Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tofaz Say ...

Tofaz Say ...
May 15, 2011 02:08PM
haha

Our bud Cedric says:

According to his own blog ...

That his Shoebox Compressor is doing a great job. 3rd fill (top off) now.

Why don't y'all buy one ... fill your tank ... and do some airgun shooting?

We'd love to hear about your experiences afield.

Gary

BTW ... it's been a gloomy, rainy mess round here. Raining pretty hard right now. Gloomy and sprinkling all day. Yuck. Some sun would be great!

---------------------------------------

Tried to post this last night. Internet went out. This am ... heard a big ole metailc BONG!!!! and the electric went out. Transformer tripped, I guess. Hey - it's like the stone age around here! haha. By the time we reported it, and co-ordinated with the neighbors ... the power was back on. Go figure.

Anyway ... is anybody doing anything remotely related to airguns these days?
Re: Tofaz Say ...
May 15, 2011 11:44PM
Hey ... the net was down a bunch of the day. We worked hard clearing bamboo from our grove of it, and from the neighbor's side of the fence. That house just sold. These will be the 7th neighbors to own that house since I moved here. Hey ... is it ... ME???? Green bowing

Well, the 6th owners were just pigs. They'd be thrown out of a swamp. Never did a thing in upkeep. And, where all they had to do was mow their stupid yard ... to keep any bamboo shoots from growing ... instead ... they let a jungle grow.

So; as a "welcome" gift ... Kelly and I went over, while nobody is moved in yet, and cut out the jungle along the fence. It will give me the access also to replace the nearly 30 year old stockade fence that's due for replacement. The yard trailer is about 7 feet tall. And, that's STOMPED DOWN seven feet tall of trimmings. With side stakes of bamboo stalks that I'll tie together and cover with a tarp. Gingerly tip toe to the land fill! wink

Anyway ... I did all that ... finally got the net working ... flopped down here for a chat with my buds .....

Hey ... are all you guys cutting bamboo too??!! wow

Gary
May 16, 2011 12:27AM
I always wanted some large diameter bamboo. Dory
Anonymous User
May 16, 2011 01:20AM
Plant you some Dory, it doesn't take it long to get large, or to sprout up 50 yards from you planted it. The stuff is as bad as kudzu.

Did you know that as form of torture the Japanese would plant bamboo and stake an indivdual out over top of. In just a few short days it would penetrate the back of the poor soul they were torturing. Bamboo shoots have extremely hard and sharp points when they come out of the ground, they don't grow around objects, they grow through it!
May 16, 2011 02:26PM
HI Joe,

I don't know how it does it either. I have some stalks that grew thru the blacktop driveway. It will crack the blacktop, penetrate it, toss back a plug of blacktop, and the shoot will be growing out of the rubble it produced. Now - the shoot is soft, actually. You can just bend it over with your toe. Snap it off like a young corn stalk ... yet it tossed back blacktop. The stuff is a curse. I thought of planting Kudzu to grow all over it and kill it! hahah.

Gary
May 16, 2011 03:35AM
Gary,

No shooting this weekend, I'm adding to my my real estate portfolio again.self-hammer

I did go for a jog barefoot on crushed glass to relax though.

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2011 03:36AM by Bigbore.
May 16, 2011 02:59PM
I want some that is large diameter not just tall. My parents have some but it doesn't spread to fast because it's under trees.Dory
May 17, 2011 12:30AM
There are different species. The ones you want have some form of the word "giant" in their species name. Although, I know that it's age related as well. My shoots get larger each year. The big ones are up to about 3" across. I know that some are a foot across. But I don't know it that's related to some stand of bamboo that's been there for hundreds of years ... or if it's all species related.

Whatever; keep it away from your home or yard. It's good for wet lands or errosion control. Mine will pop out of the ground, and grow about 30 feet tall in one season. Wish it were money,.

;?)

Gary
May 17, 2011 03:42PM
If they get 3", that's a good size. Most of the giant species won't stand zone 5.

Maybe you could sell them off every fall, for the people that decorate with that kind of stuff or use as screens. oriental style.
Let them do the cutting. Dory
May 17, 2011 11:03PM
Yeah ... everybody wants some ... AFTER you cut it, trim off the tough branches, and season it. ;?} Like one of my favorite manuscripts for living ... the Golden Book ... "The Little Red Hen". With that and the Bible, you are pretty well set to handle life's challanges. thumbs up

Not sure about the "cut your own" plan though. "Y'all come on in with your loppers, chain saws, and machettes" ... chainsaw ... hahahah .... Sure ... bring the kids ... what could go wrong? excited chainsaw LOL!

Was in Lowes last evening. Talking to an employee about grass seed. The cur-sehd bamboo came up. He was also horrified to think that any of it was disgarded. I do build trellesi and such for flowers, tomatoe plants, etc. But, I haven't yet gotten into the bamboo bird cage, back scratcher market. bowing -- Far East But - the "five pack" bundle idea might do well. All I need is a barn to store it.. Drying rooms. A wrapping and shipping department. Inventory control with a return department for the stalks that crack during shipping. Have to do an environmental impact study and get properly lisenced on six levels. Shouldn't need more that a dozen people to handle the whole thing.

I know, I know ... sounds like a "road trip" to you ... hahaha. laughing

Well, here on the gardening channel ... this has been a real viral thread! "festive"

Green bowing

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2011 11:12PM by barnespneumatic.
May 18, 2011 06:49PM
5th fill/top off now as i've done some chrony work in the garage. Its super nice having this thing or any other type compressor. The freedom of not having to travel to get my tank "SEMI FILLED" is worth the cost of this thing already..lol
May 18, 2011 09:32PM
Hi Ced,

I'll bet the shoebox does OK for you. You know how to do the maintenance it will require, and you're also not trying to fill 1000cf a week like at least one guy I've read about!
May 19, 2011 12:31AM
LOL...yeah, i don't really see that machine being tough enough to fill tanks back to back around the clock. Good research for us but silly on his part. And thats fine but, i wont run mine like that. You simply don't spend 700 bucks (shipping, hoses, gauges, filters, Shop compressor..etc..etc) on a product to break it.

What i do also is run it for 1 hour then let is cool down while the fan is still blowing on it for like 15-20 minutes, then run it again repeating the same process. And i lube the rods with a dab of lithium grease every 1 time i use it.
May 19, 2011 02:12AM
You sound like a manufacturer's dream Faz! ;?) Reading the instructions. Taking precautions. Forming a duty cycle. Lubricating parts.

Man ... makes me all ... misty ... More coffee
May 19, 2011 02:36AM
What are you talking about Gary? Very few people ever stress test your creations close to what they get in testing!
May 19, 2011 02:02PM
hahah. Guess that's true.

I do get mail on them though. Usually, about three to five years after I ship them "overnight", I get a mail asking ... "Now ... what PSI do I fill this to?" .... More coffee
May 21, 2011 04:42AM
LOL. You 2 are too much.

Why in the heck would anyone buy your gun and not shoot it often enough to remember fill pressure. Guess the saying of, "MORE MONEY THAN BRAINS" rains true.
May 22, 2011 03:52PM
Ced,

I think a fair number of Gary's customers just want the collectible airgun. They want to know that it can shoot through a tree or that it can shoot half-MOA but they don't really want to go and do it! Weird. But, every now and then a collector decides to go shooting...
May 22, 2011 04:45PM
Story:

Had a customer tell me, by phone:

Once a year, he takes out guns from his collection. He posts a white paper plate on a fence post 100 yards away. Fires exactly one shot. Cleans the gun, puts it away again.

I'm not sure what you call that particular sport.

Sure glad I made certain every tiny detail was correct, and shipped them overnight.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021