Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Air rifle building

Air rifle building
December 01, 2015 04:23PM
Hi Guys , my name is Matt I'm a big fan of the air rifles Gary builds, and air rifles in general their works of art to say the least! I work at a ISO certified tool and die machine shop my family owns, its located in novi Michigan. We make a lot of custom parts for the military automotive and aviation manufacturers. I started welding and running mills and lathes when I was 15 I'm 25 now, went to college for welding and fabrication...I started building pcp air guns about 3 years ago and have always built them with safety as a main priority 3000 psi is no joke! I've always had a big passion for metal working from a young age, And looking for some advice from you guys about selling custom made air rifles. I've had people want me to build them air rifles, but I'm not sure how that all works with the liabilities at risk so I have refused to build them for people. I'm curious what it takes to sell custom air rifles with low risk. If you guys get a chance to get back with me with any info or advice I would greatly appreciate it my name is Matt, again I'm a huge fan of air rifles. Gary's precision craftsmanship and the work of other air gunsmiths is what got me into building them. Here's one of my builds its a .45 cal bolt action with a 3 round clip. I designed and machined from the ground up. Can shoot up to a 350 grain slug. 2 by 4 was 50 yards away.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Re: Air rifle building
December 01, 2015 04:51PM
Matt
Nice work . The airgun IS a powerfull tool and come along ways thanks to people like Gary . I never see you at any gun shows in Michigan which is where I live too. Maybe you could start there . If you shoot your eye out you can't sue Daisy ..... Well you know what Imean .I am still learning a lot and I know the R&D and testing is paramount . Don't Rush the selling part till your ready .

Thanks
Kurt
December 01, 2015 06:05PM
Kurt, thanks for the reply, next time a air gun show rolls around I would like to check it out. I've actually never been to one, been to the gun and knife tho. Yeah your right on about the r&d and testing theirs a lot that goes into that it's practilly a science ..The few air rifles I've made have always been for hobby. Definitely not ready to sell them...don't kno if I ever would be. More or less just curious, thank you for the advice and information much appreciated. Matt
December 01, 2015 07:14PM
Matt
I like the way your stock ratchets in and out also the wood circular forearm . I can't tell how your mag works from pictures though . Maybe it's not in picture . Did you model it after a type you've seen before ?
Anyways it's a beautiful piece . Model 7 means you made 6 others??? Hmmmm
Thanks

Thanks
Kurt
December 01, 2015 08:01PM
Kurt, thanks for the compliments. The mag was not in the pictures, but it clips in between the scope rail and loading port it's gravity feed so nothing to special..yeah that wood forehand grip was kind of scary getting it to the proper dimensions. Had to bore it out on the lathe to get the proper size to fit, had my fingers crossed it wouldn't crack. It's kind of modeld after eugene stoners m-16 has somewhat similar looks. I have actually only made 3 air rifles that .45 a .357 and a.50, it's probably hard to see in the picture but it says model 1, could not think of anything cool names so I just went with model 1. I've got aroud 80+hours in it to me that's a lot of time and effort for one project ,building 6 or 7 would drive me crazy! Lol. thanks again Matt
December 01, 2015 08:37PM
Matt
Model I is great . BTW does that bolt just lift up and back to remove ? I would hate for all that pressure to blow it out the back into you . I'm sure it must detent in or lock in place some how . I've actually just got my first big bore from Gary . I've been an airgun guy for a lot of years and shot and repaired 100's but my new .50 cal is off the charts . It really brings a smile to my face and others . You should be proud of your accomplishment.
Thanks

Thanks
Kurt
December 01, 2015 09:29PM
Kurt, the bolt actually has a 4 lug locking system one external and the rest internal, it's designed so even if the bolt is in the upward position and fired the hammer will not strike the valve. In order to take the bolt out you would have to disassemble the whole top half. Thanks for lookin out tho,I can see the the concerns with just that one bolt handle holding it in that could be bad! A good reason why any type of air gun building or designing should be done with extream care. I did pressure test it and installed a 5000psi burst disk. Congrats on the .50 that's awesome, im sure it's a master piece! Do you plan to hunt with it, or target shoot? Would love to see some pic of it. Thanks matt
December 02, 2015 10:05AM
Matt
If you look back in the pages 6,7,8 of the rendezvous , you can see the .50 cal Outrider Gary made me and slug mold with sizing dies . I do plan on hunting with it and target shooting also . There is a lot of good pics and reading here too you can catch up on . Gary is a man of many talents and making ALL internal parts in house is a true labor of love !
Gotta git to work
Later

Thanks
Kurt
December 02, 2015 09:49PM
Kurt,
I checked out the the pictures of the rifle it's a awesome piece! would be vary proud to own it! I like the custom case too keep it nice and snug when traveling down those Michigan roads. Lots of good info on this forum..

Good luck hunting, maybe we will get some snow soon!

Matt
December 02, 2015 01:55AM
Hi Matt,

Very nice work! Thanks for sharing your work. Great to see younger men learning a trade and carrying on! Be thorough if you want to sell your work. Liabilities would definitely be something you would need to consider and use good judgement who you sell to, my opinion.

All the best as you continue building.

Pedro
December 02, 2015 04:16AM
Pedro,
Thanks for the compliments, and good advice. It's nice to get insight from other air gunners, I'm just going to keep it as a personal hobby. That air rifle in your picture I've seen it on airgundevolpment. I see you to are a machinist! Great work vary nice air gun! It's amazing all the planing and effort it takes to build an air rifle... Not to mention set up time on various milling and turning operations. When I first started a lot of the time it was one step forward and three steps back lots of learning curves.

Anyways great work..
Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2015 11:56PM by Matt b.
December 03, 2015 01:32AM
Hello Matt,

Yes that is one of the rifles I built and airgundevelopment.com is my website. Your skills already are well established. It is a labour of love no doubt building. Many setups involved milling & lathing etc. I was a toolmaker, not a machinist for many years. Now mostly work with designing production tools st a manufacturer.

Keep developing yours skills. I am sure you will do well.

Pedro
December 02, 2015 02:52AM
Welcome Matt,

I approved your membership this morning.

Wanted you to meet some of the guys, and talk without interrupting. But I wanted to say hello now.

Your rifle looks very nice. I see you've hunted with it. Very nice. That will be a fine memory.

I hope you enjoy Christmas. Stay safe.

Gary
December 02, 2015 04:51AM
Gary,
Thanks for approval of the membership, it's great to talk to fellow airguners. Also thanks for the compliment on the rifle, I've been vary privileged to have grown up around a machine shop and learn the skills, much appreciated. That was the first deer I got with an air rifle it was about 25 yards away and was a clean shot. Again happy to hear from all you guys.
Thanks, Matt
December 03, 2015 04:59AM
Gary,
Just wanted add I am Not trying to use your fourm as a sales pitch for my air rifle, just trying to get opinions that's all..I've decided to keep my builds as a personal hobby..compleating a build is satisfying enough. I'm a big fan off your work, also vary intrigued with the knives you make! The one with the full green hand grip is awesome!
Thanks again
Matt
December 05, 2015 10:20PM
Welcome to the forum Matt. I'm glad you found us fellow airgunning enthusiasts.

Karl
December 06, 2015 07:26PM
Thanks Karl

I've found it to be some what of struggle at times for people to relate with air guns wich can somewhat be expected..so I'm glad to be here, good positive atmosphere.

Thanks again for the welcome
Matt
December 08, 2015 07:59PM
Glad to hear you're keeping it safe, looks like an interesting rifle. Three thousand PSI is nothing compared to cartridge firearms, but it's plenty enough to really get yourself hurt if something comes loose that shouldn't. So, about how much does your new model weigh?

Sean
December 08, 2015 11:46PM
Psssst ..... Matt .....

(Proper answer is 6 pounds "including" a 3 1/2 pound scope, bi pod, moderator shroud, four clips, and sling). hehe.

Gary
Sal
December 08, 2015 11:52PM
That's WITH the attached 4500 psi carbon fiber tank!
December 08, 2015 11:58PM
I stand corrected! Silly me .... bowing
December 10, 2015 12:31AM
Sean
I tried weighing it today with a stand on scale, but could not get an accurate reading... The scale has seen better days! Will need a fish scale or something once I get it weighed I will let you kno.
Thanks Matt
December 09, 2015 12:19AM
Proper question ..... Does it come in stainless steel ????

Thanks
Kurt
December 09, 2015 01:47AM
Hey guys,

what Gary said it does all that and more lol... With the carbon fiber tank attached! Great rifle for a hike in the woods, can't even tell it's there! In all honesty tho I have never actually weighed it. However I can tell you it's lighter then my dads .35 marlin lever action with out the scope, but not by much... That was somewhat my goal, to get it as light as possible without compromising the material yield strength. It's mostly 6061 aluminum with a 440stainless bolt and the internals compose of some tool steels 4140, s-7 etc...there's just a lot going on with an air rifle compared to the clock work of a modern firearm, hard to make them light...the first pcp I ever made has a thick stainless fill cylinder.. Let me tell you..it's Heavy! If only it could be made from plastic. Then it might be light.
Thanks Matt
December 09, 2015 01:52AM
Speaking of attachments think this one needs a few more maybe?
image.jpg
December 09, 2015 04:10PM
Love the hood ornament . Tweety

Thanks
Kurt
December 10, 2015 12:53AM
Kurt
Agreed with the hood ornament... It could be made from stainless, I'm sure you kno, much more expensive material...when I win the lottery Maybe some titanium.

Thanks Matt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021