Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sal's Shrouded 25 Barnes Barrel

Sal's Shrouded 25 Barnes Barrel
October 26, 2015 08:45PM
image.jpeg

Barnes Rifled Steel Barrel, Fully Shrouded in Glass Beaded Hard Aluminum. Barrel and Shroud are an Integral Unit. thumbs up

image.jpeg

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2015 08:52PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Sal's Shrouded 25 Barnes Barrel
October 26, 2015 09:10PM
Wow that's it WOW
Where did you buy that ? At the barrel store ? Hehe
That's gotta be exciting for you Sal !
Way to go Gary . The pics are cool too!

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2015 09:19PM by kurt wag.
October 27, 2015 06:05AM
Thanks Kurt,

Snapped a Pic on the way thru the Worm Hole this trip. Barely had time! Or did I ....??? hummmmm...
October 26, 2015 10:06PM
Nice!thumbs up

BTW, I was looking for the unicorn emoji, couldn't find it for some reason. more confused
October 27, 2015 06:02AM
It was there Rotor .... it was there ......
Sal
October 26, 2015 10:13PM
Wow! I did see you in front of one of your blasting cabinets in another picture and thought to myself hmmmmm that would be cool. Viola!

Either that or you have been pulling all of this fantastic work out of that worm hole in the second picture, Occam's razor and all, I'm going with worm hole. tongue sticking out smiley

No lie, I saw the second picture and instantly started humming the theme song from Dr. Who (the original series, not the new fangled one).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2015 10:16PM by Sal.
October 26, 2015 10:16PM
I think Gary is just thrilled it's not stainless. whistling
October 27, 2015 06:08AM
Glad you like it Sal.

Yeah ... just wish Occam's Wormhole was faster .... Ha
Sal
October 26, 2015 10:18PM
And it's light weight!
October 26, 2015 11:03PM
Very cool !

I like the matte look
October 27, 2015 01:35AM
Glad you like it guys.

It's sort of a Pearl Grey

I'm now working on the guts of the valves, hammer train, and trigger block ....

I need to open that Worm Hole again SalllaaahllLLllll......
Anonymous User
October 27, 2015 12:37PM
Very nice and clean bore. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2015 12:38PM by florida.
October 27, 2015 12:44PM
Hey Gary,
I like that a lot. Very modern clean look. I think that bead blaster and you are gonna be good friends for a long time! Thanks for the pictures.
Jeff
October 27, 2015 01:10PM
So Gary
What do you do to preserve that finish ?
Bluing, gulf coast finish or......
If you tried to keep that look you would hafta seal it somehow . I do know that will rust awfull quickly especially up here in Michigan .
Have you ever anodized anything in house ?

Thanks
Kurt
October 27, 2015 03:06PM
Kurt!!!!

Now common.......

Where do I START??? Haha. Have I ever anodized??? Oh .... My HEART! .... injured. It's the BIG ONE ....

Ok, enough drama. winking smiley

Yes. I've had an anodizing shop set up. Remember the Hard Color Anodized guns. Prairie 3, Carvinore, Orion, 62XLT, Timber Wolf ... To quickly name a few. And the anodized knives.

HOWEVER; this is a 6061 Aluminum Tubing. It's not gonna rust. And, it doesn't need sealing either. The surface is smooth. If it were just sandblasted, it still would not rust ... But the texture of the sandblasted surface would more easily collect dirt. No; this is done. It will stay that way. To test it, after its done, I'm gonna toss the whole thing in the swamp for a month before I send it to Sal. Just an example of the unnecessary lengths we go to, here at BPS, to look out for our friends! Don't thank me ...

Don't know if you may have thought it was raw steel, but you mentioned anodizing which is for aluminum so you must realize it is alum. If you left it outside for a few years, it might start to "oxidize", - that white clouding that gets on old weathered aluminum. But, ya know ... Look what happens to old weathered Airgunsmiths. They get white too. Best to store them inside at night. Hehe.

As you likely know, anodizing alone, is clear as glass. It's not a layer "added", it's the "conversion" of the surface to aluminum oxide. When I color it, it's dye introduced right before the cell structure closes. A technical extra series of steps. I'll be setting a small anodizing shop soon. It's a great process, just not necessary in this case.

Thanks Kurt!
Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2015 03:24PM by barnespneumatic.
October 27, 2015 03:27PM
Just makin small talk ! Hoho I do remember you saying you had a monster battery charger in your (shop) but I really thought it would get oil marks from your hand or sumpthin without a treatment .

Thanks
Kurt
October 27, 2015 08:06PM
two words...clear coat winking smiley
October 27, 2015 08:32PM
Dudes ...

Two more words .... Not Needed.

What's gotten into you two. Stop it! Right Now!! mic'd

Why are you guys so convinced Sal should become worried his gun is gonna look like crap in a month. Ahhhh. I got it .... You two are being paid by the "Under The Bed" Lobby. Or the UTB we call it here at the Compound. Trying to get Sal to stuff his gun under the bed. Well ... I'd have never believed it!! laughing

The Darned Shroud is Fine. Don't you go clear coating it or wrapping it with wood grain Contact Paper!

No more of this non-sense now from you two! Straighten up.

Gary
October 27, 2015 08:44PM
Awwww.....Kurt and Sean got in trou-ble..... wink
October 27, 2015 10:44PM
Kelly
I ain't scared . He don't know where I live or wait maybe ....
Don't make me come down there and .... {:~()>angry with "no" sign

Thanks
Kurt
October 27, 2015 09:38PM
Kelly, You are sooo funny Blinking devil.
But I do like the wood grain contact paper look...
Thanks for the suggestion Gary!
Keep smiling,
Jeff
October 27, 2015 10:39PM
Ohmmm
Ohmmmm
Ohmmmmm
mic'd
Hey maybe yoga or decaf . I have worked with aluminum a lot and whenever it's been welded, ground, grained or altered its apparent . Now granted it's not any kinda special grade , just structural shapes . I even made VCR & stereo face plates for awhile . Most were grained and some different finishes but they all had to get anodized to preserve the finished . Some were dyed also . So is it the ( stainless steel ) of aluminum (the type )you use or the bead blast that closes the cells from staining .
Even aluminum check plate oxidizes when welded . We've even cleaned with vinigar to etch for paint to adhere .

Aluminum is one of my favorite materials to work with . It's clean , light weight , easy to TIG or wire weld ,Easy on tooling .Not so easy to stick weld but.... Even my model 97 aluminum still has a great finish . So what gives !

Thanks
Kurt
October 28, 2015 02:40AM
image.jpeg

Hi Kurt,

Not saying it can't get dirty, and darned near anything can oil stain eventually. Anodizing could up the game. So could making it from Titanium. oohhhh ... Everybody just said how much is one in titanium!!!

. Then, there could be a step up if we'd make it from titanium and anodize that. ohhhhh - stop it!!!!!. And, I suspect there's an up from there. I know this is just banter. I've thought it was a good solution within the realm of reasonable limits. I don't see why the spray way I wipe down my guns with would not perhaps seal if you were going there. But, so far as "rust" - I've never seen it on hard aluminum. This is T-6 or 6061. It's a heat treatable aluminum but not one of the exotics. Polishes well and anodized well. Strong but not at the top.

Now - you also realize, I'm NOT welding it. I understand that you could "see" grain structure changes in the material when "producing" a finish. But for my usage, no rust.

Oh .... The pic above is an 18 year old unit that has banged around on every shelf of my shops. Been used. Filthy buried in sooty dirt. It's not perfect. There are some scuffs and some stains. Nothing bad

Thanks Bud,
Gary
October 28, 2015 08:51PM
Hey, I know!idea You can dress it up proper in...wait for it...carbon fiber!

No, not REAL carbon fiber, that stuff costs real money. I mean carbon fiber sticker sheet! It looks like carbon fiber without all the hassle of actually including any of the stuff. Supposed to be the latest thing for car spoilers and interiors and such that need to look hi-tech without actually BEING hi-tech. Or expensive.And you could paint the wood stock flat black, that way it would be "tactical". eye rolling smiley And no, I am not being serious. Just in case you thought I had lost my mind or turned 16 again or something.
October 28, 2015 01:17AM
Looks very nice! Final rifle will look great!

Amazing how something like bead, sand blasting can change the entire look & feel of aluminum.

Thanks for sharing,

Pedro
Anonymous User
October 31, 2015 12:03PM
Flame's carved on the barrel.......
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021