Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pics from Cuppa Joe?

Pics from Cuppa Joe?
July 10, 2011 11:07PM
"Cup of Joe". Was a great airgun festival. Some will have pics from this event we had about 5 years ago ...

I see your names at the bottom of the page now ... so I'll post this to hope to catch you, and add more in a minute ....

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 12:18PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Pics from Cuppa Joe?
July 10, 2011 11:15PM
Lon had about a million pictures! PJ still has the monster CUP!
July 10, 2011 11:18PM
OK ... several years ago ... we had an absolutely wonderful shoot hosted by Joe Hoover. He's in N.C.

Joe has invited us for a shoot, once again. Takes some time to organize. I'd like to see if there's interest, and how much interest.

It's difficult to tell, because there is some effort and expense for people to attend an organized event. I've produced maybe ten of these now. It's a tremendous amount of work for me. The events, themselves, are non-stop work from morning to night. So; I must feel that there will be the right mix of folks, and that they can actually be counted upon to show up.

I know several of you will have many pics of the previous event. Sure, I do too. And, I could hunt for them, organize them, process them, caption them, load them ... and ... it would be like the other 3,980 posts I've personally made. I'd like to see if there's any interest in a group effort to make such an event successful. We'll see if anybody cares to share their pics. I hope so.

smileys with beer

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 12:22PM by barnespneumatic.
July 12, 2011 04:18PM
Here are some of the pictures that I've found:

rifle_cases CJ.jpg

beaver_impact_dent.jpg CJ.jpg

dsc02056 CJ.jpg

dsc02057 CJ.jpg

goat CJ.jpg

lon_bench.jpg CJ.jpg

red_plate CJ.jpg

Feel free to ask Gary about why this picture is here in the Cuppa Joe thread:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2011 12:51AM by Julio.
dsc02012.jpg CJ.jpg
July 12, 2011 08:35PM
Thank you Julio!

Hey - you are invited!

I see you found a pic of the little lady at the country store too! hahah.

Thank you my friend. I appreciate it very much.

Gary
July 13, 2011 01:21AM
HaHa! Only Gary would end up buying a bag of ice and walk away with a pistol packin' mama story!
July 13, 2011 02:03AM
It's a gift Jerry! hahah.

You are correct though. LOL! What was her name ... something like "Tevis" or something like that. I'm in there by myself. I chat a bit with her. Say something that makes her see me as a kindred Spirit. She talks about having run a few robbers from the store before. Next thing I know ... she's showing me her .357 Mag., I think it was. I have this effect on ladies.

Gary
July 13, 2011 01:28AM
Here are a few more,

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG
July 13, 2011 01:56AM
Thanks Julio.

I thought there were more than just you and I there. Seems I was right! smileys with beer

Gary
Anonymous User
July 13, 2011 05:05AM
Been awhile since that shoot, it was a lot of work but sooooooo much more fun. Hey gary that's Tivis at the Country Corner Store. Not only did she run some would be robbers off but she had them stepping and fetching after she sent 2 or 3 rounds helping them along. She's country as they come, only wears shoes about 2 months a year.
Looking forward to seeing a lot of you again, Gary and I have to work out the details but it's on for sure if enough are interested.
July 13, 2011 02:31PM
There ya go guys. You won't find a more generous offer. Consider a few facts please:

1). I know that the readers here most likely like my work. But; no matter what you think of my work, or me ... fact remains that I'm one of a very, very few people (on the planet) that are making handmade airguns ... from scratch (not just rearranging and assembling production parts). That's a lot of work, and it's rare.

2). It takes space to shoot the biggest of these airguns. Joe has offered that. Not on some busy, noisy firing range overseen by some drill Sgt. But in a lovely grassy setting, among friends.

3). It takes interactive targets to offer a unique shooting experience. I've built these, specifically for big bore airguns. I pay $80/month to store them, because I have no space for a ton of bulky steel targets. To get them to a show, I have to load them, and haul them. It's expensive. Really drags down the truck and trailer. Then I have to set them up - maintain them - tear them down ... haul them home, and take them back to storage.

4). Getting together with like minded folks, is a rare thing. We always have an exceptional time. This is your chance to meet the people you read about. Perhaps share, swap guns.

5). I have always had something new and interesting to show at these events. If you are there, you get to handle it. You get to shoot it. You might get to buy it, if the circumstances are correct. Of course, every business on the planet has their "perferred clients". Those are the ones that put some effort into seeing to it that my business and life are just a bit better. I appreciate it, and I make sure that I show it.
------

There's far more ... but those alone are certainly enough. It baffles me when we offer something like this, and get crickets and yawns. Man, I'd have paid big and crossed oceans to experience something like this. I just shake my head, when I realize that I'm begging people to please "allow" me to devote my time, money, and effort ... to produce a free airgun festival ... so they can come shoot ten thousand dollar handmade airguns; and experience great food, great people, and great sport.

smileys with beer

Gary
July 13, 2011 10:27PM
That was a good time. Here's a picture from another shoot. To show you the vast selection that can show up.

I even got a good canoe trip in, from a outfitter I was camping with, by the river. Dory
a_Cajun2.jpg
July 14, 2011 12:06AM
Thank you Mark!

Great pic. I appreciate it.

Boy - that sure does show a variety. Think about making each of those from scratch. No wonder I'm beat up ... hahah.

I just stopped for the evening. I fire the bluing tanks in the morning. I got everything sanded and racked up. What a job. Just to give you perspective ... I counted 11 barrels in this batch. There's about 9 intakes. Barrel hubs. Reservoir tubes .... hammer parts. Misc. little connector parts ... dozens of them. This is a big batch. I've included a couple of parts that have been in the shop waiting, long enough that they got scratched. Nuts. I've resanded them, and will blue those again.

Can't wait for this batch to get done, and to be able to assemble the guns.

The pic Dory posted shows why it takes so long. Everything different. But ... it makes a more interesting pic than 17 copies of the exact same thing. ;?)

Gary
July 14, 2011 02:10PM
Got a mail from Karl Drewke.

He has a loggin issue to resolve because of computer trouble.

Said he'd love to attend a Cuppa Joe 2, if the timing worked.

Gary
July 14, 2011 10:22PM
Ah yes, timing is everything! What really stinks for me (and I suspect, a lot of people) is that I can't even say what good timing will be! Yeah, I'm whining... (hey, there's another smiley idea)

During the school year is very tough and often impossible for me to support. The Summer is often eaten up by high intensity test events that "demand" my "immediate attention."

I would love to be at the next Cup O Joe, I just feel the same fear to commit that others do because sometimes, I just don't get to plan my own schedule.

If there are dates in mind...that would help... I'd really like to participate!
Anonymous User
July 15, 2011 02:19AM
How about the first or second week end in April, of course I'm typing this knowing full well I haven't discussed this with Gary. Ultimately it will be his decision if we want him to come what was that hehehehe.
July 15, 2011 02:34AM
IF WE WANT HIM TO COME!!!! Even sadder

hahah. Actually, I'm not sure I can make it either. Second week of April ... I think I have a back ache planned that day. hahaha.

Yeah .. it is a problem to get it to suit people. And, so much can come up in the mean time. Just heard today that one of our regulars doesn't think he can make it this year, at all, due to work issues. The reverse is the problem of me putting so much into preperation, my wife taking off work, and the investment of travel. All not knowing if there's going to be a turn out, or if everybody has to back out at the last minute.

That's why we're trying to see the amount of interest.

Gary
Anonymous User
July 15, 2011 02:43AM
Well I am open to suggestions we can do it next summer after school is out but beware it gets pretty hot here in July and August. I'm flexible on the the date if I have a little advance warning.
July 16, 2011 04:07AM
Gary,Joe

i also would be interested in attending another meet The last one was really a Good Time.shooter

Rick G.
July 16, 2011 02:55PM
Hello Rick,

Thanks for your note. We always enjoy having you join us. We are in the process of setting a date now. Joe and Jerry are working on that. We'll certainly let you know.

Best,
Gary
July 18, 2011 01:52AM
I've found a few. As for a repeat, with this much lead time we are flexible on the date. I'll discuss the possibilities with Kelli when the date is set.

CupJoe a.jpg

CupJoe b.jpg

CupJoe c.jpg

CupJoe d.jpg

We had a great time with Joe and his family. Thanks again!

Kent
July 18, 2011 08:41PM
Hello Kent,

Thanks for the pics.

I do hope the boys from "Monster Quest" don't get hold of that pic CupJoe b.jpg as center stage would seem to be BIGFOOT in a black Barnes Pneumatic shirt! excited

And, you captured the critter on film!

Gary
July 18, 2011 08:58PM
I was looking thru the NRA magazine for this month ... came across an ad for a super duper high power reactive target. It was a steel disc hanging from two chains. On a tublar steel half hoop. $175 IIRC. What would you say the dual drop zone (seperately tuneable) animal face reactive targets we shoot would be worth? excited Dude!!!

goat_CJ.jpg

There are two kill zones on these. The logic was to make the smaller zone (head shot) fall easier than the larger (body shot). In this way, perhaps more powerful big bore and medium power big bore could compete. As in the real world, a lighter gun (with a head shot) could take a game animal. The more powerful gun might have the advantage, but if you learned your gun and became a good shot, you could clean house.

I made about a dozen of these targets for the early Standing Stone festivals. The kill zones are 1/2" plate steel. They are on a parralellogram mechanism that allows them to be set to fall at different strike forces. Works really well.

As we had them tuned, Jerry was tripping the zones with the light Falcon slug of about 80 grains, at about 110 yards from either his Prairie 3 or his Woodsman with 32 insert.

Gary
July 18, 2011 10:23PM
110 yards? I'm sure it was further than that! The dual zone goat was the furthest target out for that shoot.
July 18, 2011 01:55AM
The only pics that I took were actually videos, so I can't put them up here, but that was a really fun shoot. It whetted my appetite for the big bores. I would love to come back to Joe's place for another shoot, and bring my rifle so everyone can try it out!
July 19, 2011 12:30PM
I'm interested in this event also. I just need to know the projected date and see how it fits with my (my wife's) calendar."festive"
July 19, 2011 06:04PM
That's being worked on Scott.

Thanks. Glad to have ya.

We'll see to it that you get the info.

Gary
July 20, 2011 12:52AM
Awesome photos and post.

Love seeing these pics as it just shows how strong a community us airgunners are. Of course, I'M ENVIOUS i was not there.
July 20, 2011 01:05AM
If you were you, could show most of us, how to shoot. Dory
July 20, 2011 03:34AM
Yeah, except for a certain someone who split a ball on the axe offhand and made me feel so inferior I almost left early!
August 11, 2011 11:27PM
Nice and cool up here in Alaska, in the summertime, you know...

just sayin'...whistling

Of course, there is that little thing about a four thousand mile drive to get here, a bit longer for you east-coasters.sad smiley
August 12, 2011 04:59AM
Joe,

How about a fall shoot. I'll have a good idea of my situation by next spring.

I would love to go to N.C. in late October.

Lon
Anonymous User
August 12, 2011 09:00AM
Hi Lon, temps can be quite cool here in late October, and deer season is in too!! Jerry and I are working out the time, hopefully we can post something definite in the very near future. I'm not opposed to a fall shoot, just stating some facts.
August 12, 2011 09:37PM
Now if we could arrange for some deer with antlers to wander past the war wagon....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021