubber grips.

[www.airgunrendezvous.com]

-- Jim
Anonymous User
March 31, 2011 04:17AM
Good post Gary, its the little things that add the fit, finish and time. When it looks like a gun to the ordinary person you see a bunch of work that still needs to be done. Thats why customers line up to get one.
March 31, 2011 05:30AM
Yes, that is neat looking.assimilate

Lon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021