Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

slam rod fire starter

slam rod fire starter
November 10, 2012 02:49AM
Was looking on Gizmag.com at a new type wood stove, wich got me to utube and this air compressed fire starter popped up.
Has any one ever seen or made one?

Joe
Re: slam rod fire starter
November 10, 2012 06:32AM
G,

A guy on YouTube does some excellent review videos, he did this firestarter I think. I'm hooked on this guy's videos.woodsman

It's the first fire starter he reviews so if you don't care for his style, it's at about the 10 minute mark in the video.

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2012 06:34AM by Bigbore.
November 10, 2012 03:26PM
There is one acrylic fire piston that shows the flash of ignition.
Will this happen in a air rifle.... dieseling ?

Joe
November 10, 2012 04:27PM
That is exactly what happens, as I understand. That is why the lubricant used on spring piston guns and their ammo is important. Some oils will violently ignite when compressed. Some less so.

Gary
November 10, 2012 07:11PM
With higher psi in use does the barrel/ chamber temp go up or down when fired ?
I would assume down since it's a release of pressure.

Joe
November 10, 2012 08:27PM
I'm far from a spring gun expert. But I've seen pics of the burnt ends of pistons from dieseling. And yes Kurt, the ignition cycle is gonna push in all directions so part of that will be slamming the piston bank against the spring and against the natural recoil cycle that spring assembly is trying to go thru. Not a healthy situation for the mechanical parts of the gun, I'd think.
Gary
November 10, 2012 07:22PM
I think in some of the old days according to what I read that is what some other fellas use to do is put kerosene or fuel oil in there Springer airguns to Sup them up .a lot of the old springers but I have picked up at gun sales just seem to rattle and Shake like a bag of bones and I believe that's what it is from .I did see bear grills use 1 on 1 of his shows or maybe it was les stroud on 1 of their s urvivor shows .I also believe it was a homemade 1 the slam fire starter piston .it took a few shots to work but it was pretty amazing to see an ember.yep gotta love ingenuity

Thanks
Kurt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021