Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cocking mechanisms ...

Cocking mechanisms ...
February 20, 2013 01:22AM
My forced rest has yielded some good ideas regarding cocking mechanisms of large, powerful guns.

I have a couple of geared drive thoughts. This includes rack and pinion designs. It would be fun to do some as exposed features - in guns that fit in with the Bison Rendezvous Class of gun.

If I ONLY had a real beast of a gun on the ledger from some time ago ... Jim. For someone who claims to have "software arms". hahahah.

OK ... just some of the things behind the curtain.

Gary
Re: Cocking mechanisms ...
February 21, 2013 06:09PM
We need a smiley for "ears perked up." wink

Hey, I'm proud of my software arms. I worked hard to make them into what they are today! Weights

-- Jim
February 21, 2013 08:11PM
I hear ya Jim. I've worked hard for my "old man arms" too! take a bow

Still at it, in fact.

No matter. I've got levers and gears. I can get that beast easy to cock. Just need to get released from moving pergatory, and get on with work.

Got much of a trailer full of stuff qued up inside the shop roll up door. Been coooold and windy past teo days. Supposed to snow and sleet tomorrow. That will help. dig it. Snowman

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2013 08:15PM by barnespneumatic.
February 21, 2013 10:37PM
Nothing like cold crappy weather to brighten the mood and suck up 60 days of medication in a week it seems...
February 22, 2013 01:44AM
Hi Jerry,

You are correct! Boy - did I have a good three paragraphs typed too - before it was all lost! Ahhh!!!

Anyway - I'm ready to burn some hours - but the weather is brutal on an old guy. I finally got thru all the Dr.s appointments. The consultations. Pre-op proceedures. Altered meds. schedule. New prescriptions. Drop off's. Pick ups. Phone calls. Meeting couriers. Surgery Center proceedure day. I get all this done (all the while tearing down and packing stuff) - and the it's been 29 degrees with the wind whipping. Tonight is supposed to be sleet and snow - and tomorrow.

It's humerous - in a warped sort of way. Most conversations of the last 6 months have included this riff ....

1). wow Are you all finished with your move?

2). stunned You aren't!

3). what was that How much more do you have?

4). nowthatIthink Are you HALFway done?

5). hourglass When do you think you'll be done?

6). why me I'd just hire a truck!!!

thumbs up Gonna be great when I don't have to explain ... "why" .... anymore.

Hey - today ... I went up to what we jokingly call "the Condo". It's a storage garage with shop storage - things like metal working tools I haven't had room for. Older equipment. Bearings, pulleys, shafts, and other stuff. I went to retrieve several high pressure cyclinders for welding gas. These have to be "tested" every 3-5 years. My welding supplier FAILED FOUR!!! of my tanks in a row one year. About 7 years later now - I learned that the guy responsible is no longer there - he was doing it wrong. why me Yeah - THAT is what I told them at the time. When I was buying and renting new tanks to keep working. Well - they recently said they'd take a re-look at a couple of them. Always something when you are using tools. So; we'll see. I'll get back to you.

Anyway ... this is the stuff that I've been doing. All on the list. Not the sort of thing Mayflower Moving does. ;?)

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2013 02:48AM by barnespneumatic.
February 23, 2013 03:36AM
Just for clarification: that was all supposed to be funny. I don't talk to readers here - almost never. I met the folks who we run into that sold us our property. The couple that run the diners in Fla. The people back up here in Md. we see at businesses we deal with. The Doctor's staff ... etc., And - it's a natural thing to ask. I might be the only one who has ever moved this much stuff, for this long ... short of Hannibal crossing the Alps. But then - he had more people ... and elephants. I can see him running into a goat herder in Tibet ... "So; Hannibal ... have you finished your move yet?" laughing again And the elephants groan ... 'cause they've heard the explaination a hundred times ..... winking smiley
Anonymous User
February 23, 2013 09:47PM
I am still here and am glad to hear that you are still mobile and making it happen. I am sorry to hear about the harsh weather, and i am sure that you do not miss that great weather you are stuck in. Stay warm and healthy, and just imagine the day when you are done with this chapter in your life and making chips fly!!!!!!!
February 23, 2013 11:15PM
Thanks Don!
I do dream of that day. winking smiley
I'm on the way. Long road, but it has an end.
Thanks for reading and commenting Don.
Gary
February 24, 2013 03:30AM
Rack and pinion. Now that's a Great idea for us 'Older arm challenged people'. Sorry to hear about the weather. Hope it get's it all out of it's system before you head back, so you may have an easier drive back.
February 28, 2013 01:35AM
I guess you could just put a stirrup on the front like the old crossbows...Weights
February 28, 2013 01:55AM
Another idea! Yes - that WOULD be an excellent way to shoot your foot off! stunned
February 28, 2013 07:18PM
Hmmm...I can see where that might be considered a drawback...injured
February 28, 2013 10:56PM
Well, if you made the stock out of extra Black&Decker drill batteries, you could use the power to drive an old International Harvester truck's starter selenoid to cock the gun and also rotate the 6 shot magazine. idea

Hopefully Tesla "super chargers" will soon be installed close to dive shops so tanks and recharges could be had conveniently. Oh, is there a federal tax credit for a full electric airgun? laughing
March 01, 2013 12:12AM
We must wean ourselves off of using air in our airguns. We've become addicted to air. We need million dollar windmills charging Black and Decker drill batteries. Wait .... Generating a million dollars took a HUGH amount of energy! Doesn't that coun.... NO ... What was I thinking!!! We need FIFTY, million dollar windmills, charging Black and Decker drill batteries!!!! Then we convert our airguns to throw arrows with bent limbs. Yes, we can use the trigger mechanism - everything else will be scrapped!! Wait ... Doesn't it take huge energy to grind up and melt the salvaged materials .... NO!!! What was I thinking!!! knucklehead. We use the power from the Black and Decker Drill batteries!!!! BRILLIANT!!!!!!!! Anyway Jerry ... I HAVE the gear wheels for the project!!! Haha.
laughing
Gary
March 09, 2013 08:50PM
I think I've found the man behind the curtin with the new and upcomming ideas at Barnes Inc OZ division.

Fancy Steampunk blunderbuss

www.instructables.com/id/fancy-steampunk-blunderbuss-rifle/

Joe
March 10, 2013 12:38AM
Hello Joe ....

Ya think so? aa_unicycle.jpg

Steam Punk ya say? hahaha

b_Searching_Flashlight_Holmes.gif

I might have a few ideas around here ..... somewhere ....

hahaha

Thanks for the comment!

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021