Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Someone stop that slug...!

Someone stop that slug...!
January 29, 2012 03:19PM
Hi Guys,

Yesterday I went to my father’s farm to test some new 8mm slugs. The idea was to shoot some groups with these new slugs and to compare the results with the actual Twin Tail slugs. The weather was not appropriate for this kind of tests, because the wind was blowing at 15 to 20 mph with occasional 30 to 35 mph gusts.sad smiley It was obvious that the groups were going to be affected.what was that

I was there and I wanted to shoot at something…Checking on the back of my car I found a couple of phonebooks that I had left from the “Mass Rule” video. On that video I was using the Caribou and that’s a 500 plus fpe rifle. The PH is producing approximately 285 fpe with this 189 grain Twin Tail slug.

THE TEST: I’m going to place the phonebooks at 45 yards against ¼” plywood and see how deep the slug will go. If the slug gets trapped within one of the phonebooks we’ll have a good example of how the Twin Tail slug deforms on impact. (One of the phone books has a width of 1” and the other has a width of 2”) stunned

This following picture will show to you a width comparison between the two phonebooks.

DSC02460.JPG

I do believe that the 1” phonebook it’s too thin to stop this 8mm slug, but again I do believe that the 2” phonebook has enough mass to stop it and to recover the used slug.

Check this video…

[youtu.be]

What about that, when you think that you have seen it all…this air guns never stop to surprise me. Thanks Gary for producing such fine air guns.take a bow

Hope that you enjoy,

Julio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2012 03:24PM by Julio.
Re: Someone stop that slug...!
January 29, 2012 07:26PM
Hello Julio
Thank you for your post, my friend. You are hard on phone books!
Haha
That solid lead slug really zips right thru, doesn't it.
With the first entry hole, I cringed for the young lady on the front cover!

Thanks for enjoying your guns. It's always great to see them being enjoyed.
on the phone. better not hang around the phone book! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2012 11:32PM by barnespneumatic.
January 29, 2012 11:18PM
Good video Julio, can't wait for the sequel!
January 30, 2012 02:33AM
That's moving along right smartly to get 285 ft/lbs at that slug weight. You're right at .38 Special +P energy levels there, but I'm guessing that a regular 158 grain LSWC wouldn't plow through that target nearly as well. I'd say that if you want phone book protection from that slug, you're gonna need a big-city phone book, something like an Atlanta or a Baltimore.

My phone book up here certainly wouldn't help much, the entire listing for my town is only four pages long, and the last page only covers half of one side. laughing again They print our listings along with forty other towns in Southeast Alaska, and the phone book is still only as thick as your pinkey finger!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021