Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any requests?

Any requests?
December 28, 2011 10:22PM
Gonna try to get out shooting, one more time this year. As you know, I have the 62 Orion set up. Anything you've seen before, you'd be interested in seeing tried? Or, any new ideas?

Still managing the sting of not connecting more with the Texas hunt. We tried, but it just didn't work out like it does in the movies. ;?)

I had cast a bunch of the approx 485 grain bullets that are actually the lighter slug for the 62 rifled barrel. I have two designs for the 62 smoothies and two designs for the 62 rifled barrels.

I've been working on the Woodsman Hybrid SS today again. A bunch of things came up with business, family, friends, etc. Start and stop day, but I've still gotten some work done.

Anybody shooting? Anybody thinking about shooting?

Gary
Re: Any requests?
December 28, 2011 11:21PM
Hi Gary,

Yes, I've been thinking about going shooting but... I still got some candy left overs from haloween that I would love to shoot. Good luck on your shooting time and Happy New Year to you all.

Julio
December 28, 2011 11:24PM
No specific requests, other than perhaps no more leftover turkey. lipsaresealed

The only extra slug I've got sitting around the house right now is me. grinning smiley
December 29, 2011 02:25PM
Gary,

"Still managing the sting of not connecting more with the Texas hunt."

I think it was bad mojo from using black powder.

Most of my time is taken digging for buried treasure around the new to me house. Found a huge vein of copper this week, unfortunately it was carrying 120 volts. Good thing I didn't break the water main until after I disconnected it. injured

I picked up some cheap Beeman P17 single stroke pneumatics before Christmas. I'm sending one to my nephew and I've been plinking indoors with the other. I have new-found respect for 10 meter shooters.

As far as far as suggestions, just blow stuff up at long distance with 2 different camera angles and slow motion highlights. You know, the usual.whistling

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2011 02:28PM by Bigbore.
December 29, 2011 04:43PM
Hi Gary
Getting close to doing some shooting...got the guns out and gave them a good clean. But the fantastic hot weather we had over Xmas has just turned a little sour. I will be ready when it comes right.
I have been mulling over your post on shooting down (or up) hill and that is something I need to be more aware of when I'm sighting in my guns, as lately I have been shooting targets further up the back of my place and at a reasonably steep angle. Hadn't even given a thought to the effect on POI.....
As to what you dish up for us, more of the same please! bowing -- Far East
Cheers
Neil
December 29, 2011 10:35PM
Hi Neil,

I'm certain that you realize that you have most likely already conpensated for your hill terrain. I'd suspect that you sight in where you shoot. So, therefore; when you shoot uphill to your hundred yard lasered target ... and put your scope marking thus ... you will most likely be shooting at the same incline. Your 100 yard setting might not actually be pure 100 yards for gravity on a flat billard table .... but if you mark your scope on the same hill where you shoot .. all is realitive.

When I go back out, I'll check my settings again. You know ... I also have the brain teaser of recalling the actual slug I used. My raw slugs arrived long before my sizing die set arrived. Therefore, I could not shoot the slugs I sent, but bummed a few slugs Kent had left from his trip. Now, I loaded and unloaded my gun time and again - hunt to hunt. By the time I got to the pig hunt, I can't sit here and tell you if I then loaded my default slug (by then the sizer had arrived) ... or if I was used to chambering the bummed slugs.

Now - the difference is about a hundred grains. And, oddly, the heavier slugs often shoot higher on the target than the lighter ones. My reasoning is this: The heavier slug will produce a more violent recoil, AND the round will be just a bit slower. SO; the slug will actually leave the barrel some split second later in the recoil cycle. Thus; the barrel is higher up in it's recoil jump when the slug leaves the muzzle.

It's entirely possible that I just simply screwed up and blew the shot at this pig. I'm not trying to make this rocket science. But - it's also entirely possible that certain factors were part of my screw up. The hill incline, and the exact slug. When I arrived, I took a 90 yard shot leaning against Eric's truck. I did so with the borrowed slug, and with the default slug's 90 yard setting on the scope. I nailed it well. But that was not nearly enough of a test to judge the entire yardage spectrum. We didn't have the air to burn to do a bunch of testing - without dying from pumping the gun back up. So; that was a hole in my logic.

Gary
December 29, 2011 11:23PM
Hey Gary,

I've been trying to wrap my brain around the whole "heavy slug goes higher" conundrum..it makes sense when you think of the recoil aspect. The last time I went shooting it was to do some practice with a lever gun in 45-70. It's a fairly stout recoiling combination, especially with the "bear loads" in the 400-500 grain range. I also shot some milder reloads with 300 grain all-copper hollowpoints, and as I recall, they did impact noticibly lower than the heavier loads at 100 yards. The effect has got to be exaggerated by quite a bit with air rifles, seeing as the slugs move so much slower and there is such a wide range of projectile weights for any given caliber.
December 29, 2011 10:48PM
Yikes, Lon...

You might want to check BOTH sides of the wall before you go crazy with the Saws-all next time..electrified
December 29, 2011 11:19PM
I'm going shooting Friday.

But the only thing i wanna c being shot with airguns is Ballistic gel. But i would actually like to see a whole series of the stuff being shot with airguns and different projectiles and different yardages. But hey, that's expensive and time consuming..lol

Have fun shooting GB. Hopefully i can get something worth posting on video.
December 30, 2011 05:41AM
Actually, now that I've thought about it for a while, I've got an idea...fruitcake.

The stuff might actually be bulletproof for all I know.shooter with bench rifle Who knows, it might make a good target backstop.
December 30, 2011 05:50AM
Roto,

"I've got an idea...fruitcake.

The stuff might actually be bulletproof for all I know"

Depends on how many times it's been regifted. Like work hardening metal.Weights

Lon
December 30, 2011 05:41PM
Hi Lon,

So...it would be "post-(office) hardened"?winking smiley
December 31, 2011 12:54AM
I have some absolutely amazing videos, and stills ... from a shoot today, with Jerry present. We put the 62's through paces, with amazing results.

Takes a bunch of time to process the film, etc. And, I'm already beat ... and Jerry is driving 2 1/2 hours home. So ... it's coming, as soon as it happens.

We had five cameras present. All the cards have to be loaded, etc.

Great stuff. Jerry was seriously dialed in today, with his Yukon and his dot sight. That's NO MAGNIFICATION and he was laser guided.

Cedric and Julio ... you guys are in BIG trouble! hahahah

Gary
December 31, 2011 05:36AM
can't wait to see it all.

WOOHOO!!
Anonymous User
January 13, 2012 01:32AM
Anticipation................
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021