Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

scope

Anonymous User
scope
September 10, 2011 05:00PM
Dimension,s are 10 inch long and seven eight.s tube. Both lense,s screw off either side, and the top brass is the adjustment, that is about half inch of travel. I will donate it if you are interested, the whole thing or just the scope. Model # 4 serial# 47 Bostrom.
GaryBoxSmall.jpg
GaryLabel.jpg
Re: scope
September 10, 2011 07:16PM
Looks like an old surveyors transit scope, in good shape too!

How is the image through the telescope? I've seen some similar vintage equipment that looked great and was very finely made, but still had terrible optical qualities. Without multicoating, even the most precisely ground lenses still give up a lot of performance compared to modern optics. The new top quality optics are phenominal, but even the cheap Chinese scopes are amazingly good these days compared to stuff from fifty years ago, let alone a hundred.

I'm sure that it'll make someone a fine conversation piece. Especially if it's a southerner, seeing the provinence.smiling smiley
September 10, 2011 07:45PM
I think it would like nice up on your SS Woodsman Sean. Tripod and all! Pipe smoker
September 11, 2011 02:58AM
That's cool! I have a surveyor friend who would love to have such a piece. He was taught "old school" when that was all there was. He now has all the GPS whiz bang but still finds lots of situations when he has to revert back. A funny story reveals the fragile nature of our high tech world.

We were laying out some stub stakes for a landscape that would slope one inch every ten feet. Now this was one of those days when the GPS wasn't cooperating and it was ending up easier to use a laser level and sensor on a measuring stick. Assisting us was Raymond who related that the revolving laser is practically foolproof, unless you are on a construction site near a flashing strobe, such as on a bulldozer. Just so happens my cycling has involved me making some flashing self contained halogen strobes. I happened to have one with me to give Raymond for his bike. Every time I turned that sucker on the sensor on the stick would indicate "level" confounding Larry the surveyor.brick wall Don't ask me how he didn't see that strobe, but for some reason he just kept scratching his head. I stopped the fun before he changed the batteries in the sensor. We all had a good laugh.excited I don't know if Raymond has pulled out his strobe at work yet! If Raymond does, it would be a gas for Larry to pull this transom out of the truck as the solution.

In short, don't toss that box. I know Larry would take good care and treasure it.

Kent
Anonymous User
September 11, 2011 10:24PM
If your friend want,s this Kent, i will be more than happy to let your friend have it.Don..........
September 11, 2011 11:34PM
Thanks Don, what is the best way to pay you for the shipping and troubles. PM me.
Kent
September 12, 2011 01:36PM
Don, I know your intent was to provide this to Gary. He still is considering whether it is something he could use. Let me know if it is available after his decision. Larry is not likely to trash his GPS and go OLD old school, but it would make a nice conversation/display piece. If Gary can use it certainly that would be the highest and best use.

Kent
September 12, 2011 08:55PM
As long as you can assure me that it's not going to end up in a noted collection as the transit that Lewis and Clark used ... and therefore priceless; then I can default to a person who will use it as God intended. take a bow

Gary
September 13, 2011 03:48PM
The Lewis and Clark expedition were undoubtedly a resouceful and industrious bunch, but even they would have been pretty hard-pressed to cut a transit line-of-sight all the way to the Pacific. grinning smiley
September 13, 2011 04:44PM
Well, there ya go. But - that would not prevent a museum from printing up a tag stating so. hahaha.

Gary
September 20, 2011 06:28AM
Yup, they're mighty good at creating mountains of speculation out of a molehills worth of facts. Not in the same league as the bone-pickers and pottery-scratchers though, now THOSE guys can take any odd-shaped rock they find and make a stone tool out of it. Pretty good trick, that. eye rolling smiley
September 20, 2011 03:40PM
Hi Sean,

I particularily enjoy how they determine the social and cultural elements of stone age society from a fossil pile of dung or two crossed twigs. With the use of CG film making, you're right THERE when Ogg finds out that Oggette has been secretly seeing Ogg's brother! eye popping smiley

Gary
September 21, 2011 05:47PM
My special favorite is where they take a gander at a pair of scratches on a bone fragment, one that's been beating around in the dirt for tens or hundreds of thousands of years, chewed on by every critter imaginable from microbes to mastadons, and pronounce with a straight fact that they've got incontrovertible evidence of CANNIBALISM!

OOOHHH! Cannibals! What scary stuff! Can I have my grant money now please?

These guys make TV weathermen look like infallible geniuses. eye rolling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021