Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

INCOMING!!!

INCOMING!!!
October 09, 2015 03:11PM
I was sitting here, looking at the forum, when THUMP! a mighty thud hit the front of the house. We go to the front door. Cat Bird on the porch, laying on its side. Panting.

Well THIS has never happened befor......

Oh wait ... A few days ago, Kelly and I having coffee on the front porch in the AM. Talking whe...... THUMP!!!!!!!! Practically shook the house. Cat bird laying on the landscape gravel. Very odd. Now the first one eventually moved, then set up. Then stood for a looooong time. We spoke of it being a poor time for the cat to appear .... and as if on cue .... here comes the cat! But it didn't see the bird. Finally, it did fly off.

I don't think this second one will. Blood from eyes is not a good sign.

And so; we are hunkered down here. News at 11.

Gary
Re: INCOMING!!!
October 09, 2015 04:14PM
hit the window, or the house?
October 09, 2015 04:38PM
One each we think
October 09, 2015 06:57PM
Cat bird ?? Never heard of one but I did Google it . We used to get a lot of pheasant flying into the house when the farmer took off corn in the neighboring fields . Free food and talk about a thump .
Good thing they didn't hit the window .

Thanks
Kurt
October 09, 2015 08:29PM
When I was young, in Maryland ... We saw Phesants everywhere we drove. Then they faded, until the last 20 years, never a one anywhere. Gone. All to Michigan I hear.

Gary
October 10, 2015 12:56AM
Gary,

Glad no one was standing out there. Makes me wonder why your house is suddenly in the way of two catbirds? I mean how could not they not see the whole house sitting there?

I agree that something must scare them or in the case of a window they fly into a reflection and who knows what they belive the reflection is.

So I hope you don't have wear full face motorcycle gear and pads to get to the shop.

Larry
October 10, 2015 02:50AM
Hi Larry,

My premise is that the house lies within the intersection of two Worm Holes. As you know, "Matter" found in such a location; would be in a constant state of Flux. Here now, there now. Perhaps something has recently altered the frequency at which the house "Winks" in and out. The birds have not yet adjusted to the change. "The Simpliest Explaination is usually the Correct Explanation." Ockham's Razor. take a bow

Gary
October 10, 2015 07:01PM
Coulda been worse, do an Internet search on "barracuda jumps into boat". Can't make this stuff up. Florida too!

Lon
October 10, 2015 09:05PM
Happened in a guy's back yard too, didn't it? Scary .... woodsman
October 11, 2015 12:19AM
Gary,

Thanks I understand exactly now.. Ok not really. But if a huge fish slams into your house think about spending the big money for a nice tall net to protect your windows during the Winks when the house is in the way.

My head hurts now I need an Ibuprofen.

Larry
October 10, 2015 10:16PM
Gary
You know I just remembered one night I was laying in bed late watchin TV and my wife came in room and said something was banging on the window . Now mind you I have over grown cedar arborvitae bushes about 8-0" tall in front of house where said banging was going on . Anyways I moved the curtain back and there it was a little tiny owl attached to the screen . It had huge yellow eyes and flapped furiously when I shined the flashlight on him but...... he didn't fly away . The poor thing had his huge claws stuck into the metal screen and couldn't get off.
Now in ALL my life I have only seen a handful of owls maybe 3-4 and by the time I got camera out he had figured it out . I can't remember what kind it was but seeing him at one foot away was pretty neat . He was no bigger than a persons hand but had huge claws and leggings of feathers !

Thanks
Kurt
October 11, 2015 07:38PM
Probably out flying around in the dark and suddenly saw his reflection coming up fast in the window. I'll bet he was shocked how hard that other owl hit him, "there I was, out minding my own business flying around looking for mice when suddenly WHAM!".eye popping smiley
October 12, 2015 04:07PM
Yikes!

We have trouble ever spring and fall with birds hitting our windows. Last fall we had 5 king fishers die as they would eat the orange cherries from our tree and fly right into the front window. Tried all sorts to make the window more visible but still have the odd thumb!

Hope that cat birds have stopped flying into the house!

Pedro
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021