Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pine down!!!

Pine down!!!
August 27, 2012 05:45AM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Gotta brag a bit. I felled a tree that seemed to be a hazard for the upcoming storm. It was leaning significantly toward the tractor shed and over where I park the new trailer. I had to throw it 90 degrees to the direction of the severe bend. Thats not where it would have wanted to fall. Here is the wedge I removed. You see the two inch hinge wood I left to control the direction and the fall rate (thats the wood now splintered). That stays together as the tree bends over. Steers it. Eventually tears apart as the tree falls. And you see the high cut on the back to release the tree. It fell exactly where planned. chainsaw I should get a guest appearance on one of those logging shows! Haha.

Video to follow - eventually.

winking smiley. Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2012 01:37PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Pine down!!!
August 27, 2012 01:40PM
Forensic Tree Felling:

Noticed this am. There are a few stumps around the wood/brush area off to the corner of the house. Noting the features pointed out above ... I can tell when the trees were cut and where they fell. These features indicate the direction was right thru the master bedroom excited .... and thus; the "when" was .... before the house was here! winking smiley

Gary
August 27, 2012 01:42PM
Oh ... and I nudged the tree over the hinge ... with the tractor bucket up high on the tree. Video when I get the chance. Kelly shot some footage. Kinda fun. Wish I had a new finished airgun to show you. Shop needs sweeping first though. why me
August 27, 2012 02:21PM
Aw come on that looked more like a sappling but still afine job on cut hehaheha .I m a lumber jack and i work all day . Always hated the pine cause of the sap but LOVE the smell going thru the chipper Couldnt save it for Christmas tree hey?

Thanks
Kurt
August 27, 2012 03:31PM
Gary,

I was shown the hinge wedge by a guy who did the tree work on my other house - crying - works great.

You guys have some heavy rain coming! It looks like we just finished the last band of rain as I type this; two days almost nonstop.

Lon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2012 03:36PM by Bigbore.
August 27, 2012 10:02PM
Hi Lon,
Glad you didn't get hit hard.
As you see, the storm has moved quite a bit west from us. Even with the Eastern side getting the brunt of the storm, I think we will be OK. Hope Kent is good near Gulfport.
Made all prep here that was reasonable, and then a bit more.
Thks.
Gary
August 28, 2012 02:00PM
I prefer to do my tree felling with my track hoe. It's still exciting to drop a tree that weighs a thousand pounds just where you want it The trick is a good dig and then you pull it toward you until you hear and feel the tap root snap. At that point you push it away and guide its initial fall. My best challenge was to clear my side of the neighbors fence and dropping some trees adjacent to a house and a 25 foot sailboat sitting on oil drums. In these cases you also have to be aware of the root ball erupting from under the ground destroying the fence/boat.

Kent
August 28, 2012 07:08PM
When I grow up ... I want a track hoe too! thumbs up

winking smiley
Anonymous User
August 30, 2012 11:10PM
I'll supervise and yell timberrr!!!!
August 31, 2012 04:07AM
We could have used you. Nobody yelled at all !! bullhorn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021