Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chatter

Chatter
September 08, 2014 04:40AM
Had a nice Sunday. We went to see our Son's family. Church. Family meal. Some rest. It was very nice.

The normal stuff goes on. On Labor Day - the family came up here. Very nice day. Our grandson brought a buddy his age. As the day began, the visitor was attacked by a swarm of bees. Stung up pretty good. My Son and I swatted bees off the boy. He was rolling on the ground (boy scout training) and my Son got stung several times. I did not.
We didnt know if he was allergic. Couldn't reach his parents because - at that very time .... Mom sews - and had just put the sewing machine needle through her fingernail and finger - then broken it off. Turned out the boy was not allergic. But then he was monitored nearly to death by everyone asking if he were OK. About a 10 yr old being asked 138 times if he were ok inside 20 min is stressful enough. We treated with lidocaine spray.

Well - yesterday we are notified that our Son-in-law was on the way to the hospital with our daughter. She'd fallen in the laundry room and hit her head badly. Was in and out of consciousness. In route to a base hospital. Next few hours were texts and waiting and prayers. We all got a pic of our daughter - out cold - in a neck brace. That didnt help. Eventually we got the result - concussion - no permanent damage.

So; as I say ... Things remain pretty normal. winking smiley

I'm actually enjoying the variety of work. Will get more pics out this week. Might ship more. Will show you more OUTRIDER 50 parts this week.

Would enjoy your conversation. Please don't let me talk to myself.

Hey - anybody know the conversion between an approx 3 1/2 HP gas engine and an electric motor running the same pump? I just suspect an electric rated far less would do the job. I have this rolling mill I built 34 years ago. I used a small log splitter to power it. I was sourcing parts on my head when it dawned!!! Hey - I'm building a log splitter. Well - it works but I don't have a chimney yet for exhaust. And the engine needs to be freshened. I thought I
Might just convert it. Knowledge? Don't make me have to go to the gutter ... Haha.

Thks for reading. Hang in there. Converse please. It's cheaper then therapy. laughing

Gary
Anonymous User
Re: Chatter
September 08, 2014 09:04PM
Great to by here everyone is ok. I do not have any opinion on the motor issue.
September 09, 2014 12:09AM
Hi Don.

We are good. Thank you. Appreciate your hello.

Gary
September 08, 2014 09:49PM
Gary,

I'm not sure if I ever want to visit you what was that
I'm glad everyone is recovering!

Don't they rate electric motors in HP also?

Scott
September 09, 2014 12:16AM
Ah common Scott! Ya see - there it is ..., it isn't my fault! Hahaaaahh. Gee whiz ... a guy has 60 years of bad luck - and right away - he gets labeled! why me

Re motors. Yes, both are rated in HP. But an electric motor has constant torque. An internal combustion engine has a 2 or 4 stroke cycle. Definitely takes less rated electric HP to do the work of a gas engine of higher HP rating. My research since asking this says roughly a 3 HP electric replaces a 5 HP gas engine. Anybody else?

Gary
September 09, 2014 03:03AM
Hope all injured parties are recovering. Some serious injuries sustained.

Look forward to the pictures.

-Mike
September 09, 2014 04:26AM
Hi Mike,

Thanks, Everybody is OK.

Things are normal ... inmate Help! chainsaw injured LOL!

A few steps back this evening. I'll recover tomorrow. Maybe get some pics. Trying to include as many folks and projects as possible. Got things in groups or parts on every flat surface. Must get another round complete. It's not that I don't ever consider the idea of actually completing something .... it's that each project has hundreds of steps before the last one. Even the smaller projects.

I need longer days. Working on that too.,

Thanks for everything,
Gary
September 09, 2014 03:47PM
Converting kilowatts to horsepower is pretty simple, it's about 1.34 to one. So ignoring any difference in required torque or peak load, a 4kw motor should be able to replace a 5hp engine. So about two-three toasters worth, give or take. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2014 03:50PM by rotorhead.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021