Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Making Shot Shells ... NOW WITH HOW TO MOVIE

Making Shot Shells ... NOW WITH HOW TO MOVIE
September 14, 2011 12:18AM
a_shotshell_tools1.jpg

A batch of shot shells in the making.

Start with simple 3 by 5 index cards. They are cut to size to account for the length of the breech, the folds on each end, and the diameter of the bore. They have to fit easily, but have enough resistance to stay in place. And, you need to account for a pc. of tape on the edge.

Find the black delrin rod and that's the main tool. There's a step on each end. You prewrap the cut sections of card stock around a small object - like a pencil (I used a length of 1/4" delrin rod). That makes it so it's predisposed to wrap and lay tight around the black caliber forming rod. The short step is cut to allow you to just fold the card stock over, and crimp it along the step. The video will show this.

Note the dowel ... that's a tool to set the base wad. The small sections of dowel were just cut from a 7/16 dowel by bandsaw. I used the slow running metal saw for safety. After the base retaining fold is made (note that it only covers a small bit, and lets a big hole in the bottom. Insert the dowel cut off with bench tweezers. It will spin sideways. No sweat. use the dowel to push it down, then go in thru the hole left by folding, and just flip it almost across the bore ... push with the dowel tool, and it seats square up against the base fold. You're golden now.

Make a bunch of these. Mark the required top fold length, so it will fit the breech. Insert the buckshot, bird shot, etc. When you get to your top fill line, stop and fold each side over, then fold the 90 degree sides over that. A radial fold over works too. I thought it might be picky - but most fold designs work for me. It's the bottom fold that's critical with it's blast hole exposing the bottom wad. That makes it work.

a_shotshell_tools.jpg

Another view. I weighed and marked them. I put a base band across the long mark, just to indicate the bottom. The writing also indicates the correct orientation so you don't load them backwards in the heat of squirreldom. haha.

More later.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2011 04:51AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Making Shot Shells
September 14, 2011 12:22AM
I cut the cards to fit the length of the breech (minus some play room) and the folds. Then, the long part of the card provided enough material to cut in half and make two shot shell hulls. So - one card yielded two shells. You see the small squarish looking cards that are the prepared stock. Then, those are just rolled around the black small rod to pre-condition them to wrap, and not fight you.

This is all simple stuff, once you have done it a few times. Takes forever to describe. The video will show it.

Gary
September 14, 2011 04:08AM
Pay close attention folks, these lessons don't get repeated weekly!

BTW, for you hunters, you don't have to carry those shells loose. I have a secret...
September 14, 2011 10:25PM
Oh .. Oooooohhh .... excited .... what is it??

wow
Re: Making Shot Shells ... NOW WITH HOW TO MOVIE
September 14, 2011 04:52AM
September 14, 2011 03:53PM
nice video, thanks for posting.
Anonymous User
September 14, 2011 10:28PM
That is a perfect airshot shell. Wonder what Jerry and his son load those for?HA HA...................That is a great video Gary, but you are exposing your talent. That is rare indeed.
September 15, 2011 12:32AM
Those are Gary's specials for the .50. The boys and I came up with a similar process for the .62. My secret for the .62 is only that we found a copper pipe that has the exact dimensions we need for forming the shells and also makes a great storage device. We can make upe 5 or 6 shells and store them in a piece of the pipe. You can wander through the woods with this bit of pipe in your back pocket and never worry about damaging one of the shells. We generally load the shells to a length that requires muzzle loading so we have a ramrod handy to push the shell from the storage pipe and than load it. We've tried a bunch of different loads in the shells and that's part of the fun!
September 15, 2011 01:04AM
Exactly ... that's what all those Coooold, Snowy Snowman, Winter nights in Florida are for!! stunned

Making shot shells!

yes sir ... skeet .... Green bowing
September 15, 2011 02:51AM
That's right! You can mix shot sizes and materials and fillers and secret ingredients...
September 15, 2011 03:23AM
No more of that magic pixie dust anymore though! I've got glitter all over the shop ....
September 15, 2011 04:43AM
WOW! Gary, your the best man. That was awesome watching you make those shells. You should post this stuff on YOUTUBE.

You are one creative guy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021