Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What's up with the Gun Room?

What's up with the Gun Room?
November 02, 2011 07:29PM
After the big intro., it might seem that things didn't work out. Actually ... far from it.

If you have waited until the guns got their final finish and were cataloged there ... it didn't work out that way. The three guns that have neared completion (among the normal work of ledger guns) were sold on the Reverse Ledger program, and/or arrangements made well before reaching the Gun Room.

When something is identified and begins field testing, I begin getting inquiries about that pc. From my point of view, there's nothing to gain in stalling the sale and insisting that it must be cataloged on the Gun Room first.

The 32 Magnum with carved stock was sold thus.

The HAWG 62/25 was sold thus.

The 58 Yukon Orion was sold as well.

There will be others which I discussed in early posts. Some were part of that group modeled off of the Orion Class that I discussed. Some are being finished from NOS (new old stock) such as guns that were started for shows, or for customers; and never completed as the show dates came and went, or customers switched around their orders. There are a number of those in the shop that would finish as excellent guns.

Didn't want confusion to exist regarding the program. It seems to have pretty universal approval. Obviously, I can't work on this much ... just enough to keep the lights on, etc.

I'm still asked about taking orders. I don't take those at this time. One of the reasons is that it takes a tremendous amount of time to sort thru the differences between an initial idea, and a realistic project with all the details nailed down. Often, those details shift around quite a bit as the customer learns different points of information. Might sound bad, but I'd rather make up what I know will be an excellent project, and then offer if for sale. The point is for me to be able to generate cash flow in a manner that least disrupts my work on the ledger obligations. I figure, by now, I've at least earned that small right to know best how I might make a completed pc. which will best do a particular job, and best represent the Barnes Pneumatic body of work. It is very stressful to have to be the big bad wolf when some good person comes to me, all excited, and has a idea which I am unable to realistically produce. Might take weeks of mails, back and forth, where it seems like I'm telling them that their ideas are all wrong, and seem to be trying to steer them in a different direction. In reality, I'm telling them what I have learned, and what I can make. Of course, I don't get a dime for dozens of hours spent going thru this long process and looking up links, sending pics, teaching various subjects, and trying to be helpful. In the end, it may or may not result in a happy customer, but it has not machined one part.

So; for the curent time and foreseeable future, I'm not accepting orders. I will occasionally complete a fine Barnes PCP for the Gun Room. The time to show interest is when I make reference to something that is being completed for the Gun Room or Reverse Ledger Program. Once again, I regret that everything isn't all cleared, on track, in the field, all big smiles. I'm doing all I can. I can't swap out a Gun Room pc. for a ledger order. I must have a cash flow. The vastly increased normal expenses and my health expenses have to be kept current. I keep it to the needs. And I spend the remaining time on the ledger and obligations.

Hope something here helped with a question you may have had.

Sincerely,
Gary
Re: What's up with the Gun Room?
November 03, 2011 03:43AM
got any little items coming to Gary's Gun Room? May need some unique Xmas gifts. Darn....some lucky fella already got the Hawg? just loved that one! Oh.... any updated pics of that fine 32 mag?
Re: What's up with the Gun Room?
November 03, 2011 02:18PM
Hi Steve,

Yeah ... that is possible. Might have something up my sleeve for small gifts.

;?)

GAry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021