Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Report 2.25.15

Report 2.25.15
February 26, 2015 01:07AM
Working on Outrider actions and Stocks.

Here's as quick a sketch as possible. Not excuses - but facts.

My Planer was not set up. Pushed back in a corner - no access. Locked in with many, many other things. Each one of those also locked in with something else. That's the mess with the shops being unfinished.

I finally got the Planer into a position to use. Then, the huge Shop Vac that takes the shavings off the Planer was nowhere near the Planer. So - another Rubic's Cube starts to get that near the planer. I can't just plane wood and spray the shavings into the stacks of boxes, and pallets of parts and tools.

Once I get the Planer set up and the Vac attached ... second pass thru the planer of a stock blank ... some movement shakes down a container of Anodizing Dye ... Dark Green ... that hits - upside down ... ruptures the plastic top (thank you scientists for developing plastics that "self rot" in a few years) - and the contents of the container go ALL over the shop. One lovely mess. I begin the clean up.

And, so it goes. I'm just not fully set up to do every operation. I press areas into service with tools that are not ready. Sometimes I get away with it - often not.

I have a group of stock working thru. It's been cold and rainy. I know - NOT the misery of the rest of the world - but for an old guy with chronic pain ... it's been nasty. The contractors who built the lower shop said the 10' roll up doors (in the Gable end) would fit into 11' side walls. I paid extra from the normal 10' base model. Well - they do fit - sort of. But - when down, the drum of the door does not now displace the same amount of room as when it's raised. Sooooo .... there is an 6-8" gap ... 10' wide ... at the top of two doors (as seen when standing against the closed door outside - and looking up). That's 6" by 10' times 2 square feet of AIR exposure. The shop has spray insulation - but nothing filling gaps that size is a bit of an oversight. So - it's a Gary Project. And, it's cold as heck when cold and rainy. Walking between the Studio and Lower Shop with an armful of stock parts, in the cold rain, is a .... disappointing experience.

And so ... as I say - not an excuse - but reality. I wanted to have the stocks done. Tonight, I was frozen, tired, and just bagged it.

But - I shall be back on duty tomorrow. This ends today's reports. No pics - sorry. ...... wait ...... artist here we go. winking smiley

Gary
Re: Report 2.25.15
February 26, 2015 09:52AM
Well that sounds like my luck . Just think the next time you plane 5 gunstocks , you should be good to go . At least you were able to find all necessary equipment . And you also never have to think ..... Hey did I leave that in Maryland??
I see on the news some of that terrible weather the southern states are getting. At least your somewhat used to it ( cold) and you're still in the acclimating process . I am glad things seem to rolling foward for you and miss Kelly ! Spring is just around the corner .
February 26, 2015 05:54PM
So, green floors it is for the wood shop, or at least that particular corner. thumbs up

On the positive side, I'm sure you now have a unique new "splattered look" finish for all the equipment stored there. Custom work, very Jackson Pollocky. Nobody else has anything like it, collectors edition of course. winking smiley
February 26, 2015 08:10PM
Ya artwork . Maybe Jerry can come and shoot holes in it . I here that's the new thing these days. Haha
Anonymous User
February 26, 2015 08:35PM
Fighting murphy's law again. Stay warm and dry my friend.
February 26, 2015 08:57PM
Thank you Don,

A kind word is very much appreciated. thumbs up

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021