Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Present Day History - For Sale!

Present Day History - For Sale!
July 24, 2014 01:16AM
image.jpg

Each of these Barnes Whimsical Hand Forged Letter Openers were made at BPN in 1991. Each one now has a "desk sheath" made of seasoned Live Oak, and those were made at BPS in 2014. I cut, split, and laid back to dry - branches and saplings - for projects. I knew nobody would want the letter opener just lying around without a cover. So; we have one of those small twists of history that I enjoy. Old joins new - completes the story.

image.jpg

These are just made to make you smile. Who needs one? Nobody. In my humble opinion, our style of living is robbing us of quite a few small smiles which used to be built in. Let me name a few "personal items" which we used to carry daily. They gave us a chance to make small personal statements. Make small choices. Own small items to gift to the next generation. Gave opportunity to look forward to receiving an item, or purchasing an item. Here goes: do you carry a special Pen that you use daily? Do you wear a watch? I know that you don't carry a pocket watch. How about a pill case? Special eye glass case? Business card case? Pinky ring? Identification Bracelet? Cigarette Case. Coin purse? Pocket ledger? Pocket Knife!?? surprised. At your desk ... Do you even have a letter opener? Magnifying glass? Etc., etc .... Each one of these things used to be available in infinite variety. When you pulled it from your pocket - you showed a flash of personality. Now, what do you have .... a different color black rubberized case on your smart phone? eye rolling smiley

Ok ... I know ... It's not 1910. But ... Did you have any twinge at all, as you read the list? Does your iPhone really give you every one of the same digitized warm fuzzy hugs? winking smiley. "... yes Son - this really was your great grandfather's iPhone 4 ... It was given to me when I was 43 ... and now I want you to have it. It was made in China, along with six billion direct copies. Come to think of it ... this one might have been Great Aunt Minnie's .... well .... no matter .... just toss it in the back of your sock drawer .... I did ..."

And so ... Actually none of the things I make ... from Airguns, to Pocket Knives, to Small Cases ... Nobody needs any of them, at all! But they take a lot of skill to make. And they enrich our experiences when we hold, examine, and use them. Opening and closing a pocketknife with a crisp mechanism is good therapy. The click of an Expedition Case's catch, is worth the price of admission. So ... I'll post some pics and prices soon.

Enjoy. Thanks for reading, and your support, while I try to make things for you to enjoy. winking smiley (Please forgive the smartphone typos ... I do 99% of my forum work with my phone ... right ... mine has an Oak Case ... Leather straps ... brass buckles. Canvas bag .... and I carry a camp stool to sit on when I do the forum work .... whistling

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2014 05:53AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Present Day History - For Sale!
July 24, 2014 03:20AM
Gary,

Your craftsmanship always amazes me!

Scott
July 24, 2014 04:52AM
Note: all blades are made as letter openers. They are fairly sharp. They were intentionally made so as to do their job without being overly dangerous.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Forged 1018 Steel. Forge Bronzed. Desk Sheath is seasoned Live Oak. It's milled internally to accept the blade. The blade gorging is marked "91" and has the cut Logo of the Ornate B with a dagger thru it. $395us

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Forged steel. Split, inset, riveted Stainless Steel Barnes Letter Opener blade. Carries the Maryland HANDCRAFTED stamp. Sheath is marked as shown in the third pic of another letter opener.

Forge Bronzed, Cage twist wrapped blue marble ... $395us
NOTE: TWO PENDING SALES ON THIS PIECE AT PRESENT.

Edit - NOW SOLD - Thank you very much. We appreciate it! Gary

image.jpg

image.jpg

Two complete twisted wraps on horn length. Forged 1018 steel. Forge Bronzed with hot wax finish (as all of them). Blade is SS Letter Opener blade with Maryland Stamp. Live Oak Desk Sheath from BPS. $395us

Everything should ship in the approx $8 USPS Priority Mail hard box.

Gary
July 24, 2014 05:11AM
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hand Forged 1018 Steel. Inset Barnes SS Letter Opener blade. Forge Bronzed and hot waxed. Maryland Logo. Marked "91". Live Oak Desk Sheath marked BPS.
$395us.

take a bow

Gary
July 24, 2014 06:11AM
The Live Oak Sheaths have the bark on. They were cut about a year ago. Sawn and laid up to dry. The interior is milled to blade shape. Then there is extra clearance for the twisted shank of the tool. The sheath is epoxied back together. The joint is left dark and blends pretty well with the bark. One sheath has a running primitive scroll on both seams. The bottom has been carved with "Barnes and BPS". Then sanded from 60 grit thru 220 grit ... beveled ... and lacquered for a couple of coats - bark and all.

The natural bark, with the yellow lacquered ends showing distinct OAK grain, makes a neat contrast. The section of Oak is left to it's natural exterior shape. I like it with the forged work and the forge bronze finish. That bronze is melted into the surface of the steel. It's not a paint - it's a molecular transfer. After the process, while the steel is still hot .... at a certain point ... paste wax is melted all over and thru the forged pc. This protects it more or less permanently.

You'd be surprised how many steps, tools, and just how much work goes into making something look like it took no time at all! haha.

Gary
July 24, 2014 08:17PM
I like that bronze finish, is it sort of like brazing, but covering a wide area instead of just a joining point?
July 24, 2014 08:34PM
Hi Sean. No - not that high a heat.

Ah - remember too - bowing -- Far East - the point is not to disclose the "how to" of all Gary has learned and now trying to sell - bowing -- Far East - (I do not see a Grasshopper Smilie). The purpose is for the Wise Man to say - "it is here today! Let us purchase it so that Gary can work late - with lights on ... scholar

grinning smiley
July 26, 2014 11:05PM
True, true. No point in waiting for the "how-to" portion of the forum to open up, since the sub-title of the main entry would be "how-to put Gary out of work".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 2
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021