Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Partridge in a Pear Tree.

Partridge in a Pear Tree.
December 30, 2014 04:28AM
After the last push, and then the Santa's Workshop .... I was instructed to disassemble my pocketknife and engrave it, during the Holidays.

It's been a touchstone to keep me sharp. I've worked on it here and there.

image.jpg

I got the engraving close today. Had to blacken it. Now I can see where the final pass will be needed to clean up things

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2014 05:00AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Partridge in a Pear Tree.
December 30, 2014 12:04PM
Great work Gary on a very deserved knife. Which material will you use for the insert? Please expand the topic on the blackening of the engraving, of course without giving any critical information.

Thanks and Happy New Year,

julio
December 30, 2014 03:29PM
Ya , what Julio said
December 30, 2014 04:33PM
Yeowza!wow

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2014 04:34PM by Bigbore.
December 30, 2014 09:27PM
So Santa is right back to work then...you'd think they'd give the guy a little vacation time after the big day...winking smiley
December 30, 2014 10:57PM
image.jpg

I decided to rework the design. Make it more 3 dimensional.

The black is a special pigmented concoction for the purpose of engraving backgrounds. I'm sure every engraver has his own mix and preference.

Hope ya like it. Right now, it's wearing Scottish Red Stag Scales.

It's "Alloy#3".

Gary
December 30, 2014 11:13PM
That's a great contrast too . I know some guys who did body work on cars and would spray primer and then sand to locate problem spots . Do you clean it all off then after ? It's no wonder you can't KEEP a knife when you do work like that .
So being Alloy # 3 does that MD97 have Damascus blade ? I did not notice a picture of it yet .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2014 11:25PM by kurt wag.
December 31, 2014 12:42AM
Thanks Guys,

It is Wire Damascus. That "reclaimed" one I dovetailed the tang on.

wink. A small attempt at keeping it.

Gary
January 01, 2015 04:12AM
image.jpg

Here ya go Kurt. Same blade that I've used in it since I assembled it from cached parts. This is a wire Damascus, forge welded blade. It's never been etched to show its cellular pattern. It was deemed to be a step below investment quality. But a great quality using blade - thus great for me. It's our secret ... whistling

image.jpg

Cleaning up the welded joint in a newly made bandsaw blade. BPS Staff Photo

thumbs up

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2015 04:15AM by barnespneumatic.
December 31, 2014 04:37AM
Hi Kurt,

The backgrounds might appear one of a few ways. For instance, on yours - the knife gets its contrast from the shadows of the topography. And the contrast between the frosted background and the polished top work.

It would be tempting to assume that there is a right/single/correct way to complete a piece. But, rather ... It's more like the question - "Which is correct - white or yellow gold?" Answer - Both.

If you ever decide you need yours to be higher contrast, can be done or I can enroll you in the Barnes Engraving Background Tonal Contrast Semister. Or - as we like to refer to it .... the "BEBTC".

grinning smiley

Gary
Anonymous User
December 30, 2014 11:14PM
Very nice Gary. It has beautiful antique look. A blade that i would be proud to own.
January 01, 2015 04:25AM
That sure has to be my favorite . I am very impressed with the strength and durability of the aluminum case . I really don't even know it's there it's so light weight .
January 01, 2015 04:43AM
That's great Kurt,

Drop of light weight oil in hole on back side, drop on each side of blade pivot. Open and close it a few times. Blow it out with air - paper towel dry. Should last a loooong time.

Write if it ever needs a cam adjust.

thumbs up

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021