Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another fun day AG'nin (AirGunnin)

Another fun day AG'nin (AirGunnin)
September 30, 2011 12:49AM
Sorry for the link to the pics instead of attaching them. Again, i downsize my pics to a certain size during editing and they appear to be just a tad to big to view on the whole page hear. But it would be more work to save 2 different copies of the same pic. So forgive the links and enjoy the post:

After toying with some ideas about DE-tuning my Logun Solo, i wanted to move the velocity down a bit to around 800 or so. After doing so, i found the groups to be LESS THAN STELLAR or acceptable. So then i decide to set the velocity at around 880-890 fps with Crosman Premiers and JSB Exacts in .20 cal. I still have not come to a conclusion as to which pellet i like more, the CP's or the JSB's in this caliber so for now, i shoot them both. They both have produced some stellar groups at different velocities. More testing and more time behind the Solo's trigger will tell me which ONE pellet the gun likes. But i know i prefer the heavier weight of the CP at 14.3 grs. For the climate here in California, the heavier weight projectiles suite my cravings for longer shots while in windy conditions. The .20 does get blown of course EASILY. I was using 3 mil dots of windage to shoot a couple of balloons at 100 yards. I attached a small video below of me popping those 2 balloons (nothing fancy).

My usual morning started off with setting up to sight in. The Solo would be up first as the winds were i shoot usually don't start blowing till around 8'ish. Now would be a great time to start with the smaller and lighter caliber. Since moving the velocity to 880-890 in my garage, this would be the first group from the gun at that FPS range. I also had previously cleaned the barrel. Aside from the CP's and JSB's, the Dynamic SPC-5 pellets at 12 grains were also brought along for testing. These pellets to date seem to only like high speed. i've pushed them around 1000 FPS and they perfom well but not stellar. Shooting them at 890+ fps would prove interesting. What i also want to do from here on out when i post a GROUP picture of any of my daily targets, i want to show the first group with the gun instead of a hand picked on. Random groups like these ones are to me what a normal group looks like. Its not the best of 10-15 groups from the day, these pics are the FIRST 2 at about 7:45 am. Here are the results:

[www.youtube.com]

The Solo .20:
[i39.photobucket.com]

Group w/14.3 gr Crosman Premiers:
[i39.photobucket.com]
[i39.photobucket.com]

Group w/13.5 gr JSB Exacts. Again, the DYNAMICS were no good in the solo:
[i39.photobucket.com]
[i39.photobucket.com]

A little more fine tuning and i think i will keep it there. 880-890 FPS seems to be a good place for this gun and what i wanna do with it. She also shoots this accurtely at 1000 fps with CP's but, i wanted to make this gun a lot more conservative with air. Even though i've shot it numerous times at 100 yards, i will call 75 yards MAX on small game for this gun at this setting. I'm good with that.

After plinking and playing with the Solo, i broke out the Rapid .25 and tried some 100 yard groups with the Benji domes and the the Kings. Both pellets shot very well to say the least. I really could use either slug but, i guess i'm just a die hard JSB man. I have a bunch of those and i was given about 100 Benji Domes so, that's good as i don't have to buy more pellets. Here is a 55 yard group from last month with the domes and kings. Again, these groups were shot FIRST. No best of the day groups but, pulled the gun out and simply shot these groups:
[i39.photobucket.com]
[i39.photobucket.com]

I then pull out my Corsair and JH 457 and i attempt to sight them in at 100 yards. Unfortunately it did not go so well as i forgot my Corsair bullets (don't ask).........ARGGGGGHHHH! and i only found about 20 in the bottom of my ammo box and the Haley needed some fine tuning as i've been playing with trying to make the gun more efficient. I think I'm headed in the right direction with the Haley but i will see come this weekend when i can shoot it again. Well, these things happen so i then decide to put up the big bores but not before i blasted another 2 water balloons at 100 yards with the Haley. This gun is a beast and is very accurate. Time for a group photo of what i brought out for the day. The picture explains it all:
[i39.photobucket.com]

After packing up the hardware...lol. I head to one of my ground squirrel spots to let the ole trusty Rapid .25 stretch her legs. It had become too windy to break out my LS.20 which is the gun i had planned to primarily hunt with on this day. I took 3 ground squirrels and 2 were at 75 yards and one was at 68 yards. One of the 75 yard shots had to be made in the heart while shooting just under a branch that was half blocking the squirrels head and body. When i say my Rapid .25 is a Surgical Scalpel, i'm not exaggerating in the slightest. Today was a good day for the Rapid .25 and the JSB Kings:
[i39.photobucket.com]

Here is a lil fella i appropriately named WOODY as he kept flying next to me to get a look. Must have been a FEMALE bird....lol. So i shot her too...........WITH MY CAMERA:
[i39.photobucket.com]

Despite the big bore issues, this day like no other was thoroughly enjoyable as any day in the field no matter the outcome is better than any day in the office. Air guns are truly a BLAST.
Re: Another fun day AG'nin (AirGunnin)
September 30, 2011 02:52AM
Hi Cedric,

Thanks for the post. Great and thorough as always.

Bummer about the big bores. I'll have to .... oh wait ... does it say BARNES on there somewhere ... whistling .... hhahhahah ... hehheehhe

Amazing that your Rapid tolerates that camera stacked way up on top and still delivers wonderful accuracy. Of course, I see that you have it all wrapped up tight to keep it from blowing up and stuff ... laughing again

Gary
September 30, 2011 04:19AM
That rapid is one of the best documented guns on the web...only the Woodsman shoots better.....uh oh! Clearly Cedric needs to come out for a show down (bring the fruit son!). laughing
September 30, 2011 03:56PM
You guys really keep me laughing man. i love the fact that both of you give me a hard time.

Gary......what can i say but, NO THOSE GUNS DO NOT HAVE BARNES on the side so shame on me. And i will leave that at...THAT! And yes, The Rapid is a tank and very well made. Those guys in Europe really know how to make finely built airguns.

JERRY................IT'S ON........i'm going GREEN GRAPE at either 125 or 150 yards. Time to do some trajectory plots and put those mil dots to use (old maaaaaan!).laughing
September 30, 2011 08:24PM
He said "old man". Uh oh....surprised
September 30, 2011 10:34PM
It's a race to raisins then youngster! shooter

Darn, I need a desert nearby!
October 01, 2011 06:22AM
Nice shot on the yellow water balloon considering the wind looked to be blowing hard enough to make shooting a .20 a challenge at that distance.shooter

Lon
October 02, 2011 03:23AM
Uh-oh, someone mentioned raisins. I'm outta here!winking smiley
October 02, 2011 05:04AM
Hopefully i can pull off the shot tomorrow with the Grapes. Will be shooting 2 camera angles for PIC IN PIC. Bought some today while shopping. OH YEAH JER!...I WAS SERIOUSexcited...lol

Big Bore, it actually only took me 2 shots to get the yellow balloon. I miscalculated the mildots and put only the second one on it instead of the 3rd. But once i realized my goof, it was shot for shot. Of course if the wind would have stopped briefly, i would have missed again.......lol. But after shooting those ballons and being somewhat satisfied with the FPS, i now know that 100 yards with that gun is only for PERFECT DAYS.

Here is a perfect example of the difference between a big bore projectile and a small bore airgun projectile. On that same shot but using my JH 457 shooting 320 gr FPS at 780 FPS, the hold was dead on and 1 shot EASY using no WINDAGE mil dots. The .20 at 880 fps using 14.3 CP's was 3 WINDAGE mil dots into the wind. Both guns were shooting straight at 50 yards before i relocated to shoot those 4 balloons. I shot the .20 on video FIRST then immediately walked down to set up the last 2 balloons to shoot with the Haley. The wind is identical in both videos.
October 02, 2011 02:40PM
I'm serious too! I just have to wait on a chance to go shoot at 100 yards and then hope the appointed day isn't stormy. I'll have to make up some Bishops to be ready! Maybe some Pepper Grinders and Cans too...

group.jpg

Group.JPG

I need to see if I can still shoot like that. I guess I better, what with the challenge and all!whistling
October 03, 2011 07:57PM
Cedric ... I tried to help Jerry out.

I was gonna turn a big honkin' golf tee - about 3 feet long. Paint a watermelon like a grape ... and set it on there to film. whistling

At about 300 yards ... hahaha.

But - he thinks regular grapes are plenty big enough. So; I've got my yard chair all set up ... grinning smiley

Gary
October 05, 2011 04:37AM
laughing

I love it. Ok Jerry, maybe you can get it done first then. I never made it out this weekend so, if you get out, then you have a chance to do it first. But i do have the grapes and the golf tees and like you, i'm waiting on a day were there is not 15 MPH winds..........ARRRGGGGHHH!

Jerry, is there a caliber limit? I know its all about BIG BORES only (.30 and UP) but does it matter the caliber? Since your using 32 cal maybe i should just stick with my .308. Using a big 45-50-62 cal bullet only makes a GRAZE look like a hit. Just saying
October 05, 2011 04:39AM
And on a SERIOUS NOTE......Jerry............those are amazing groups. GB done good.
October 05, 2011 01:40PM
I just gotta say ..... If you get "grazed" by a 62 ... I suspect it would feel like a "hit" .... Haha. laughing
October 05, 2011 09:51PM
I agree. I've seen a ton of target material GRAZED by various calibers and man, if it were tissue, even those grazes would feel like a center hit.

OUUUUUUCH!
October 06, 2011 02:44AM
Ced,

If I "graze" a grape with my Yukon and zero power red dot.... you got some serious shootin' to do! laughing
If I take the .32 out of the Woodsman and graze grapes at 100, I'll never shoot for groups again and you should just surrender!!! LOL! I wouldn't even try for fear that Gary would say "give me a chance" and nail the first grape!

Given the first chance, I'll try the shot with the .32 in the Woodsman. That's the gun that first allowed me to shoot tiny groups, you ought to try with your best gun... and then rub it in with the rest!
October 06, 2011 05:21AM
LOL...nice response Jer. Ok, i'll hopefully get a chance again either this weekend or Monday. I hear a couple of my buds wanna go shoot some air on Monday so, we will c.
October 06, 2011 01:59PM
Well, I guess it's time for the first annual "Grape Off". We'll have to make arrangements.

Oh no ..... THAT's Alright! "I" don't have to shoot. I can just set up the grape. whistling Fortunately, shouldn't take more than one. Camera ... certainly, I can run the camera. You 'all just have a good time.....
October 06, 2011 08:47PM
Ohhhhhh NOOOO GB, you are allowed to JOIN our LONG RANGE SUPER SNIPER AIRGUN FRUIT CHALLENGE or L.R.S.S.A.F.C. for shortlaughing

But you first must prove your self on video......lol We need to see you at least shoot a KIWI or LEMON at 100 yards (GRANDPA)...lol..lol...lol..lol

And yes GB, i am laughing pretty good right now and enjoying my own jokes.
October 07, 2011 12:48AM
Waddchacallme??? bad dude

Who you callin' a KIWI?

Pipe smoker

Derned kids ...

That's fine ... I might just have to use a blow pipe ... cause I seem to sell all the rifles I ever make for myself ... knucklehead

Yeah ... you'll EAT those lemons afore we're done ...

Pop Deadeye Bang!
October 06, 2011 09:33PM
laughingCriminy, how much of the produce section is going to be there?!!!
October 07, 2011 05:57PM
LOL

This is turning out to be really fun and it also show cases how well the Barnes guns can shoot.

And no guys, i was not being sarcastic or funny. I was serious. I've always thought his guns to be well built and accurate and this little fun fruit shoot fest of ours just proves it. now i just have to switch guns to a GB gun.
October 08, 2011 03:21AM
Tofaz, I was a bit late to catch up with this great post! Nice to see you enjoying your shooting. Gotta do some too!

Regards

Neil
October 08, 2011 05:20AM
Thanx for replying Neil. Better late than never i always say and i appreciate you taking the time.

But yeah, pack up your shooting gear......turn off the computer and cell phone......don't forget your wallet....drive to your local shooting range and enjoy yourself and then come back home and report it all hear. I would love to read all about it.
October 09, 2011 05:06AM
You forgot the stop at the produce section...
October 09, 2011 03:58PM
He's getting forgetful. Sure sign of age ... whistling

Weights OLD GUYS RULE
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021