Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gotta do more testing ...

Gotta do more testing ...
September 16, 2011 04:14PM
Gonna spend a few hours at the range. Finally stopped raining here - for now.

I've completed some warrenty work, and alteration on Rex's Nitro Express 46. I need to test that and get it back in the mail.

I'll shoot a few more shots from Joe's Chameleon 50.

I'll proof the Tundra 45 Magnum for delivery.

Gary
Re: Gotta do more testing ...
September 16, 2011 04:22PM
Hi Gary,

It's apparent that you need an assistant for days like today.pushingarock It seems that you will have a busy afternoon. If I were there you could limit yourself to oversee everything while I did the hard work. Hehehe.

Good luck and happy outing.skeet

Julio
September 16, 2011 04:38PM
What a guy! I really appreciate that kind of dedication. Haha
Gary
September 16, 2011 04:43PM
Hey, it worked! Via my iPhone. Hey Joebill. I can't imagine YOU have not congratulated me. Since you are such an Apple guy. I love it so far. Gary
September 16, 2011 05:01PM
Hey Gary

It's so much sweeter when you realize it for yourself......more innocent

You will love the iPhone !

I do have 1 tip for you, though - If you have Contacts that are just on your phone (SIM card) they do NOT automatically synch to your computer on iTunes...which doesn't matter unless your SIM card gets corrupted...in which case you will have to re-enter everything what was that

anyway, on the phone, under SETTINGS, you will find one that says Mail/contacts/calender or something like that - scroll down and you will see "import SIM contacts"

Do that every once in awhile, because then when you synch to iTunes they will be stored on your computer as well!
September 16, 2011 05:41PM
OK good tip.

Hey ... good to drag you out into the sunlight. hahaha.

Gary
September 16, 2011 05:56PM
Yeah - I took the day off today!!!!!

of course, what that really means is "get everything done around the house that you've neglected" -haha

Now that I think about it, Gary, you and Apple are alot alike - I mean

Apple - started by a visionary in a garage (well, 2 guys I guess)...........GAry - one visionary in a garage/barn/shop

Apple - own sense of style, never follows the herd .................................GAry - ditto

Apple - never the cheapest, but worth every dime....................................Gary - ditto again

Apple - works right out of the box ............................................................Gary - yup, no "tuning" needed

Apple - Great, ENGLISH speaking tech support ......................................GAry - you betcha

Apple - all the hippest people want one..................................................Gary - oh yeah, we are hipsters ;-)

Apple - worth like 500 Billion dollars........................................................GAry - well, Ok this WAS getting a little ridiculous after all more innocent

BTW, I am enjoying all of the machining and metalwork pictures and videos - so much less boring than all those WOOD pictures !!!
September 16, 2011 11:33PM
Hey ... I'm WORTH half a billion ... I just need a BUYER!! hahahaah. laughing

Gary

Watch for a ton of pics ... and videos ... alll weekend.

I went to the range with 5 (COUNT 'EM!) FIVE Barnes guns this afternoon.

I have tons of video. Will dribble it all weekend.

Dinner with ta Mrs. now.

Later,

Gary

OH ...

Rex's Nitro Express 45 Mag.

Jim's Tundra 45 Mag.

Steve's 32 Mag.

Joe's Chameleon 50

Gary's 25 Ball reservoir (unfinished test bed).

smileys with beer
September 16, 2011 11:57PM
should be an exciting weekend. i can't wait..... now i gotta go save my plants from the frost!
love this time of year.
steve
September 17, 2011 02:22AM
Glad you got to spend some quality time at the range."festive"
And Remember.....NO Texting While Driving OR Shooting! hahaha

Rick G.
September 17, 2011 04:22AM
Here's just the start of things.

a_5guns.jpg

a_NitroMag.jpg

I have to process it all - However; I'll start with a story. I arrived at the range, to notice what I took to be a fox, up the road a ways, on the edge of the field. As I backed around, I lamented that I never have a gun of mine that's ready to go. All these guns had just had a scope stuck on them - nothing sighted in.

I backed the trailer in, and opened a couple of doors. I looked back, and the fox was still milling around in the gravel road. It hadn't looked right to me, I thought ... what the heck ... I have the ball gun sighted for 10 yards. I'd even put a smaller rear aperture on it, to reduce the focus to 10 yards. I took that off quickly. Probably hadn't put air in it for a year, at least.

I grabbed a few 25 caliber Falcons and a couple of buckshot. I started walking up the road. The road climbed a pretty good hill. This is just a gravel road back thru fields. No traffic at all. The animal was still milling around. I found that I could place the taller grass in the center of the gravel road, between me and the aminal as I climbed the steep grade. That kept me masked somewhat.

As I got closer, I kept feeling there was something wrong with the view. I finally got closer enough to stop and raise the gun. What that a Fox? Someone's ugly dog? I looked. Surely a sick fox. Skinny. Color faded. Rope tail. By the time it noticed me, I was looking thru the scope with the gun loaded and cocked. I fired. Of course, as I say - it was last shot when I rigged it for those indoor tiny targets some of us shot and posted while the rest of you refused to play with us. whistling And, that was at 10 yards. Now I'd unrigged the scope, and loaded a different slug. And, of course, did it still have air?

Well, the gun barked, and the animal took off at a lope. Did I hit it? I should have. It was facing me and I'd aimed about it's lower jaw to hedge my bets. As it trotted off at an angle. I had time to load and get back on it. I cocked the hammer and lead it. BANG!!! THUD!!! Like shooting into mud. Sounded like a solid hit to me. But, in a couple of steps, it was in a thigh high Soybean crop. I wasn't about to follow a probably rabid Fox into a thigh high thick field. So; I hope it peacefully expired.

So, that was the start of the range session!

I have a bunch of clips. Of course, setting up, starting the camera, walking back to the War Wagon ... getting seated within, loading, cocking the gun, aiming, firing, leaving and walking back to the camera. Stopping it. Approaching the targets. Repainting, resetting, re setting the camera. Many, many, many times. I think I have some fun stuff, but 95% of the footage is waiting for the action to happen. I have to edit and string it all together.

Check back.

Gary
September 17, 2011 04:29AM
BTW ... the guns worked great. That was the purpose of the range session. To field proof the guns, after having worked on them.

Of course, I'd had to slap a scope on three of them, so that meant also roughly sighting in the guns well enough to hit the targets I wished to video tape. Was a busy range session. Nice weather and I enjoyed it.

It's about 12:30 am ... more tomorrow (later today).

Gary
September 17, 2011 05:03AM
for the size, those fox are kinda creepy looking. we had one near the garage awhile back and it seemed to have no fear. didn't seem agressive and looked pretty healthy but my presence didn't seem to matter. he finally took off but they have a matterfact glare that makes you think twice. oh and the middle one in the photo is a real looker......
steve
why am i up so late?
September 17, 2011 03:22PM
I can't beleive nobody has complimented that fine spruce stock on my ball gun .... why me
September 17, 2011 06:14PM
don't know much about wood but it looks nice. is that rifle based on an antique? what's the ball made of?
steve
September 17, 2011 06:33PM
Now THAT'S a range session! You took more guns out today than Ced takes on his weekly hunts!

That group of guns would be an awesome collection by itself.

I hope you didn't blowoff the pill timer and forget to get back to it with all the set-up and shooting and filming.
September 17, 2011 07:10PM
Jerry,

You know me Dude. I did blow off the pill alarms ... but I came to later ... and pilled up. Thanks.

I'm paying today, for all the walking and hustling around.

I've edited together a ton and a half of items. I then hit "Publish to thius Computer" ... and the squirrel cage wheel started running. Now ... I should have saved it first .... I realize. But, I was gonna dump all the prep work. Well, now the thing is running and running and running. And, I'm afraid to touch it. I'll let it run for an hour. It's a long movie. I know it takes a bunch of time to "render it" ... but ... it should be a law that program designers build in some sort of HUMAN feedback to let you know if it's working, or if it's screwed up. Just a circle chasing it's tail is little info. How about a progress bar? hummmmmmmm. haha.

Well, if I have to do it all over again, I can ... but I won't like it.

Do you know - you or Cedric ... does Windows Movie Maker do it this way? On the Adobe movie maker program I use, it gives you a progress bar ... tells you the digits of info it's working with.

Gary
September 20, 2011 06:06AM
I was wondering where that ball reservoir had up and gone off to. Hmmm....

That's quite a bit of work ready to head out the door, nice work Mr. Barnes!smileys with beer

I too wish that more software had a "still working on it for real, and not just chasing my tail" meter of some sort. Actually, it would probably be more useful to just have a "locked up in an endless loop, give up and start over" indicator instead. That way you could just get the futile thrashing of desktops and useless muttering of profanities out of the way right off thebat and get back to doing it all over again without wasting time. brick wall
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021