Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

It's ELECTRIC!!! electrified

It's ELECTRIC!!! electrified
October 20, 2012 12:57AM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Worked with a fellow today to install electrical service to the new shop building!!! Yeah.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Installed service box for the lower shop. Another big CHECK on the list.

Gary
Re: It's ELECTRIC!!! electrified
October 20, 2012 04:59AM
So, how much juice we talkin'?sunny

Lon
October 20, 2012 01:38PM
Oh, lots of juice. Enough for one old guy to run one tool at a time. winking smiley.
October 20, 2012 10:06PM
Just like upgrading my computer. The older I get, the faster my current system gets.doggie

Lon
October 20, 2012 10:30PM
There is a 200 Amp service at the primary shop. The lower shop will run on an underground 100 amp trunk line. Waaay more then necessary. So long as the elves don't turn on everything at once. Haha. So; I've put the switched extra high. wink

Gary
October 20, 2012 10:36PM
Ran steel conduit and boxes today. Fir out and sheath areas before that. It's a lot of work. But soon there will be "life" at the lower shop. Yeah.

Also working toward the partition at the upper shop. Clearing stuff to get to that area.

thumbs up
October 20, 2012 11:59PM
I was wondering about the elves, you're way ahead of me.

I can't wait to see how the shops take shape.Pipe smoker

Lon
October 21, 2012 04:30PM
Thks Lon.
I can't WAIT to get these shops running. It's been steady progress, but an enormous work load.
The weather has turned absolutely perfect, so that's a wonderful perk.
Gary
October 21, 2012 08:19PM
Gary,

Good luck with your first winter without snow. I hope you don't have some kind of de-tox.Snowman

Lon
October 21, 2012 05:40PM
WhooHoo.! Let the Lathe therapy begin.! grinning smiley
October 21, 2012 10:42PM
You got it Rick. Can't wait.
I've found a young man with quite a few skills that had been helping me. That is a tremendous bonus. Early stages, but promising.
Next project is the partition in the upper shop which will become my "command center". Main workbench and machine shop area. That will allow me to begin putting things away. THANK GOD!!!
Gary
October 22, 2012 12:12AM
That is a Very Good Thing.! Hope it continues to work out.
I have been working on some Wood for the ReModel here as well. So far 3 coats of linseed oil.
Wood.jpeg
October 22, 2012 01:06AM
Hi Rick,
Whatever it is, it looks great. I see roof lines in the background. You aren't installing an oiled wood roof, are you? Another idea!
October 22, 2012 05:55PM
Thought about itlaughing haha No, That is a NEW Metal roof. The Wood is Hickory, going to be a false beam, 24' long when done, i HOPE.....
October 23, 2012 12:02AM
Love Hickory. Whenever I'm at Lowes, I love the look and color of the hickory cabinets. Don't tell anyone. I'm always upstaged by some blasted tree after I've spent two years making a wonderful pneumatic machine. I made that simple bark/limb bed frame ya know. Without exception - everyone Kelly or myself has shown a picture of it to has said ... "ohhhh, I LOVE the floors!!!". So; ya see, I don't often let on that I like wood ... wink
October 23, 2012 01:56AM
Well, i to Love Hickory, but i must say that the Metal work you do impresses me as much, if not more than your woodwork. Especially since i am hopeless at Both!
There is just so much More Time involved in working a piece of metal & there is so much more that can't be seen, but is more important than what can be seen.? ( i am not doing so good a job of expressing my thoughts, but i am sure you know what i mean.)what was that Better quit while i'm behind.....
October 23, 2012 03:42AM
Haha.

Well, everybody lives pretty wood. Thing is, wood doesn't have to do too much in the situations where it's just supposed to sit and be pretty. Takes quite a bit to make a machine. And then the wood furniture, dash, knobs, etc., still steal the show. You can build a Rolls Royce and folks will talk about the dash. Haha.

Your hickory is beautiful. Gonna be a real focal point of the room. Just don't try to put anything else in that room. Nobody will see anything but the beam. Haha.

Wink. USA!  USA!

Gary
October 24, 2012 03:27AM
Hickory is great to look at, but it sure likes tearing out bits of grain when you least expect it. The guys that mill out all that cabinet work must have some razor-sharp carbide bits.
October 24, 2012 11:46PM
Yea, That's why i let someone else do the Mill work!
October 25, 2012 12:09AM
How about some End Grain Hickory.
BB.jpg
October 25, 2012 02:43AM
Very neat Rick. What type of glue did you choose to keep all that under control? Quite a mosaic effect. Well done. winking smiley. Gary
October 25, 2012 04:45AM
That is one fine looking tabletop, lots of detail work there. You must be quite proficient with big pipe clamps by now. grinning smiley
October 25, 2012 01:45PM
While i appreciate the kind words & thoughts,
I did NOT make that. A place up in Michigan made it & shipped it down here.
While i can appreciate fine wood work, i myself can't make a simple bird house!

So Gary, when can we expect to see that end grain hickory stock?! laughing
October 25, 2012 01:53PM
Shortly. I'm trying to decide between a herringbone or a twead pattern ... Another idea!
October 26, 2012 01:49AM
I see....

So, I guess that gets you out of questions about where one obtains a 60" wide planer. winking smiley
October 26, 2012 02:11AM
Sean, If i knew, i would tell you.!
October 26, 2012 02:43PM
Guys,
That work can only be done with a 60" wide BELT/DRUM sander. You cannot plane end grain no matter how sharp the planer knives. Cabinet shops have these huge wide sanders. You run the work thru under the drum just like a planer.
The last alternative would be the "slack belt" type of sander. You have an enormous long wide belt. The work is moved under it on 3-d rollers. (ball rollers). The belt sings by just above the horizontal work, but not touching it. The workman uses a friction plate/pad above the portion of the belt that's rushing by. He presses down on what is the inside ifbthe belt and thus brings it into contact with the work. He does this while attempting to avoid being sliced up by the edge of the belt. By now, I'm sure it's all hermetically sealed and robotic.
And that's how ya's makes 'yer basic end grain table top - ya sees? Pipe smoker

Gary
October 26, 2012 03:31PM
That is a beautiful table and if it came from up here in MICHIGAN it could be Amish made . I have seen some of their operations and it is incredible the amount of old school labor that goes into a table of that size and probably made from scraps (drops) but not to sure about the hickory supply here in Mich.Lots of pine and sugar maple. In my younger years it would have been a great learning exp to do some wood working and barn razing .but my love of iron and steel is where i ended up

Thanks
Kurt
October 26, 2012 10:03PM
Gary,
Thanks for the lesson. i wasn't to sure that it could be done by a planer, now i Know it Can't.

Kurt,
It came from a place in Hubbard Lake. Don't know if that is Amish country or not.

Rick.
October 27, 2012 07:09PM
Learn something new every day. smiling smiley

Extrapolating from what a belt costs for my dinky little hand-held belt sander, those five-foot wide belts must be very expensive. eye popping smiley
October 28, 2012 02:11AM
You can bet on that. Can you feel the pain of running thru a pc. of wood with high resin content or a glue line that gums up a belt? Oh nooooo!!!!!
Now the slack belt version is lower tech. You could even allow for a bad section coming around and alter your friction plate rhythm to miss that part. Those run slower.
Either way, it's the economics of a balanced demand vs. production cost.
Gary
October 28, 2012 04:54AM
And I guess if you tear a hole in a belt, you've got hand-sandpaper out the wazoo once you cut it all up.

That slack-belt system seems like the one for me. I've been accused plenty of times of being a slacker.

Natural talent, I suppose winking smiley
October 28, 2012 06:34PM
And yet; bet me a dollar .... A high production shop with a 60" drum sander probally wouldn't take the time to cut up a damaged belt. They'd have forty boxes of every size and shape refill in the tool room. It would be for some young craftsman like I was, to come begging for their damaged belts, before the dumpster was picked up. winking smiley. And the world turns ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2012 06:37PM by barnespneumatic.
October 31, 2012 08:12PM
Got that right.

I've been on a quest to find some salvage pressure-treated timbers to replace the rotten floor in our old woodshed (rotten floors seem to be a recurring theme in this place for some reason) . I can't see buying hundreds of dollar of brand-new timbers to patch up a rickety fifty year-old post shed with a flapping tin roof, but I don't like falling thorough the floorboards either. Someone told me that the state DOT replaces the timbers that hold up highway guard rails on a semi-regular basis, so I'm thinking that would be a good place to start. We'll see how that turns out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 1
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021