Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

852.6 FPE

852.6 FPE
October 10, 2011 07:53PM
Had a little fun today with the Yukon....

About a week ago, I ordered a couple bullet molds from Accurate Molds. I had not expected them to arrive for a couple weeks but I was surprised by the package and happy to see some very nicely made molds waiting for me.

I got 2 .62 molds, one drops a 677gr slug and the other a 664gr slug. Here's a picture of the slugs with a 220gr Raptor .452 for comparison.

62s.jpg

62s2.jpg

For you frequent hunters, note that the meplat on these slugs is a full .45!

I bought these molds on a whim just because that's what a hobbiest does. I have a great slug already for the gun that shoots well, blows up melons and knocks down trees but I figured the gun could handle another 100 grains so I figured, why not?

Well, the gun surely handles the extra mass!

PJ and I took a few shots across the chrony today and WOW! The bigger slug went 753fps for 852.6 FPE (slug weighs 677gr) and the smaller slug (664gr) went 748fps for 825.1 FPE. I'm curious about the lower velocity on the smaller slug but the neighborhood probably can't take extensive testing! eye rolling smiley AJ said he was at the bus stop and heard the gun go off and his friend fell off his skateboard! Nonetheless, when Timmy got home, he got to take a shot at 850 FPE just because he's earned it! Big grin there!

Obviously, we didn't do any accuracy testing but the initial feel is good. PJ put the 677s pretty close to POA and on a consistent elevation and the two of us had a double with the 664s shooting at the same target. Nothing conclusive for sure but encouraging.

BTW, here's an important "don't look silly tip," if you're shooting an 850 FPE airgun from an awkward kneeling position to align with your chrony.... make sur you're braced against something! I almost fell on my butt as the recoil had no mercy on my precarious balance.
Re: 852.6 FPE
October 10, 2011 08:34PM
You know ... takes a hundred quick shots in a row to really get the sence of a new slug. hahaha. laughing Better wear your thick flannel shirt.

Well, THAT is a significant little blip in the power curve Jerry. (We'll talk about you going off reservation later ... hehheheh)

Slugs look real nice. Are they hollow point?

Guess you'll feel obligated to send along a little something extra now, for all that good measure hidden in the gun. grinning smiley

Gary
October 10, 2011 09:39PM
NOT hollowpoints, I'd rather beat my head against the wall than cast those things! Yes, thanks much for the extra measure! We'll have to wring these out next time... In between shooting grapes and such of course!
October 10, 2011 11:03PM
I'll bet that 852.6 fpe will go clear THRU a grape!!

wow
October 10, 2011 10:01PM
Wow Jerry! That's a whole new territory. Exiting! Hopefully the Yukon will like the new slugs.Weights
October 10, 2011 11:18PM
I think we might have a grape covered but I stilfl worry about those pigeons!

Julio,

It's not really new territory as the gun is exactly like Gary made it. I just put a little more mass in it. I hope they fly.
October 11, 2011 12:40AM
Some loosely related comments:

Has to do with the current lack of knowledge with our day and age, regarding firearms. I had three recent examples - can only think of two now.

Jerry mentioned the pigeon. I recently watched a TV show where a guy was accused of murder. His gun was tested, and found to have been recently fired. He told the cops that he'd been bothered by a pigeon on his room early in the morning .... he'd shot it with his 45 1911 handgun. Later in the show, they had a pigeon in a plastic bag, on a desk, "with a 45 slug in it's belly". stunned

On the radio the other day ... the DJ was trying to make a joke about the Wall Street protesters. His base line was that they were scruffy from being there so long. He said ... "You want to make sure you are down wind from them".

I'll eventually think of the other.
October 11, 2011 03:01AM
OK ... thought it was more obvious. The punch lines are that a pigeon isn't going to stop a 45, and if something smells bad ... you want to be "UP-wind". Downwind brings the smell to you. When you hunt ... you want to stay downwind from the game ... cause the current is taking your scent away from the game.

BTW ... today ... on the by-pass around Westminster ... totally built up urban area ... dead deer on the curb of the four lane. And ... it was a buck with one remaining antler. why me

Anyway Jerry ... those are some honkin' big slugs. I can't wait to see them fly. I'll bet they do fine. I made a 56 caliber slug way back when close to the right one. Flew well in the first 56 Bison.

Post the molds if you care to. If they didn't require a cherry cutter, then they must be using CNC to make them.

thumbs up

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2011 03:09AM by barnespneumatic.
October 11, 2011 04:13PM
Yeowza!wow

Lon
October 11, 2011 04:50PM
1st off........nice looking slugs Jerry.

GB, i bet it won't. LOL
October 11, 2011 06:42PM
Cedric,

(I'm being nice. Jerry's decided to troll the gutter instead of staying here with the pure at heart ... )

laughing

USA!  USA!

Gary

Yes - I'm kidding.
October 11, 2011 09:22PM
Here's the pictures of the mold I found while trolling the gutter... smiling smiley
top2.jpg
top.jpg
bottom.jpg
L side.jpg
R side.jpg
R inside.jpg
L inside.jpg
October 11, 2011 10:26PM
Don’t you worry Jerry, apparently they are “ACCURATE”More coffee
October 12, 2011 12:21AM
They must be! It says so right there! laughing
October 12, 2011 05:39AM
That was funny Julio...lol

Thats one heck of a slug. First RC's 452 bullets now yours. I definitely know where i'm getting my next mold from in 457
October 12, 2011 05:24PM
Wow! 852.6 Grape Pounds!!!boing

Seriously, that's powerful, and they look mean! Can they do MOG though? (Minute of Grape)

Neilknucklehead
October 12, 2011 06:30PM
I'm hoping for MOM (Minute of Melon) first!
October 13, 2011 06:10AM
OK, I understand they are not Barnes slugs.....Pipe smoker
October 13, 2011 12:23PM
Well ... THANK YOU Neil. grinning smiley

I was getting a bit of a complex .... got this twitch ... crazy
October 13, 2011 03:12PM
That's amazing energy Jerry! I wonder if I should taint my Grizzly with those or have SureFire drop some of those Barnes' five rings that work so well? Aw shucks, If you can make up 25 each, I'll paypal you the cabbage.

Thanks for sharing,
Kent
October 13, 2011 03:37PM
Ah. So it begins ..... why me

You try to raise them right. One day they come home with a tattoo on their buttstock....
blush
October 13, 2011 08:12PM
Jerry what PSI were you using? Is your Yukon set up to get two balanced shots? Dory
October 14, 2011 12:10AM
Kent,

I sent you a PM.

Dory,

I'd rather not get into the numbers just yet as I've not had the chance to really do much testing besides the first few shots. I'll say that the fill was the same as I was using for the know accurate 575gr slugs so I did not go to silly pressures to push the heavier slug. I've not checked to verify level shots yet.
October 14, 2011 04:51AM
Thanks Jerry, back at ya!

Speaking of two level shots, the Grizzly was tuned as such by Gary, at my request. This pulled it down from its peak power on the first shot. Now the second shot is actually slightly faster than the first. I'll have to bump it back up for a test of anything heavier.

Kent
October 14, 2011 01:58PM
October 23, 2011 10:22AM
ok , with 850 in real life , and numbers looking crazier every day , have you worked out how to join the k club.

sooner or latter the 1000 ftlbe is going to creep in , so in the interest of the googley eyed amongst us , will it be
the k club.
just a thought, or the mille club , ,,,, sort of itallian
a mille high club.
October 23, 2011 03:38PM
Well, you know what happens the hour after I drop the "K" on you? Right ... the discussion turns to 1,250.

The barrier I'm interested in crossing is the one that gets all the guns I've made already, into the field ... with pics posted here. winking smiley That would be the one that generated the most fun for everybody - shooter and reader. thumbs up

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 03:50PM by barnespneumatic.
October 25, 2011 03:21AM
Hi Jerry, those are some nice looking slugs. I will be interested to see how they group and perform on game if you are intending to take them hunting. Just out of interest, what size do they drop from the mould at and how much are you sizing off them ? Danny.
October 25, 2011 04:07AM
Milestones are not always as they seem. We have an annual "Birthday Ride" here where the goal is to cycle your age in years. Now you can assume you would ride that number in miles but if not quite up to the challenge you can do it in kilometers. Personally I rode a century, metric that is. Like wise you could frame Jerry's 852 ft/lbs as 1155 Newton/meters. WOW 1155!!! I bet Jerry's shoulder feels even more sore now! BTW, the magic 1000 N/m is equal to a paltry 737 ft/lbs.whistling Gary left that number behind a couple of guns ago.bowing
October 25, 2011 09:23AM
we dont do retro ,,, its so yesterday , onwards and upwards ,,lol

i know , its only numbers.
but if they didnt mean anything no one would bother writing or even mesuring.
October 25, 2011 01:43PM
The problem from this side of the screen is that it's just reading entertainment. But it has consequences you may not think of. You provide a bit more in one gun, and you get mail wanting all orders to now shuffle to the new benchmark. Everything else becomes so ...... Yesterday as Tom says. Then, of course, you still should get about ten shots or a hundred would be better. Haha.

Gets to be a game for readers. When you get the guns to the range, you find that a 700 fpe gun is actually punishing to shoot. Yeah, I know the firearms make 5000 but something is different. Nobody sits down and shoots a seven or eight hundred fpe airgun all afternoon. Makes some serious noise and will pound you good. Then consider the lowly buffalo, grasshopper ... bowing -- Far East ... I used 600 fpe and shot straight thru a buffalo at 50 yards. Ribs going in. Ribs going out. That seems like a significant benchmark.

We would remember what they can do better, if we had more postings of them being used. Without that, then we are left with a numbers escalation.

Gary
October 25, 2011 03:09PM
Last thought.

Does anyone think that Detroit can not make a 1,200 HP V-8 engine? Why don't you think they put one in every car? Even every sportscar.

You just don't need blood and guts every time you turn the key. But, if you don't drive a 450 hp car, then it sounds pretty whimpy when you read about some featured hotrod that does NOT have a thousand hp under the hood. If you drive the 450 hp car, you find that it's a firebreather that will twist the car in half if you get into it.

It's about making a balanced product that will give great service and accuracy. Don't assume that a designer is always working on the ragged edge of what he is able to do.

Gary

Edited to clean up some of the glitches that get in when I post via iPhone. Go to expand a screen, and you often get whisked off to another place, cause you touched something else. The spell check is helpful many times, but when you are blazing along, and miss that it turned "Panzer Division" into Pumpkin Patch or some such ... you get wierd responces in mail and texts - hahah.

Now I'm here again, and keep thinking of comments. I know you might think I'm a grumpy old fuddy duddy (and you'd be right) ... but much of that is the result of not being able to develop the body of evidence that could have been displayed in scores of posts of my guns being used as designed. My Gosh, it's been since 96 and most of those guns sent out have just evaporated into the mists of time. There should have been hundreds and hundreds of posts of them in action. Instead, the attention is focused on awaiting the "next one". When will it be done? Will it be more extreme than the last? So; whatever I make is old news in a week, and few are seen again. You'd only understand the frustration if you'd built a few of these ... and then wondered what ever happened to them. By now, I figured I'd be having trouble scheduling around the events that had sprung up as a result of pushing the sport so hard for so long. Instead, I've had to join the AMC Pacer owner's club in order to find a really happenin' forum and meeting schedule! More coffee

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 04:20PM by barnespneumatic.
October 26, 2011 04:14AM
In case anyone was wondering: I was not intending to push an arms race here. I just thought that the educated readers here would appreciate the power that the 100% stock gun as delivered by gary would produce with a little more mass than the slugs you have seen drop trees.

There are upsides and downsides to all changes from the norm and I did not mean to inply that FPE is the ultimate factor, sorry if it seemed that way. Obviously, if the new slugs don't fly as good as the custom designed Barnes slugs, they wil;l have been nothing but a waste. If they fly well, they will be a success through luck as I sure didn't have anymore than a guess going when i ordered them..

The power is neat but Gary is right: You don't plink or shoot all day at this power with an airgun. I mentioned specifically during the last shoot how hard it is to shoot this gun well after a couple shots. It is difficult not to anticipate the recoil! Yes, I've shot a couple weapons that make a bit more power... The airgun recoil at this power level is different and significant. This is the gun that bounced an expensive, high eye relief scope off my head a couple times,,,even though i was "ready" for it! Personally, I think it's easier to shoot a big magnum PB than this gun. Not as rewarding, but easier.
Anonymous User
January 13, 2012 01:58AM
What is next, Elephant hunt.............
January 13, 2012 03:08PM
Jerry,

Since this came back to top again.

Did you ever shoot these out of your smooth bore .62 to see how they fit, and fly? Dory
January 13, 2012 10:56PM
Hi Dory,

No I've not tried these slugs in the smooth bore Woodsman. In fact it never even occured to me until now. I think 650-675gr slugs (even if I can size them right) are just past the point of diminishing returns. Besides, these slugs while working pretty well from a rifle are not designed at all to be aero stabalized like a good smooth bore slug.
January 14, 2012 01:10AM
Jerry,

I was just wondering if there was a surprise there. There not suppose to fly true from a smooth bore. Dory
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021