Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kurt

Kurt
July 12, 2015 10:52PM
Saw your name. USPS tracking says they tried yesterday. So your knife made it to the Post Office!

You happen to get in there?

Gary
Re: Kurt
July 12, 2015 10:57PM
Tommorrow
I was running around yesterday but did see the notice in my box . Can't wait for tommorrow . WOOHOO !

Thanks
Kurt
July 13, 2015 05:19AM
yay!!! thumbs up

Tell me if you can smell the pine cones ..... heheh
July 13, 2015 09:42AM
Gary
I can smell the pine cones ! When you first made that Barlow I really liked the green scales ... But then those beautiful pine cones showed up with that polished S.S. Backround . They appear to take up a larger portion of the knife than a regular Barlow . If I recall usuall about 3/4 of the knife is handle scales and on yours it looked like about 2/3 is handle scales .
You never answered my question about how you got the blackround black on pine cones . ( trade secret) The reason I asked is because I plan on carrying the knife at least for a time and was wondering if I should make a sheath for it to protect the cones ? I still haven't decided if I will gift it to my son or wait for another one .
Thanks a bunch

Thanks
Kurt
July 13, 2015 04:11PM
Hi Kurt,

The black is Oxide. Produced by chemical to advance what would take place naturally over many years. It's permanent. The frame and bolsters are brass. Get a Silver Cloth. Or a Jewelry Cloth. It's treated with a chemical that will polish silver and brass with a light rub. Another tool is a cotton wadding called ........ Never Dull. Takes the Dull off with a light rub. The oxide stays in the grooves - no problem.

Enjoy. Hope you love it. You should make a leather sleeve/sock to slip it in in your pocket. I always wear a belt sheath cause I don't trust pockets.
Hey - somebody included one with your Alloy Knife.

A Barlow always has up to half the length of the side as a bolster. It's a trademark characteristic of the "Barlow". They were always tough working knives.
Gary
July 13, 2015 08:49PM
Gary
This is a remarkable knife . People really missed out on this one ( lucky me ) I can't believe the way it feels in your hand too . The pine cone detail is even better in person and that with the green really sold me on it .I had to take this photo for side by side comparison. I'm extremely happy . You really out did yourself .
A true craftsman!!
Thanks

Thanks
Kurt
image.jpg
July 14, 2015 10:01AM
Nice shot Kurt, thanks for the pic. I love that old Barlow... I think I have one just like it somewhere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021