Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Off Topic - Archery

Off Topic - Archery
December 10, 2015 03:54AM
Hello All,
This past Saturday our maintenance group went to a new local archery range. 13 of us, we rented the place for two hours. Many of us had never shot compound bow and was fun. After a few laughs, guy had his bow upside down, another shot so high needed a ladder to remove arrows, we all improved and had a great time. In door range at 20 yards. Posted my best group of 3 arrows.

1192015224627.jpg

We went for supper after, was a good time! I do have a problem with my right shoulder but doctors tell me need 6 months off if they repair so will wait till I have to do it.

Thanks for reading!

Pedro
Re: Off Topic - Archery
December 10, 2015 04:13AM
Hi Pedro,

Great fun! I've always loved Archery. Hope your group hangs together. Love to join you.

Gary
December 10, 2015 11:28PM
Would be enjoyable if you could join me. If ever up past North Dakota let me know!
December 10, 2015 12:33PM
Pedro,
Now that's an office party I would love to attend. Way cool! I'm glad you all had fun and learned something new. I have been shooting bows for a long time, and there is something magic about how the arrows leave the bow and hit the target. Thanks for the post!
Later,
Jeff
December 10, 2015 01:23PM
Pedro,
It's amazing how accurate those compound bows can be, with some practice. Vary nice group! Like how they put the balloons out ther, looks like a nice range too.
Thanks Matt
December 10, 2015 11:32PM
Hi Matt,

A couple created the indoor range on their farm about 5 min from town. Hopefully it really catches on! Balloons are a great target. I ketp missing tho, by like a 1/16th! Finally got it!

Pedro
December 11, 2015 01:02AM
Pedro,
A 1/16! Don't be so hard on yourself...it was prolly more like a couple thousands lol...yeah that nice it's so close to town.The bows look nice also, I like how they use a whisker biscuit to hold the arrow in place, the one I have just has two prongs for the arrow to rest on, always seems to slip off. Some good fun tho.

Matt
December 10, 2015 07:28PM
Pedro
That looks like a fun time . I can't believe you were ALL able to get together at the same time with all the holidays and such.
My son and I shoot recurve bows and make our own arrows . It's a great way to bond . Like Jeff said, there is something magical about the flight of the arrow leaving your hand . There is s great book by a instinct shooter ( Byron ferguson ) called becoming the arrow . He's a wizard at shooting. It's a good read if you get a chance .

Thanks
Kurt
December 10, 2015 11:49PM
It was great we could get the place and they rented to groups. Archery range has 14 lanes and we had 13 guys. Some cancelled but it worked out perfectly.Been looking into archery, seems like a great sport, never thought about it really.Just like shooing rifles, there are many things to do to hit your target every time. Nice you have that in common with your son.

Thanks for commenting.

Pedro
December 11, 2015 01:00AM
Hey Kurt,
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and find that book.
Later,
Jeff
December 11, 2015 01:13AM
Jeff
Here's a pic. It's a small paper back .
Let me know if you can't find it .f

Thanks
Kurt
image.jpg
December 11, 2015 04:08AM
That's meat. My cousin and I shot day and night for fifteen years. We had about thirty arrows each in our quivers. All different. We just adjust our aim per arrow. We could hit anything anywhere. Haha. If we had to shoot around a corner we just used a one feather arrow that was taped back together. Zap!!!! Haha.
December 11, 2015 06:32AM
Guys
Byron is a master instinct shooter . I've seen videos of him shooting an aspirin in the air thrown up by his wife . He also does cool card tricks and ricocheted shooting . 2-3 bank shots . All instinct shooting . No sights . Draw and release .

Thanks
Kurt
December 20, 2015 04:59AM
The kids do archery in 5th grade here in the schools as part of their PE classes. The bows are only 10 lb pull, but they'll still pop a balloon!
December 20, 2015 05:41AM
Good they shoot. Real good.

Now ... 10 pounds???? Good Grief - do they all have carpal tunnel from phones and Gaming? We shot 30 and 40 pound recurves at that age. Well, don't want anybody to break a nail! Haha.
December 21, 2015 04:52PM
They're some sort of generic compound bow, perhaps they let off to ten pounds after a bit more initial, I'll have to check. Probably don't want to have to set up too much of a backstop since it's usually done indoors, in the gym. They hang some sort of kevlar weave curtain between two volleyball net poles to catch the misses (of which there are many). Or almost as likely, so that super-dull field point arrows can skip underneath it and hit the wrestling mats behind. more innocent

And you do have a point about how kids are all about the digital stuff to the exclusion of the real world nowadays. Most of them have no idea on how to start a campfire, or handle a hatchet safely, or play stickball.

You don't want to go thumb-wrestling with one of these youngsters though, those cell-phone thumbs are all lightning-fast. grinning smiley
December 25, 2015 02:30AM
Most of the schools are using the "Genesis" compound bows. We have a few loaners in the 4-H shooting sports program as well. My girls tillered their own longbows and fletched the arrows. Here's Emily's tillered but unfinished bow. She's drawing it "target bow " style as she had been shooting compound bow.
Emily First Draw Unfinished.jpg
Here's Amanda at full draw. She's got the correct longbow form, canted bow. They both shoot barebow with gloved fingers. Draw weight about 35# at their length.
Amanda fulldraw.jpg

It is a fun kids hand tool project.

Kent
December 25, 2015 01:28PM
Hi Kent,
Very nice, thanks for the pictures. I have a hand made hand tillered bow that my son made me. It's nice that not everyone is losing those skills! Nice to see you training your children in solid skills too. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 41
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021