Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Critters

The Critters
December 14, 2011 03:38PM
As I understand it, sometime in the 40's, various "exotics" were introduced into Texas. These include a couple species from India. Black Buck and Axis Stag have become normal inhabitants of central Texas. These are not considered to be game animals. They are treated as "livestock" and may thus be hunted with airguns. That is if you can get within range of them.

Driving around the ranches in a truck, you can see them on a fairly regular basis. Get out of the truck and they are gone.

I did have one experience where was set up behind a brush blind. Overlooking a wash area where the deer seemed to migrate between their day and evening preferred areas. As I sat intently watching the area, inbrcame aware of sounds behind me. I slowly turned to see a huge Acis buck with about 4' beams standing broadside at about 20 yards 180 degrees from the direction my Orion was facing. We both froze for an instant before the "elk- like" animal bolted out of there. As I sat stunned watching the Axis stopping about 50 yards into the brush, I wondered if he was gonna present a shot.

I became aware that something else had taken up residence in my peripheral vision. A huge whitetail buck now stood aware of me watching the Axis. "oh well - just a huge whitetail buck ... ". I continue to watch the axis and move my gun 90 degrees. By then the Axis had melted into the brush and the whitetail had bolted. I was left sitting there on a chair in the gathering dusk.
Re: The Critters
December 15, 2011 01:19PM
That's always good to get the adrenaline flowing! That was much closer to an Axis than I got. The word there is that Axis are much more wary than whitetail. But it is also said that the meat is better than the finest Angus beef. That's what the cashier at the Walgreens said. Very friendly folk.

Kent
December 15, 2011 04:21PM
I am from India and the axis deer are known here as chital or spotted deer. They are fairly numerous and not wary as in your place. Black buck, though is an entirely different proposition. It is very wary and found only in certain pockets where they are numerous. Loss of habitat and poaching is a big issue here. In India hunting is strictly no no, but poaching does take place rather commonly.
Regs sudhaiob
December 15, 2011 04:50PM
Welcome to the Rendezvous. I hope you enjoy our discussions. Thanks for posting.

The Axis are very pretty animals. As a knifemaker, we used to enjoy the use of an Indian stag known to the knife community as "sambar stag". I realized, while on this trip, that this is the Axis deer. For some time, the stag could no longer be imported. It may be different now.

Again, welcome

Gary
December 23, 2011 02:07PM
free range knife scales.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021