Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A few pics - Texas

A few pics - Texas
December 14, 2011 06:35PM
a_Gary.jpg

I really did go hunting in Texas. Here I'm bundled against the cold. I arrived in Texas to the first rain in a year. The temp. fell into the 30s and stayed there. My hunting clothes were delayed in arriving. Walmart solved that issue.

Here I'm carrying my 62 Orion slung over shoulder, AND my 32 muzzle loader built in 2001. I took the BP gun to hunt some whitetail deer. Story later. It's light and trim. Just like everybody wants their 600 fpe PCP to be.

a_muzzleloader32.jpg

It's an inline design you can take apart with a couple hand tools. Very nice design. Not much to it. No reservoir tube, intake and firing valve, simplier hammer needs, no bolt, etc.. ;?) It was an idea I had back then of perhaps making a few. I'd tested it one 5 degree day in Penn. state with a fellow I was producing the first Standing Stone Festival with. I proofed it with 100 grains of triple F black powder and a long string. haha. I shoot 35 grains and it's very accurate. Chrome moly barrel. You don't know the times I've fought my own hand to cut the breech threads and use the barrel ... But - it's survived in tact ... and went to Texas.

a_CamoSanta.jpg

Things were decorated nicely for Christmas. Santa was in Camo outside the Cafe in Mason, Texas.

I took over 400 pics. They take time to process and post. I'll (respectfully) decide if it's worth the time to do, depending upon the feedback. Hope you might enjoy the discussion and pics. But I don't want to do it for myself. I was there. ;?)

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2011 06:41PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: A few pics - Texas
December 14, 2011 06:55PM
yeah, pics are good. keep em coming. glad you got to get away
steve
December 15, 2011 05:39AM
Gary,

How about just a hundred or so of the best?more innocent

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2011 05:39AM by Bigbore.
December 15, 2011 01:32PM
Thanks for the pics. I must say your skills are wasted making a smoke pole. I bet it's amazingly light compared not only to an airgun but also most blackpowder guns with the 1in octagon barrel. That would be a significant risk to put out into the public with the chance of someone dumping in a little more powder than proofed for. Glad you stuck with the airguns for all of us to enjoy the talent.

Kent
December 15, 2011 04:16PM
Just for the record ... Most black powder guns use soft iron barrels. This is chrome moly, and several times as strong. It's the same material as smokeless powder center fire rifles.
winking smiley

Thanks for posting.
Gary

Iphone
January 07, 2012 01:47AM
I guess I must have missed the fact that you had both rifles shown in this photo. I was just checking the threads for photos of the Orion, and here I stumble across a pic of your BP rifle. Looks very svelte by comparison to airguns, without the reservoir tubes, hammer tube, etc. Nice looking piece there, I'm sure next time you drag it out into the woods (with the right powder) it will acquit itself properly.
January 07, 2012 02:55AM
It does feel like a toy. Seemed the perfect comparison with both guns making 625 foot pounds as previously tested. Both capable of more, but with time passing to get ready, delivering a gun, and preparing for a trip... It seemed to be one of those co-incidences you wonder if they are "met to be". Well, in this case ... I can now say ... No. Haha.

It is a very fine rifle. Just as worthy on the overall Barnes universe as a desk, pocket knife, or bracelet ... I trust. winking smiley

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021