Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Last Range Testing 32 Victory Pistol w/ Outrigger Stk.

Last Range Testing 32 Victory Pistol w/ Outrigger Stk.
April 15, 2011 09:14PM
I still retain Brian's 32 Victory. It's been done for a while. Since I had it, I decided to do some more pellet, projectile testing with the Victory format.

The Victory is a Pistol. Not a stub nosed .38" ... but it's not a bench rifle, or a sporter. So; it's a pistol. With the outrigger it makes a great little carbine. The barrel is about 13" inside. Even so, with it's default slug, this little gun makes over 80 foot pounds. Not bad for a BB gun. When I started making airguns, the biggest baddest big bore rifles were making about that energy.

Victory 32 Range Brian 022.JPG

It's been raining here, for years. Finally got a good day yesterday. Today was more chilly, and very gusty. Not the best day for the range, but relatively better than all Winter, so I loaded up the War Wagon with "stuff", and went to the range.

Victory 32 Range Brian 026.JPG

Starting out, I verified that the gun liked buckshot @ 30 yards, which is typical pistol yardage. The buckshot I have, is courtesy of Tony, who tracked down a new manufacturer when Hornady ceased making O buckshot. The product is not as spherical, but did a good job.

Victory 32 Range Brian 028.JPG

Victory 32 Range Brian 030.JPG

Then I moved out to rifle range. 50 yards. The conditions were gusty wind. I tried to shoot between the gusts, as much as I could.

Victory 32 Range Brian 035.JPG

Victory 32 Range Brian 036.JPG

It was really gusty, but I managed to put one from most groups into the 10X. There is promise. I've not worked thru the possibilities. Some of the potential will be with stronger guns, I think. It's been one of those projects. When it reaps benefit, only then will it have seemed like a good idea. Until then, it might seem a waste of time. We'll see.

Victory 32 Range Brian 040.JPG

I tried the buckshot. Not bad.

Victory 32 Range Brian 037.JPG

Then I got into some of the default slugs, that have always been good in these guns. The Barnes 4 ring Wadcutter. This one weighs 70.9 grains. I had a tin of them, that I'd cast some time back.

Victory 32 Range Brian 041.JPG

They are really dialed in. They shoot about 716 fps. But, you see there, many people are not content there. And so I fiddle to see what else is around. The Pellets I've tried, have shot around 900 in the smaller guns, with the lightest pellets. But - so far, the accuracy and steady performance is where I developed it, six of seven years ago.

Victory 32 Range Brian 042.JPG

This is hard to argue with. It works with several of the families of 32 barrels that I've made.

Best,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2011 10:11PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Last Range Testing 32 Victory Pistol w/ Outrigger Stk.
April 15, 2011 10:06PM
Hi Gary,

This Victory pistol likes the round ball, but the 4 Ring WC are a perfect match. Excellent groups at 50 yards. Wow from a pistol! With those slugs this Victory should be close to 100 fpe.
April 16, 2011 12:55AM
Hello Julio,

Thanks for your comment.

I intended to note ... that 50 yard buckshot was the best one. Most were half again or twice that. We've never had rifle group accuracy, at rifle ranges, with a pistol and buckshot. But - it's pretty good for casual shooting.

The right slug at the right size, really tightened up the holes in the paper.

I'm not sure what top fpe would be. Shooting at 2,900 ... with the 70.9 grain ... @ about 716 fps ... came out about 80 foot pounds. That's pretty good for a light pistol / carbine PCP.

I know, I know ... you want one in 87 caliber .... laughing again

Gary
April 16, 2011 04:54AM
Gary,

I can't see the roundball magazine cap. wink

thumbs up

Lon
April 16, 2011 09:22AM
Thats realy nice groups Garry especialy from a pistol ( a nice looking pistol). I know how hard it can be to get such a short barreled gun to ballance and group off a single fill. Way to go. Danny.
April 28, 2011 03:38PM
Gary

You have been holding out. Using the outrigger to hold the pellets is a great idea. What type of scope are you using?
April 28, 2011 07:57PM
Oh ... eye popping smiley .... you can't put pellets in yours. You are not officially liscensed to do so! hahaha. More coffee Hey - you are on your own to find a cork ... hahah. smileys with beer

I think the scope was made by Leapers, some time back. A small 30mm tube, with side adjust. It was given to me by a customer, so I can't mention that it's not clear around the edges, and very eye sensitive. whistling You didn't hear it here. But; when you get it lined up .... it's nice and accurate. Especially with that Barnes Mono-pod mounting system! Green bowing

Gary
May 01, 2011 04:51AM
Gary,

That's a great looking setup! The buck looks plenty accurate for some casual (no ties please) shooting. While the wadcutter slugs are very impressive indeed. I have to wonder if your mystery technique of sperisizing the ball was used here? I don't think you ever described the technique as it was deemed unnecessary with the Hornady (booo) buck.

Kent
May 12, 2011 10:08AM
very smart set up , great results
May 12, 2011 04:56PM
Gary,

That pistol is accurate!

70+ foot pound and that kind of accuracy, ye-owza!bad dude

Lon
May 12, 2011 07:56PM
Hi Lon,

Yeah ... well ... who'd counting whistling but it's 70.9 grains. That's about 81 foot pounds. Not that I'm a power hawg or anything .... hehe

Gary
May 12, 2011 06:39PM
Wow, those 4 ring wadcutters really do the trick! Excellent groups, and from pistolthumbs up
Cheers
Neil
May 12, 2011 07:46PM
Glad you like it. You too Lon,

Yeah ... get this story. We couldn't find the mold for those slugs. I had a big tin of those, that I remember casting. Well, Jerry didn't have the right one (at least he says he doesn't ... hahah).. Then, I recalled ... : I made a bullet mold for a customer, about a year to eighteen months ago. I proof cast it, and sent it out. I retain the machine cutter - what they call the "Cherry" for the mold. Story of my life. To make more slugs, I have to make another mold ... Pipe smoker But, when they shoot that well, I think I'll have to do it.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021