Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Collection of Barnes

Collection of Barnes
March 17, 2015 05:14PM
A few of my favorites, IMG_1053.JPG The abolone is great and pictures do not do it justice.IMG_1055.JPGIMG_1056.JPGIMG_1062.JPGIMG_1064.JPG The ivory has a small crackIMG_1068.JPGEarly fixed bladeIMG_1069.JPG An A G Barnes not a G barnes or BarnesIMG_1066.JPGIMG_1067.JPG

Can' wait to get the Outrider to try. Most of the knives are safe queens, Will post more in a while. Gary B is not the only one working out of a deep hole. Time is so short, I don't know how Gary B can post and work at 11 pm to 1 am then start the next day all over. At least the health issue is under control. I am thankful that he got out of MD before this winter, just read that Boston had 9 feet of snow this year, no idea what MD had but it must be more than FL.

Gary L
Re: Collection of Barnes
March 17, 2015 07:31PM
Ah - that's a GREAT collection Gary. I really like many of those and remember them as favorites of the time.

Natural materials can be a bummer.

Makes me want to get my sand/glass blast cabinet assembled. Love the first one.

A. Barnes. Aubry IIRC. I used to get his sanding belt orders and he mine. Haha.

Thanks for posting. The "Woodsman" knife is rare too.

Gary
March 18, 2015 05:50PM
NICE!thumbs up

Is the "woodsman" one of yours, Gary?
March 18, 2015 09:42PM
Yes Sean,

Half tang - fully tapered. 1060 steel - hammer forged. Sambar Stag.

It was an effort - 85 years ago or so ... To get people to USE SOMETHING.

One of the reason that so many knives have come to light is that I was selling to 75 year old collectors, in 1980. The drawers are being opened and the next generation has said .... Whoooohh!!! WHAT is THIS??? No notes. No ledger. Hey ... $900 sounds good to me!!!! (On something I sold for $2,500 in 1983).

Keep ledgers guys. Show your work. Have people know it exists. Many are sure the Cat Burgler will come visit. Nah - they are after Jewelry. They don't want to go to prison for a $600 pocketknife they can only pawn for $50. When you let people see your work, somebody might tell you - hey - if you ever want to sell that .....

Gary
March 19, 2015 05:16PM
I don't worry as much about the "cat burgler" as I do about myself. Move than once I've put something away in a spot that makes perfect sense to me at the time (tools, usually), and then I can't find it again till we're packing to move to another house. My toolbox is like a Noahs Ark for small, easily misplaced items, two of everything. winking smiley

Between that and the brain donors working for the TSA, it's a clear and present danger to nice pocket knives. moody smiley
Anonymous User
March 20, 2015 08:51PM
Nice blade's.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021