Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1st Edition Print

1st Edition Print
November 24, 2014 11:23PM
image.jpg

Progress. This Roller Engraved Image is in brass. The first days of this fie's life span.

Gary
Re: 1st Edition Print
November 25, 2014 05:04AM
Nice. The car reminds me of an old Cord roadster.
November 25, 2014 03:37PM
It's definitely Super Charged, Rotor. thumbs up

The front reminds me of an old Mercedes. Cord or Mercedes ... I need to show that guy the finest Barlow I've ever made! If he likes Green ... that would be helpful! winking smiley

Gary
November 25, 2014 06:42PM
This is the sort of car I was thinking of.

[cdn.luxedb.com]

Classic old speedster, state of the art at the time, sadly long since gone.
November 25, 2014 07:34PM
Yeah. I knew what you meant. Alburn Boat Tailed Speedster. They made it in a Supercharged version. Remember - Pierce Brosnan drove one in Remington Steele.

Love them.

Remember - the Cords were front wheel drive! Same co. as Deusenburg. Alas ... I must drive our Kia Soul, with my eyes closed ... NO! ... Perhaps just a paper bag over my head. With eye holes .... of course! Don't be silly. boing

Gary
November 27, 2014 05:34PM
I had no idea front-wheel drive cars were made back in the 30's, learn something new every day. smiling smiley A quick peruse of wikipedia also states that they had inboard brakes too. I once owned an Audi with inboard discs up front, and while they're great in theory, they're a genuine PITA to work on compared to the regular ones.
November 28, 2014 12:36AM
Yes - everything has been done before. "The only thing new is the history we've forgotten". thumbs up

The Jaguar XKE had inboard discs in the rear. That was such a complex looking independent rig, that hot rodders used to chrome them and use them on big builds.

Good fun,

Gary
November 28, 2014 07:04PM
I've seen that in several hot-rod magazines, it sure is pretty with all those chromed struts and brackets under there. With that said however, if I have to change the brake pads myself or I'm the one paying to get it done, I'll take conventional outboard brakes every time!

And you've got a point there with the "forgotten history" quote. The more you learn about automotive history, the more you realize how clever and inventive the engineers have been over the years. With the exception of electronics (which hadn't been invented yet) there really isn't much "new" in the automotive world, only new applications. Direct injection, overhead valves, superchargers, all-wheel-drive, they've all been done before by someone, somewhere, if you just look hard enough.
November 29, 2014 02:56PM
I knew a guy that had a 3 cylinder 2 cycle front wheel drive Saab w/manual shift on the column. Strange car: built in the late 60s IIRC.

Lon
November 29, 2014 03:42PM
You are correct Lon. A girl in college had one. I drove it once. 4 spd. on the column. Odd looking duck parked among American cars from the era.

Gary
November 29, 2014 07:31PM
The Saab Sonetts, still a surprising number of them surviving from the era, fiberglass bodies hold up better to the rust. Later models had V-4 engines in the four-stroke versions since the old 2-strokes couldn't pass the emissions testing as it got stricter. They've got one of the V-4s in the high school auto shop up where I used to live, I think they're still used as industrial engines. Definitely a unique looking car, the whole thing is probably less than three feet tall, it's got to be like sitting in a go-cart to drive one.
November 29, 2014 08:57PM
Yeah - those were the sports car versions. Needle nose things. The Sedans were more typical Saab - bulbous nose.

thumbs up
December 01, 2014 01:30AM
Hey, maybe there's an idea. In your voluminous free time, you can start carving up some dies featuring portraits of various hi-$$$ classic cars, and then sell the cases at hoidy-toidy concours events like Monterey and such. Since most of the guys that own the six-figure classics seem to be of "a certain age", they ought to appreciate a nice pill case with an engraving of their "baby" on it.
November 27, 2014 09:55PM
Looks great! You make quite the impression smiling smiley

Pedro
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021