Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Joe's 50 caliber Smoothie - Range Testing

Joe's 50 caliber Smoothie - Range Testing
June 03, 2011 02:46AM
I finally got to get out to the range today. Was a perfect day - 80 degrees. Mildy breezy. Sunny.

I sighted in the Victory 32 with it's new Nikko Stirling Scope and mounts. Verified it's action again. You note that there's already been extensive posting done on it's range sessions. It's complete now. Will be packed and shipped.

The other thing I was excited to see, was some range testing of Joe's 50 caliber smoothie ... and it's prototype slugs. This is the first Barnes 50 caliber. It's a smoothie. The slugs were made with the testing from the 62 series in mind.

a_hatched_range_bench.jpg

The 50 caliber on the bench in the war wagon.

a_ledgercards.jpg

Some testing thru the chronograph. I had a quantity of slugs ... but not a wealth of them. So; I set up to shoot my groups thru the chronograph, and gather data and targets at one time.

a_3@35.jpg

I started at 35 yards. And used the 268 gain slug. It shot pretty well. The trigger was not adjusted well. I didn't have the small hex wrench I needed, so I had to just use it that way. It was too hard and the pull was too long. However; the targets are still pretty good, considering we have a new gun, newly designed slugs, and the action is simply slid into the rear stock ... nothing securing it but gravity.

a_835.jpg

At this setting ... I think it was 2,500 psi ... the slug went 835 feet per second. Not to shabby!

a_dup2.jpg

And, the gun's action just kept on shooting them at 835. Note here the chrono shows this is the second duplicate in a row! Boggles my mind when I think of all the things that have to be exactly the same for duplicate shots. Right ... the gun is on a bench regulator. But - the hammer train has to be exact. The friction of the parts the same. The valve has to open exactly the same. The breech pressure curve has to build the same. The slugs have to slip the breech at exactly the same time. It would seem impossible to a rational mind.

a_hatchet268@835.jpg

Another group of the 268 slugs @ 835 fps.

a_hatchet_bench.jpg

The gun on the bench.

a_268@860fps.jpg

I turned up the psi some. The slugs went to 860 feet per second. This is cooking along pretty good, for a rear hammer gun, with a rotary breech. BTW ... you just push the breech wing aside ... install a slug ... push it back into line. No lock. No leakage that I can detect while shooting it. Certainly is easy and effecient. (Not to make ... just to shoot ... haha).

a_268@860fps_group.jpg

And the group at 860 fps. This is at 50 yards now ... with a smoothie.

a_347grn@799is492fpe.jpg

a_cards799is493fpe.jpg

The bigger slug is 347 grains. It's a power house. It flies @ 799 fps for 493 foot pounds!!! Joe ... I think we can call this gun @ 500 fpe. I suspect I can get another couple fps if I had to. Looks like a Magnum class PCP.

Now ... the rub is that the slug doesn't want to group at 50 yards. It punches a nice round hole. Just isn't dialed in. We'll see about that later. But ... real nice power. The bullet mold made for this slug is just history in the making ... unless a rifled 50 shoots it well later.

a_50ydsWarWagon.jpg

Was a successful range session. Hope you enjoyed seeing the details. Green bowing

Gary
Anonymous User
Re: Joe's 50 caliber Smoothie - Range Testing
June 03, 2011 04:11AM
Wow, those numbers are just blowing me away Gary, and now I learn this is the first Barnes 50 caliber too.stunned All I can see in those targets is 9 dead deer at the range I have shot 98% of the deer I have harvested.fudd I'm a woods hunter for the most part and 50 yards is a long shot. Looks great sitting there cradled in those bags ready to go.

Thanks for taking the time to post this, I really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
June 03, 2011 01:36PM
Hello Joe,

Glad you are pleased bud. Nine dead deer huh? hehehe. rudolph Oooops ... one got away. ;?)

It will do the job. Shoots very smooth too. Might even be better when I adjust the trigger .... and ... ah .... attach the stock to the gun ... whistling

I think the geometry will work out right too, if you want to shoot down the barrel, without a scope for shotgun mode. I'll let that up to you. Although, a small scope is pretty nice I think ... and I've become a real fan of these Nikko Stirling scopes. They even have a new series that are small simple scopes. This one I just tested on the Victory, was nice and clear to the edges ... not picky .. and was clear and clean at it's top 16X.

Are you feeding my deer well? I can't drive down there for no skinny deer, ya know. hahah. Maybe you can add in alittle "Antler Grow" powder to the mix too. rudolph

Glad you caught the post. I wondered, when I was sitting here last night ... if you might check in and find it.

Gary
June 03, 2011 05:20AM
Gary,

It is fascinating to see what you're getting smoothbore guns to do.

It is also interesting to me how much different the gun looks from the front.

Lon
June 03, 2011 08:30AM
Garry, thats fantasic numbers from a rear hammer. And whats more those are nice clean holes for a smoothie, looking promising. Great work. I have a .50 smoothie that I built for close range duck hunting a while back. It;s not a power house, only about 350 FPE. Recently I made a slug mould for it, had the first shoot with the slug only a week or so ago. The ones that fly straight fly nice and true, but I'm getting a few that are iregular so need to reshape the mould some. Will keep at it and post some picks of groups when I have it sorted.( I bought a camera). Again great work and cheers to all. Danny.
June 03, 2011 08:31AM
Garry, thats fantasic numbers from a rear hammer. And whats more those are nice clean holes for a smoothie, looking promising. Great work. I have a .50 smoothie that I built for close range duck hunting a while back. It;s not a power house, only about 350 FPE. Recently I made a slug mould for it, had the first shoot with the slug only a week or so ago. The ones that fly straight fly nice and true, but I'm getting a few that are iregular so need to reshape the mould some. Will keep at it and post some picks of groups when I have it sorted.( I bought a camera). Again great work and Hi to all. Danny.
June 03, 2011 01:28PM
Thanks Danny,

Good job. Show us the gun, since you have that up and running. Love to see it. Give you some practice with the new camera. ;?)

Gary
June 03, 2011 01:20PM
Hi Lon,

Thanks. The smoothies do interest me. Partly the challange. This one, came about because Joe was into shotguns. I'll make up some shells for it, and try them too. They should work well, since this gun is actually "chambered". With the rotary breech, it'd also be a snap to install your bottom wad via the breech ... if you want to muzzle load. I'll try some different things as I finish the gun. Have to get it to Joe before he snaps though ... hehehehe.

Keep in mind, the forestocks are not mounted on the gun. The gun will totally change when they are mounted. Now, it looks like a car with one wheel removed. Something's juuuuuuuuuust not right .... stunned

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2011 01:26PM by barnespneumatic.
June 03, 2011 05:35PM
Nice numbers and the rifle is looking great. Your exposed hammer format guns have always interested me.
June 03, 2011 05:52PM
Thanks Mike,

Yes, there's clearly other things I can do with rear hammers. This one is actually out performing my own expectations.

The rifle will come together when I attach the forestock. Making barrel bands today.

Haven't forgotten your Tundra either. I usually wake screaming between 2:15 and 2:30 am over that one, then I have to move on to the next. whistling But - as you see, despite my best efforts, things do eventually get finished. thumbs up And usually turn out pretty nice.

Gary
June 03, 2011 07:30PM
That's coming together very nicely Gary! I love that breech, so nice and simple to use (but not make!?). It's a powerhouse for sure. Joe will need plastic on his computer keyboard to protect it from droolinggrinning smiley
Are you planning an insert for it as well?
Can't wait to see the complete unit...
Cheers
Neil
June 03, 2011 08:48PM
Hello Neil,

It's set up so that alternative barrel calibers can be threaded into the barrel hub. With this set-up, you do not need an entire new bolt action of the new caliber to insert as well. The new barrel isn't inserted, it's swapped out. The power plant is also highly adjustable. You could literally install a .177" barrel on the gun, and dramatically de-tune it.

Now ... don't take that as an admission of guilt for the Woodsman and Justice format. Those made sense, with their huge caliber smooth bore starting calibers.

Oh ... I accidently fired the gun with the breech open. I was just adjusting the regulator for less psi, and wanted to blow off a couple of shots until the regulator took over. The gun just made a choked "POoooo" ... Also a very safe action. I like that.

Honestly, it's really a toss up as to if I'd consider cataloging this gun. It's turning out wonderful ... but it's waaaay beyond the work it should have been, and you've read the twisted trail that lead me to decide to make it. "Joe made me do it!" hahah. All that sneaky "Nice" stuff, and all. I was helpless to fight it. laughing again

Gary
June 04, 2011 03:41PM
That's coming along nicely! Too bad about the heavier slugs, they probably just need a little tweak...

The light slugs are flying great, no sign at all of anything but stable flight.

I see the field's been cut, that helps!
June 03, 2011 08:43PM
Thanks Gary. I know you have not forgotten my rifle and to be honest, I am just as happy to be on your ledger as the day I asked for another rifle. Sorry if it keeps you up but hey, I do like that time slotsmiling smiley Looking forward to the finished pix of Joe's smoothie and see how the forestock brings it all together.
June 08, 2011 11:41PM
Pretty impressive shooting for just out of the box, so to speak.. Just imagine what it might do if you were to rubber-band it into the stock...winking smiley

Actually, the part I'm most curious about is how you're going to accomodate the swinging breech into the forestock. The bottom part pivots opposite the top, so you can't really have any wood below that section, otherwise it would block the rotation. Is it designed to swing just one way, or in both directions?
June 10, 2011 06:29PM
Hi Rotor,

Yes ... if I wedge in some folded index cards, I figure I can cut the group size by 33%. hahaha.

It's coming. I've been taking care of some stuff around here.

The breech rotates in both directions, and will wear wood. You'll see soon.

thumbs up

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021