50 Cal

50 Cal
September 26, 2015 03:04AM
Sanding!
image.jpg
image.jpg
Re: 50 Cal
September 26, 2015 03:16PM
It's nice to see you working on the stock of a new rifle. This one is a few steps closer to the finish line. Is that mahogany?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2015 08:24PM by Julio.
September 26, 2015 06:02PM
Yes. Mahogany. Outrider 50.

Working on many things. Taking advantage of any time I feel tolerable.

thumbs up

Gary
September 26, 2015 11:39PM
That's another fine specimen .
I have done a lot of metal work but not much wood . After holding my new outrider , I can really appreciate all the roughing,fit and finish work that goes into a stock from scratch . A lot of things are taken for granted when holding and shooting a custom airgun . I always think of these types of pictures when shooting !
Thanks

Thanks
Kurt
September 27, 2015 02:51AM
Thks Kurt,

Yes, it looks pretty clumsy in the above pics, but there has been a huge amount of work in that stock already. It started with me driving two hours to a sawmill in Maryland, when I still lived there. I hand picked rough sawn planks. Loaded and trucked a big load of wood home. I sorted, graded, then planed the planks. Working out the best use of the planks is important to avoiding waste.

Once this stock profile was bandsawn, I spent quite a few hours milling out the interior of the plank to a negative void which would accept the working steel action. Tons of work.

Now, I sculpt and smooth. Sand and oil repeatedly. It's a bunch of work. But still about 5-10% of the work in the action.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021