Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Conundrum ....

The Conundrum ....
October 06, 2015 02:44PM
People "find you" because of the unique work you produce, as an Artist. Over decades of study and work, the artist develops his craft. He starts out gluing macaroni on a can, and spraying it gold. He gets to a place where he can actually make steel, forge, carve, engrave, inlay, acid etch, polish, and a dozen other skills.

Folks follow your work in order to see the unique. The complex. The smooth operating. The accurate. The powerful. The extra tough.

All of the fine things take time. All of the unique designs, take time. Accuracy and Engineering takes time.

Once people come to realize the extent of your skills, they are no longer intrigued by your gold macaroni cans.

And so, how does the artist continue to "be there". He has to move enough product to do so. He runs his face smack into the Conundrum. What does he make to sell? The quick answer is, "Well, obviously; his finest work!" But, is that correct? His finest work will surely take his most time. His finest work will surely create the most limited number of buyers. "Well then, his most economical work!" But is that correct? Because now everyone knows what he is capable of, and his simple work seems less representative. Buyers will (observed), buy inferior work from less skilled artists, and spend more doing so; simply because they are buying that craftsman's top of the line. I've set at many, many shows - and watched people spend $100 on far less, at maker X's table then $100 at mine ... because they were buying his best, and my "best" was some level to which they didn't care to go.

My "Compromise", is to keep my work "Fresh", and to make terms/programs to allow very fine levels of work, to be easily purchased. Fine work, interesting work; takes time and skill. Price it modestly, relative to quality; and split the cost up into bite sized portions. Do so interest free.

It's the best I can do, to beat the conundrum. But, it's very necessary that it works. Please consider that the reading stops when the lights go out. And so; I keep producing very unique, highly skilled work, for the best terms I've ever seen. I hope you agree.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2015 03:20AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: The Conundrum ....
October 07, 2015 12:19AM
Yes...... but maybe you could make something that these kids have to buy. Maybe a sketter tusk iphone holder!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021