Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lathing & Colonial Williamsburg

Lathing & Colonial Williamsburg
May 18, 2015 11:09PM
Hope everyone had a good long weekend. Saturday I finally got around to making a chuck handle for my little 4 jaw chuck. I then quickly tried it with two small pieces of aluminum. No real function to the mold, more a proof of concept for myself.

xx_resized_0_resized_0.jpg

I have also been trying to find my video for Colonial Williamsburg and the gunsmith. Well no luck just yet and wouldn't you know, someone placed it on youtube.

First link from their website.

[makinghistorynow.com]

1800 century gun making. Wallace Gusler is in the video and is mentioned in the Fox Fire 5 book.

[m.youtube.com]

Enjoy the video before it is deleted.

Have a great week.

Pedro
Re: Lathing & Colonial Williamsburg
May 19, 2015 04:43AM
Wow, that is some video. This may be one of the only gunsmiths who makes as much (or perhaps even more) of the final product than Gary does. Not that I'm complaining in any way, Gary. For example, I don't think that your final product would be improved at all by rough-shaping the stock with a tomahawk, or by making every screw by hand so that nothing ever interchanges...yikes.

What do you think the gunsmiths of the colonial era would have given for a truckload of thick-walled seamless tubing?grinning smiley
Sal
May 19, 2015 11:42PM
That is a really cool video! That is a serious amount of work, I always wondered how it was done.
May 20, 2015 04:19PM
Hi Pedro,

Thanks for the post!

I haven't looked at it all yet - vid and all. I got stuck on your casting mold. Huh ... Ya made a Chuck Handle and cut a casting mold cavity with it? I never tried it that way .... Haha. Hey - you aren't trying to mislead us are ya? I'm not even sure how ya do it with a 4 jaw chuck - even if its an independent jaw. Hummmmm. Maybe you converted it to digital screw advance which tightens while spinning .... Tricky!!! Haha.

Thanks for posting.

Gary
May 20, 2015 07:02PM
It worked rather well using a 4 jaw chuck. I lined up my two rectangular blocks as center as possible. Drill out most of it and ground a quick boring bar from drill rod. I heat treated it and started machining. I will try again with an actual design next week.

My wife has taken over the garage with a Garage Sale!!!! urg!!

Pedro
May 22, 2015 10:34PM
Better hide your good stuff, if you're not careful she'll sell it all for ten bucks just to clear out some space. winking smiley
May 23, 2015 03:13PM
Trust me she was warned not to sell tools!

First thing guys ask, are tools for sale. lol
May 23, 2015 03:51AM
Hi Pedro,

Yeah - Duh ... I forgot about using a boring bar. I've been making Cherries too long. ha. I wondered how you were advancing your blocks into your spinning cherry, with a 4 jaw.

Hope it works well for you.

Hope the Wifey doesn't sell your Replicator Machine. eye popping smiley

Gary
May 23, 2015 03:19PM
Gary,

I think cherries and boring bars each have their own pros and cons. Larger bores would be easier to lathe as you can get in with sturdier tooling. Care has to be taken both ways to ensure correct sizing.

My Replicator, 3D printer - I lent to a friend so wife cannot sell it! haha.

Pedro
May 24, 2015 04:32PM
The trick with boring bars is to have the accuracy to judge the whip/flex in the bar ... mate it to the spindle speed ... Avoid and chatter with a razor sharp cutter ... And have a flawless readout on the cross slide. Other then that, it practically makes itself! thumbs up

Yes - larger caliber reduces the flaws. From 1" up! Haha.

Thanks Pedro
May 24, 2015 05:49PM
Speaking if 1" and bigger. Check out these guys an their cannons! Some serious fire power.

[www.go2gbo.com]
May 25, 2015 06:28AM
Yikes, I'll bet they really go through the black powder.
May 30, 2015 03:08PM
Pedro,

Great video, thanks for sharing! The video is a great supplement to the voluminous material Gary has shared with us over the years.

I haven't been around much due to some crushing obligations but rest assurred I'm always lurking in the shadows. Gary, I may be in the neighborhood in the near future so check your fences and gate to make sure they are in good repair.fudd

Lon
May 30, 2015 03:35PM
Hi Lon,

The Drones will pick you up 2 miles out. winking smiley

Check PM for Gatehouse Password ....

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021