Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Joe - The Dog Ate your Rifle ...

Joe - The Dog Ate your Rifle ...
September 05, 2011 07:01PM
whistling

Well, OK, fine ... I just want to keep it for myself. It's just an hour from being finished.

Made this part this morning.

Joe's Hatchet 003.JPG

Joe's Hatchet 006.JPG

Joe's Hatchet 008.JPG

I'll show the rest of the rifle later today (if Aliens don't land or something ... assimilate ... hahah.

Oh ... here's the first one I made this morning ...

Joe's Hatchet 002.JPG

Yep - the old lathe popped out of A-4 setting, and the thread feed stopped ... ruining the threads. Then, I absently touched the ABC knob ... and it engaged ... breaking off the threading tool and hogging into the end of the brass shaft material. That's why I get the big bucks! rudolph rudolph

Green bowing

Gary
Re: Joe - The Dog Ate your Rifle ...
September 05, 2011 07:09PM
BTW ... for readers. Well ... I think most of you all got on the same bus and left for the holiday ... leaving me behind to work. However; for the few left ...

In this gun, the hammer power plant is inside the pistol grip. The hammer tube slides down thru the stock's pistol grip ... the extreme end is threaded to receive this keeper hub ... and it snugs up against the hard sole of the stock toe's black shoe plate. The O ring provides a "sticktion" to keep it in place and not grind into the shoe plate. Green bowing

Gary
September 05, 2011 08:36PM
i was going to say the same thing. quiet around here. hope the others are having a hell of a time for themselves. you could show favoritism to the loyals that stuck around........
steve
September 05, 2011 10:17PM
Hi Steve,

I am showing favoritism. Hey - try to get a personal responce from the head of any other company you do business with, today. haha.

on the phone

Gary
September 05, 2011 09:51PM
I started by moving dirt, shovel broke. So went shopping with wife. Would have been cheaper and easier day if shovel wouldn't have broke. By new one tomorrow. Dory
September 05, 2011 10:14PM
You see there ... now THAT is the kind of stuff you miss .... if you don't check in each day.

THANK you Dory. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Man - you missed a classic smilie for that post! hahah

dig it

Gary
September 05, 2011 11:46PM
Just got back from dropping my son off at college - wow, what fun- driving to Boston on a holiday surprised
September 06, 2011 12:12AM
gary, it's been a pleasure. just want to livin this place up. i need to try one of the yellow head thingsbowing
dory, here's a new shovel you may want. i need to sell for another recent aquisition
joe, good luck to your son. i went to college in boston alooong time ago, it can be a very fun town.
steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2011 12:15AM by watchman.
DSC01676 (400x300).jpg
September 06, 2011 02:48PM
Watchman,

I've been trying to convince wife to let me buy backhoe .

I like your setup, have been looking at mini-excavators also. Will probably end up with a used one I can put on a 3 point hitch of my Dad's tractor. Which is a lot cheaper. Since I'm trying to also save up for another one of Gary's guns. Dory
September 06, 2011 05:28PM
in this economy your likely to see some good deals
September 06, 2011 05:54PM
why meActually, I WAS gonna post that the O-ring on the brass cap looks like your typical Barnes overkill solution, and that anyone else would just use a drop of LocTite instead.

Of course, the particular style of your overkill is one of the reasons people buy your rifles in the first place. Whatta you gonna do?
September 06, 2011 06:59PM
Oh ... DON'T try that old, "We expected no less" line on me Sean! More coffee

hahah. I'm wise to the code by now. That means ... "I was watching TV at the same time, and didn't want to comment". laughing again
September 06, 2011 01:41AM
Hi Gary,

Details and more details, yes I know that this is the 5% cosmetic part of the air gun but it looks sooooo nice.

Julio
September 06, 2011 02:49AM
Hello Julio,

Glad you like it.

Hey - you see now, my friend ... that is WHY we need the other items listed in the Gun Room. Because, in that way ... I can sell just the 5% part that people like, and make nice details and shiny items ... and not have to have then dragged down by all the work of making an airgun action! hahahah.

LOL!

smileys with beer

Gary
September 06, 2011 02:48AM
I think Gary nailed it, we were all out of town.

In our case, we high-tailed it to the teeming metropolis of Whitehorse, Canada to take in the bright lights and big city.

As the capital of the Yukon territories (and only actual city within less than a full days drive) it has amenities that we don't have in our little town, like fresh-made doughnuts, movie theatres, and a swimming pool with a diving board. Yup, we're living the high life up here, all right.eye rolling smiley

Actually, we really left to get out of the rain, which has been coming down in buckets for weeks, and to soak in the hot springs. It's been a fine opportunity to find all the leaks in the camper roof as well.More sad
September 06, 2011 02:53AM
Hi Sean,

Well ... Doughnuts AND Diving Boards. Sounds like a series on the History Channel. Cant wait for the new season! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Glad you got to "get out" a bit. Being all cooped up in a tiny state is depressing.

USA!  USA!

Me? Well, I worked throughout the weekend and holiday. No doughnuts. Not a diving board in sight. Even sadder

However; tomorrow is "Tuesday", and I can go back to work!! wow

Gary
September 06, 2011 03:03PM
Well, haha ... here's the perfect example. 59 views. Look at the pics at the top ... and then read thru the comments on this thread. Note the thrill everyone has for fine machine work ... whistling laughing

Actually, Julio liked the detail. But - was it the machining - or the stock in the pics? hummmmm. drinking smiley

There was actually a flurry of activity on the forum last evening. Machine work? Not so much. haha. Might as well toss out a day old bagel ...

why me

Oh why??? WHY do I try .... ? Even sadder

winking smiley
September 06, 2011 05:25PM
hey. the Barnes D.O.B. sounds kinda cool. I guess you'll have to start making video of the procedure to show what it really takes.
steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2011 05:28PM by watchman.
September 06, 2011 07:05PM
Spies! Can't feed the Spies!!!

They're everywhere ... excited ... watch your back ... scared

Can't show someone turning threads using a 59 year old lathe .... if I did ... EVERYBODY would have one!!!

laughing

Hey ... you're not paranoid IF the whole world REALLY IS out to get you!!! grinning smiley

Gary
September 06, 2011 07:40PM
so true. didn't think of that. impressive turning you've done there. i'll have to bone up on my watchmakers manuals to see how you did the knurling. i've got an old screw plate in the shop that i haven't used in years. the lathe i use alittle but just to cut off balance staffs. i think that thing has got to be over 100 years old. i know a clockmaker that uses a hobby knife with the tip cut off as a cufoff tool when it's positioned upside down. huckabee is his name. i think you may have motivated me to study my watchmaking skills.
steve
September 07, 2011 10:36PM
I wish I could have intercepted that truck I saw leaving base with two lathes on it. I'll bet they have more life left in them than the replacements and you could have put them to great use. Or kept them under a tarp as ready spares!

BTW, I was at the parents house waterskiing with three of the boys. I've discovered some muscles that I had misplaced a few years back...
September 09, 2011 01:09AM
C'mon Gary, you need to keep the machine work pics coming. You know that anyone who's ever run a worn out old public school lathe loves seeing you screw up something minor from time to time. It's human nature to get a little grin and say to yourself "see, it's NOT just me!" grinning smiley

Of course if it WAS just me, the screwup would have been on the LASTstep, once all the other stuff had worked out just fine.why me

The knurling wheels would come flying off, or the piece would work it's way wonky in the chuck and come flying out or something like that. I seem to remember quite a few projects being converted into "decorative candlesticks" once they'd been screwed up beyond salvage.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021