Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Knife getting good use

Sal
Knife getting good use
December 11, 2014 07:26PM
Just wanted to post some pics of the knife I received a few months ago. It spends most of the time in my pocket, unless I'm headed to the airport (don't want those TSA guys to end up with it!). I was in the attic a few weeks ago and thought I'd lost it while performing my acrobatics. Experienced a few moments of panic before I realized I had the good sense to leave it in downstairs.

I use it a ton and was wondering the best way to sharpen it. I have a nice ceramic stone, wondering if that would do the trick.

Here is a pic before polishing, that little bit of sweat on my hands sure does soil it up.
image.jpg
Here is another pic of it after using a silver polishing cloth from the wife's jewelry case, sssshhhhhh don't say anything.
image.jpg
And another of some damage after I dropped it, BAD SAL!
image.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2014 07:29PM by Sal.
Re: Knife getting good use
December 11, 2014 09:41PM
Hi Sal,

Now you can relax and not worry about getting a mark on it. winking smiley

Your stone may work fine, if you have experience with it. Personally, I like to use Wet Or Dry paper, about 600 grit. I use a flat strap of wood - like a strip of Lauan 1/4" Plywood - a bit wider then a yard stick. I use double stick carpet tape (hardware stores, Lowes, Walmart, some grocery stores). Laminate a strip of paper to a strip of wood with the tape. The tape gives just a tad bit of cushion.

Drag the edge backwards a few strokes. Done. Careful - sharp!

I use these methods as they remove the least amount of steel. Only takes so very very little bit to sharpen. No point in wasting the steel.

Hope it works. Thanks for posting! So glad to see something being enjoyed and used. take a bow

Gary
Sal
December 11, 2014 10:24PM
So true about the mark Gary. I get the same feeling with a new car, hate that first grocery cart scratch/dent.
That's a great idea, I'll try that out and make a sharpening stick. I happen to have some Lauan and some 600 grit sandpaper, whoot!

By the way, I have no idea how I went without a pocket knife in the past. I think my teeth and keys got a workout they should not have been doing.

Thanks!
Sal
December 12, 2014 12:19AM
All done, works just fine. Had a little too much space on the right side so I couldn't reach the last 3mm of the bolster side of the blade so I had to sand it down a bit.
Simple and best of all free!
image.jpg
December 12, 2014 12:57AM
Excellent Sal! Glad it worked for ya. winking smiley

Make up some with finer grit sticks too. Often a 1,200 grit is enough.

Enjoy! thumbs up

Gary
December 12, 2014 07:30PM
BTW - a few drops of WD40 or a quick blast/rinse with WD40 cleans and makes it cut longer. A stick like that will last all year!

thumbs up

Gary
December 13, 2014 05:51AM
Sal,

I do so much on my phone ... I just saw your knife pics on the laptop for the first time. Those are great looking pics! Hey - I hope it wasn't you that carved all those scratches into that wooden box lid you used as a back drop! Bad Sal again. smoking smiley A Rebel if there ever was one ... heheh.

Gary
Sal
December 14, 2014 03:09AM
Thanks Gary, I'm using the same app you are I think, Resizer. Easy enough to use. As with all digital cameras, iPhone in my case, more light equals more detail. The backdrop is my dining room table, kids took care of all the "aging" LOL.
December 12, 2014 06:35PM
On a new car, the first parking-lot dent is sort of a right of passage, inevitable. On a pocket knife, it just adds "character". winking smiley
December 13, 2014 04:45PM
Hey Sal
Bummer about dropping your knife . I had a miss hap with mine the other day to but was scared to ask Gary about it but I'm sure he's glad were are using them after all , that's what they are FOR ! So I did get a great Alloy #1 knife with a sheath . Aluminum body , Damascus blade , model 97 with samba inserts . I very seldom wear a belt any more but still need a knife on my person so I don't use sheath . I have a dedicated pocket that ONLY my knife goes in . The other day after rolling around on ground I reached into my pocket and there were 2 things in there . One was knife and the other piece had to be scratching my knife . ( thought maybe it was change ) When I emptied out my pocket my antler insert came out with out knife attached .So I had the super glue out but thought well .... Maybe that not what I should use .
Anybody out there got a suggestion ?
image.jpg
December 13, 2014 08:20PM
Couple of 1/4" Lag bolts would probably hold it Kurt ... First thing to come to mind ... whistling

If that doesn't work ... Ya might just scrape the residue of old superglue off the inner pocket in the aluminum and off the back of the antler. Put a drop of superglue each end down in the pocket, as you found the residue. Pop the stag back in.

Stag is a natural material. It moves with heat and cold. Can pop loose. I could have put some small machine screws in there, but liked it clean looking

Not using the sheath! Why - I went for five months without one until I could make myself another. why me. Haha. We accept unused returns .... laughing again

Glad you enjoy the knife!

Gary
Sal
December 14, 2014 03:16AM
Oh man that stinks Kurt!! I might have trouble using something that nice as a daily knife.
December 14, 2014 09:21PM
I'm gonna refer to Garys expertise on this one of course, but if the super glue keeps popping out you might want to try a bonding agent that's got a bit of flexibility, since super glue has none at all. Perhaps a little bitty dab of clear, elastomeric roofing sealant might do the trick. It's made to seal metal flashings and metal roofing panels, and I've only seen it available in caulking tubes. It's by far the most durable and flexible bonding agent I've ever worked with, and it holds up really well against movement in varying temperatures. Another similar glue/sealant/goo that I've had good luck with is "shoe-goo", available in ~4 oz. squeeze tubes, made to repair the rubber parts of sneakers and boots and such. That stuff will seal and repair a rubber boot where nothing else will even stick, and it lasts like nobodies business. It does turn darker with age, but if it's hidden that doesn't matter.

Just my $.02
December 14, 2014 09:47PM
I understand your tips. They are valid.

I just add this prologue:

There are times that I use exopy and/or superglue - exactly because you "can" pop them free without ruining the base or bonded agent. 200 degrees F will break epoxy. Never reaches that in regular use - but you could break a wood/steel bond without ruining the wood or steel finish. On a knife such as this - I have found desire to change out the inserts. Such as now, on my knife. I've had blue bone in there, and wish to change to stag. On the model 97 inserts - they are uniform. I can remove the bone scales and keep them. If you note on Kurt's knife - two 1/16th holes. A punch in the back with the knife disassembled - punch - handle pops out. If you want better bond - use three drops. On my knives - (meaning made for me) I intentionally under glue them. Kurt had the misfortune of buying my knife! Haha.

Gary
December 15, 2014 07:06PM
I was wondering about the holes, makes sense now.

And honestly Gary, it's probably a good thing you don't work on cars too, or somebody would probably have talked you out of your old truck. You'd be loading steel in the back of Kellys hatchback, and pulling the trailer with the Kubota. winking smiley
December 15, 2014 07:46PM
I love shoe goo and especially marine goo too . I do understand that it's a very expensive knife made by the best knife maker I know but... some folks buy imported sockets and wrenches and some folks like craftsman brand and snap on brand . They have a lifetime warranty . I'm sure if I ever had a problem with my knife Gary would set it straight . I am super impressed with the durability that this knife has given me since I purchased it. I am hard on tools but don't misuse them . The ability for this blade to stay tight in an aluminum housing boggles my mind . (Even though it's adjustable ) The housing being aluminum is super light and u don't even know it's there and the blade being Damascus , has to be the toughest I know of and really holds a good edge .
By the way ,the insert is such a tight fit I would pop it in in morning and it pretty much stayed there ( in my pocket ) all day , but I was afraid of loosing it so I set on my night stand .
So if you ever see me out in public and ask me if you can borrow my knife , I'll tell you NO but I'd be happy to cut something for you or show you my knife . Hehe it's one of those things you don't loan out .
December 15, 2014 11:36PM
You know .... I had a Mdl. 97 knife with stag inserts, I think. May have been bone. I never did glue them in. Wasn't sure I didn't want to engrave or anodize the case. So; I carried it for a couple of years that way. With them just pressed in. They are machined to a taper fit. Worked just fine .... till Julio went and bought it off my belt at an invitational shoot! More sad

What-cha-gonna-do?

Gary
December 16, 2014 10:42PM
Carry it long enough and you'll get a "pocket-lint shim" keeping it in place. Bit shorter time if you keep candy in your pockets. winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021