Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nitro46 Getting in the Groove

Nitro46 Getting in the Groove
November 28, 2011 01:52AM
Out to the range on this pretty southwest Virginia afternoon with the Nitro. Had some targets, some steel and two pumpkins to shoot at. Of course there were other anxious pumpkin shooters out there so the damage to the pumpkins was not limited to the Nitro, thus no pics of exploded pumpkins, but the Nitro delivers lots of energy at 100 yards.
I am starting to learn that the rifle likes the 450 grain K8 slug. I cast them out of 20:1 lead:tin alloy and size to .464". I have tried a variety of pressures and it settles down at 3100 regulated PSI at about 800 fps.
The attached photo shows three shots each at 50, 75 and 100 yards. Rifle was rested on a rolled up furniture pad. I adjusted the windage after the first three shots at 50 yards. I used the same point of aim for all three groups, thus you can appreciate the 15 inch drop at 100 yards as compared to 50 yards. the groups are (getting) respectable. I think a scope with mil dots or a graduated reticle will be next to avoid any adjustment of the scope while at range or hunting. Range can be closely estimated using the paralax adjustment on my current scope as a rangefinder.
Next experiments will be with an honest rifle resting sandbag to see if things can be tightened up a little bit more. I'll post pics.
Barnes Rifle K8 Slugs.jpg
Re: Nitro46 Getting in the Groove
November 28, 2011 02:19AM
Great job Hugh. I've also found that when you start getting really dialed in, your 100 yard groups will look like your 50 yard groups. Just an odd effect of good benchcraft.

Iphone
November 28, 2011 04:24PM
What's this?!?

Actual targets yet again?

Keep this up and people are going to think it's an airgun shooting forum. winking smiley

Nice work there. I'd say that one of the scopes with the multiple aim points in the reticle would be just the ticket. No fiddling around with the knobs once you've got it dialed in.
November 29, 2011 02:56PM
Hugh, That's some nice shooting there! I agree that a mil-dot or other ballistic reticle will be just the ticket. I hung a Burris varmint scope on the Grizzly. It has open cirles that work out really well at 14X. I mention that as some of the manufacturers have their non-mil-dots that give you a few more choices in scopes. Again, great post.

Kent
November 30, 2011 01:24AM
I also find that most any type of reticle which gives multiple points of aim is great. An open circle should be wonderful. Like a ghost site and I've always loved that design.

Gary
November 30, 2011 06:06AM
Nice targets Hugh, especially when roughly rested. I like the way your 100 yard group beats the 75 yarder.
Cheers
Neil
December 01, 2011 03:31PM
Looking good! thumbs up
December 01, 2011 03:52PM
Hugh,

You state that the charge is regulated. You're shooting tethered?

Lon
December 02, 2011 01:17AM
Hooked to the airhog via my regulator off the bench.

Hugh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021