Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Saturday, Schmatterday ....

Saturday, Schmatterday ....
June 09, 2013 01:32AM
Wait til you see what was laid on my plate today!

dig it

First - some dinner and a bit of rest. I'll post pics tonight or tomorrow. winking smiley

Was a FULL day.

Gary
Re: Saturday, Schmatterday ....
June 09, 2013 04:17AM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Why yes ... I am about to lift the round port's cap from the septic tank ... Which I excavated Saturday morning. Started with this one - problem was under the OTHER one. Surprise. hahaha. And - I'm clueless as to why the cap requiring maintenance periodically, is burried a foot down anyway. Odd. No indication of where it was in the yard. I had to hunt for it. fudd This is an area I'm reworking the lay of the ground. So it's just bare scraped clay now. Lovely really. whistling There's a terrace on the level of the house. The yard slopes to the woods. But there was errosion damage at one time. Here and there - a load of tractor therapy from Red's Haul'n arrives.

I've been a bit frayed around the edges. It's been a Loooong road home. I had three major things on my mind this morning. Couldn't decide. I could only really find enthusiasm for one of them. But my personality feels that I SHOULD be doing the one I hate the most. And so I began. Outfitting the tractor meant taking off the trenching bar I'd made. Replacing that with the bucket forks. Laying a real heavy sheet of plywood across them to make a platform. And I resumed the unloading of the trailer. Gee - why hate that? Because the sight of just one more box threatens my feeble grip with sanity. winking smiley

Well, about twenty minutes into the job, I had to take a platform of items up to the house. Exiting the house - I noticed a faint fragrance. Hummm. Kelly came out for a box - I asked if she noticed it. No - it was gone. Couple more trips - it was back. I go to the area of the septic tank, with a heavy heart. I see water bubbling through the ground. It was NOT a Jed Clampett moment.

More in a bit ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2013 05:50AM by barnespneumatic.
June 09, 2013 05:02AM
Well, that was traced to an issue with the grey water - and a filter where that water exits the box on it's trip waaaay down to the drain field.

Along the route, about every 50 feet, there is a clean out/observation cap. After cleaning the filter, I checked several of those observation caps. Just a proper trickle of grey water. I got to the fourth one.

It had been pushed askew when I'd built up the woods path for the tractor. Leaned some. This one is deep since the ground rises and then falls again after this. I looked down the cap shaft and saw a buckle. Not good, but maybe I can relieve the pressure and it will spring back.

I must AGAIN reconfigure the tractor. I made a trenching bar with a root knife and chisel end. Never thought I'd use it so much so soon!

I start digging.

It works great. I cut roots and losen solid down about 30". I dredge out the debris, and then have to clean with trenching shovel and post hole digger. When I get down around the stand pipe, I find its loose - cracked around the tee joint on the main line. Great.

I can't reach that deep. It's about 4' down. I have to trench more. So I surrounded the pipe with a heavy building tube, and trenches both sides to step down to that depth. I mean, I ran out of shovel and post hole digger handles for any leverage.

So; I stepped down and widened the trench. I was sooo happy! I was singing the whole time. singing
June 09, 2013 05:21AM
Kelly helped me all day. She was a trooper. It kept her busy carrying me water and dry tee shirts.

On one run, she returned to the site ...

It's along a long driveway, so she noticed I'd gone somewhere - probably to hunt something. As she came down the lane, she looked down around the lower buildings to see if she saw me. Nope. She got within about eight feet of the site, before she realized that I was hunched over down on the trench! Haha. boing. Surprise!!!

AND - I was on a step - NOT on the bottom of the trench. I was using these loong arms for good reach.

Well, I got the rascal out.

And we got the new parts installed. No - of course we were ONE fitting short and had to clean up and go to Lowes. Rush back to get this hooked up before dark.

Kelly is surrounded with just a few of the things you would need to do this project at your own home. A list can be obtained should you wish to inquire. Remember - there is no more important safety tip, then to wear these - safety glasses.

It has been a truly wonderful day here at the homestead. When I cannot decide on a project for the day, I'm often given one. Hey, how many Saturday contractors did You count in our story? laughing

Gary
June 09, 2013 05:37AM
I only quickly sprayed part of the trenching bar orange. Just the part that was sticking out from the tractor. So that I wouldn't walk into it's root knife and chisel end as easily. stunned chainsaw injured

In the pics - the knife is in the ground. A wavy blade serrated affair - nasty. Killer on roots - for sure.

Just figured you sharp eye readers would wonder if I was saving paint or something. And - I didn't want to spray it while on the bucket. That thing must be powder coated - the orange Kubota bucket paint is tough as nails.

Gary
June 09, 2013 08:21AM
Note to self...do NOT run over septic field standpipes with heavy equipment. Hope it's not too late...frown

BTW, those caps on the vertical pipes (the ones that always get hit by the mower) can save your bacon. The former owner of my place let one go too long after it was lost or damaged. Having two daughters who both played softball, OF COURSE one ended up rolling right into that particular pipe. It looks like it's about two feet down, a tight fit. Still not sure how to get it out without making it worse, and I sure don't want to be doing the "Saturday contractor" special a-la Gary routine.

Makes one long for a city sewer connection, even if they DO always overcharge for the service.
June 09, 2013 11:53PM
Hi Sean,

Actually - it's hard to be "over charged" if SOMEONE ELSE maintains something. thumbs up (That from a guy that does most things - but just because I accidently learned how and foolishly bought the tools - and I live on a workman's salary).

I'd consider an aircraft length drill bit for your soft ball. Once you drill about half way into it - it will probably fuse to the bit. That does present the risk of having a stuck drillbit - but there is always "Reverse" on most drills.

Or - you can wait until some neighbor rents a track hoe .... hahaha. whistling

Gary
June 09, 2013 12:20PM
So what did you do the other half of the day? Hehe That knife attachment was and is a great time saver! Isn't it great having xtra steel laying around. All you have to do is cut away everything that's not the knife. And then have it mounted on to some kind of attachment no big deal haha .Don't forget you got those three point hitch on the back makes a really quick release attaching device all you have to do is back up and pin it plus its easier to see without the bucket in .your way .The only downfall to that is your in a very awkward position twisted backwards looking all the time .Do you ever wonder how you got by without that tractor up in Mary land ? I had similar issues with my drains when the flooding came .Under the house filled out completely with water and my drain pipes which were just laying on top of the ground floated up cracking all the joints cause then nothing but a big flotation device when submerged underwater .But at least you got to use your tractor and found it pretty quick .Keep your chin up sounds a little easier than all the time at work you did up at Maryland farm!!!

Thanks
Kurt
June 09, 2013 04:29PM
Hi Kurt,

We'll see what's next. Monsoon rains today!!! Just rivers of water. Does nature EVER take a day off from destroying everything man builds? Don't think so.

Well, the good thing is- I did put my stubber saw under roof. Course rain has probably swept thru there ...

The trencher is about 5 inch angle iron. The knife is truck leaf spring welded on the apex of the angle and sharpened in a wavy serrated edge. It sticks down below the foot of the angle about 6" and is sharpened to a chisel blade - serrated again. VERY handy so far. It can move all across the bucket - drawn up with a load binder. So the tractor tracks can fit the trench situation.

Yeah, since my bumm back isn't muck on spinning around and my neck is full of titanium, I don't see a big future for the 3 point hitch. Unless I move the seat and controls to swivel round backwards. The bucket controls work great. I can see just fine. I could use that trencher to open your wallet - take a fiver out - put your wallet back and you'd never know it! what was that Haha.

Hope you are working through that mess the flood left you. I'm sorry you had all that. You could have been making those beautiful tied flies!

Gary.
June 09, 2013 05:57PM
Gary,

I recall a septic tank access being buried under a foot of soil at an old apartment, must be a code.

Unless you want to save the softball, use a rod with a screw on the end like a roundball puller to remove the softball.

Lon
June 09, 2013 09:23PM
Great fun AGAIN today.

It started pounding down rain very early this morning. Monsoon rains. And it hasn't stopped yet.

Of course, I didn't get everything back filled last night. I was beat, and it got dark.

Well ........,

The trenches all fill up with ground water. The septic tank then had a foot of groundwater standing atop it. Groundwater seeps in and fills the tank. Backs up the system. Lovely.

And so, I don hat and jacket and mount my trusty Kobota! Slash! Swoosh!! Pow!!! I trench to the intake side, exit side, and middle pit. To release the groundwater atop and from the ditches. The rain simply will not stop. Of course, the ditches want to cave in.

I had to pull both caps again to correct flow. Ya know - I wonder if this airgun thing is over rated. I'm pretty good with the tractor and septic system. Hummm.

When I got done - I just hosed the sand and mud off me. Coat, jeans, shoes - the whole thing. Was already soaked through. winking smiley.

So. What did you do this Sunday morning? Haha.

Gary
June 10, 2013 01:47AM
Man, that is a sweet little attachment got to get one of those for my tractor or trackhoe, or both. I see you are keeping the propriatary blade and mounting details hidden, smart. There are lots of times that a three foot wide bucket is just too big. If you make that tractor any more handy, Kelly may find a use for it in the house!"festive"

Sorry the pipes are giving you problems. That's one issue you can't put off until " the time is right". That weather passed thru here and I thought it dumped all on us. Washed all the grass seed into the branch. Glad it didn't float your septic like Kurts pipes.

Kent
June 10, 2013 03:57AM
Hi Kent,

Isn't it always the way? You are too pressed for time to know which of two or three important things to do ..... BUT ... you have two days to toss everything at a new disaster. why me

Yeah - the trencher is another one of those situations where I need a contract with a manufacturer. This thing it a killer tool. It works just sooooo well. You think I should go on the Shark Tank and give them 110% of the business? nowthatIthink

Bummer your grass seed got washed out. If you have a bunch of extra time ... whistling ... punch holes an inch and a half deep before you seed. Rake seed around with a spring tooth rake and much of it will find it's ways into the holes. That won't wash out - gives deep roots too. In Md. and here at BPS, where I've used that technique the grass took well and hangs on through heat since the roots are deeper. Looks like hair plugs - but it will eventually thicken. winking smiley

Gary
June 10, 2013 04:23AM

This is a screen shot of the first frame of a video I took after trenching this am, to release all the standing ground water from atop the septic tank. Biblical proportions of rain early this morning, caught me with my trenches open from yesterday's work.

In answer to the questions - I'd rather be in the shop working on airguns. thumbs up

While this looks like a video - it's just a screen shot.

Gary
June 10, 2013 01:33PM
Yes, the hole plan should work well. I think I have an old screwdriver here that should work.more innocent How 'bout I rig some shoes with spikes (I think they do sell these) and stamp around. In reality, what i usually do is run the dozer around and this leaves linear cleat prints which does a similar duty with the seed. It leaves streaks of grass instead of plugs. Only problem is the turf tearing on existing grass, oops... I tried to cheat and got caught.

BTW, I hope you've got it covered now, It poured all night here, heading your way!

Kent
June 10, 2013 02:15PM
Hi Kent,

Well, ah .... there is that detail of not compressing your dirt into concrete before seeding. Haha. But I guess you could just "lightly" run over the area with the bulldozer. laughing

You could always try the new "carbide tipped" grass seed. Haha. Or plant bamboo! That grows best in blacktop. nowthatIthink

Gary
June 10, 2013 04:10PM

Thks. Got it covered as the thunder rolled.

Gary
June 11, 2013 10:29PM
Looks like Dave is the "big crappy jobs guy" too. Amazing that you had just made the right tool for the job!
June 12, 2013 04:44AM
Hi Jerry,

That was a stroke of luck - to have just made that tool! Weird. I guess IF you are gonna have to spend two days on such a project - having the tools to a good place to start.

Now - I'm real tired. It's been a long slog. But - the reference to DAVE has totally gone over my head ... stunned .... enlighten please. And I'm sure I'll look silly - but I can take it.... hahaha.

Gary
June 13, 2013 11:19PM
I thought Dave was that guy in the commercial that had all the jobs in his company... Like you do.

All the same, you may have some clairvoyant skills!
June 14, 2013 04:23AM
DAVE!!! That Dave .... YES!!! I get it. Good point. I'm waaay too tired Jerry.

However; on the way up the road (Oh - Hello from BPN Jerry) ... on the way up - I was listening to a book tape. In the book - they referenced a "new" pneumatically operated underwater gatling gun for a state above and beyond the art. That prompted me to comment to Kelly "HAH!!! THAT is what they wanted me to develop for them - for NOTHING!!!!" I'd been contacted quite a few years ago - by a company that referenced Dept. of the Navy. Now - WERE they such - or did they HOPE to deal with such. BUT - they definitely didn't want to spend any money. Just hoped I was dumb enough to spill some ideas.

Anyway ... a few minutes after commenting to Kelly - I realized that I was no longer listening to the tape ... HOWEVER!!!; I had developed a triggering system for such a gun in my head. Something I'd never thought of before - at least to this degree or with this twist! HAH!!! The brain IS STILL ALIVE somewhere under the boxes. I had feared the worse.

Any encouragement is welcome. As I answer the mails asking me "just when I plan to be fully operational in Florida" ... I seek for signs of life between my ears. It's great to have spontaneous ideas occasionally - even during "The Great Suppression of 2012/13" as history may record for BPN/S.

smileys with beer

Gary
June 18, 2013 07:21AM
In future histories of Barnes Pneumatic this period shall be known as "the dark ages", when storms, moving and other tribulations were heaped upon the populace by random chance and cruel fate.

Followed eventually by the phase known as "the iced-beverage period", a time of great rejoicing. smileys with beer
June 18, 2013 02:01PM
These are troubling times in the Kingdom, fair Knight. Yet foresooth ... "It's 5 0'clock somewhere".
June 18, 2013 05:52PM
Verily!

One demonstrable benefit of the internet's 24 hour time zone.typing
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021