Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What it is ?? #2#

What it is ?? #2#
February 17, 2016 08:03PM
To all
I have a nother installment of (what it is !)
So here's a snapshot of a little fancy rifle that I picked up a while back.
It's always an air gun / PCP / CO2 / HPA you know . There were a couple different styles of these made and sold in small numbers .
It's got a star trek kinda Spacy design to it that I really like .

1. Hint : 22 cal pellet OR round
2. Hint : it takes 1,2or 3 CO2 carts

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2016 10:12AM by kurt wag.
image.jpg
Re: What it is ?? #2#
February 17, 2016 09:57PM
Does it say "Buck Rogers" on it anywhere?assimilate
February 18, 2016 04:00AM
I got no idea Kurt, never saw one before...
February 18, 2016 09:59AM
Hi Jeff
There weren't very many made and this is the only one I ever seen plus this guys not at all very famous . I believe he only produced air guns for a couple 4-6 yrs that I'm aware of . He did have some advertisements in magazines and flyers produced .

Thanks
Kurt
February 18, 2016 04:33AM
Looks Russian
February 18, 2016 09:51AM
Was Buck Rogers Russian ??
Both very good choices but this was made in the Pennsylvania by a single person . He kept improving on the first design and even tried to sell his feed design & Airgun to the military with no success !

The gun looks heavy but it's not and feels comfortable at waist height OR. shoulder .( hint hint )

Thanks
Kurt
February 18, 2016 11:39PM
What is that a Springfield flip up leaf open peep inverted "V" elevation site ??

Thanks
Kurt
image.jpg
image.jpg
February 19, 2016 05:12AM
Why, Kurt ..... I believe it might be!!!!

nowthatIthink

Yes .... I'm pretty sure it is!!!!

wow
February 19, 2016 01:56PM
Gary
That's the BIG differance between you and other Airgun smiths / makers . You would never put someone else's ( obtainum) parts on your guns . Well except for scopes . It takes a real true pride to invent and design your own parts . Even at the cost of expense. ( loss )

The sites were bought for $1.00 each as left over surplus . So obviously it's a dollar over pride decision that had been made Mr William Young , the maker of this airgun . Maybe he threw it on as after thought or was busy on other tasks !
There are some really cool innovations that were designed by him that are pretty different thinking outside the box .
For instance 3 , 12 gram CO2 all in line . There is a double ended male piercing pin mounted in a spring . The CO2 face each other and then a pin on piercing cap also and when you tighten the cap all pins line up but ... What appears to be a bolt for breach loading is actually a puncture device and a safety for the gun .

Thanks
Kurt
image.jpg
February 19, 2016 11:04AM
Hey Kurt,
Maybe some sort of paintball marker? Like the ones they used on construction sites back in the day, to mark walls and what not... Just a wild Guess, all I can come up with... Certainly an interesting piece!

Matt
February 19, 2016 03:45PM
Matt
No paint ball marker gun . 22 cal lead pellet or round . I know that nelspot in UP Michigan designed a paintball gun for forestry tree marking . I have a pistol bolt action and a pump carbine type from early yrs but didn't know they used them for construction too .

What's really bizarre is how blocky and squared off it is . It's very futuristic like Sean said but I like it and it works even though I'm pretty traditional kinda guy .

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2016 03:49PM by kurt wag.
February 19, 2016 04:29PM
Kurt,

yeah your right for marking trees, For some resin I was thinking they we're used in construction lol.... Hmmmm.... semi auto, single shot, full?? Can't say I've ever seen anything like this.. does have a futuristic look!

Matt
February 19, 2016 06:18PM
Matt
It's full auto 30-60 rd mag depending on round or pellet .

It's claim to fame was it would saw a soft drink can in 2 pieces or a destructive bird in 1/2 while flying .
550 FPS and 60 ft lbs of energy

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2016 06:21PM by kurt wag.
February 20, 2016 05:19AM
Hi Kurt,

Got to ask you about those energy numbers. 550 fps and 60 fpe? That would be a 90 grain pellet in 22 caliber. I suspect a typo. thumbs up. I figured you were just trying to shake my confidence.... laughing
February 20, 2016 12:10PM
Well Gary
Can't slip anything by you !

It was a one second burst delivering 36 rounds equaling 288 grains . The cyclic rate of the gun is 1800 - 2000 rpm ! ( rounds per minute)
I my self have shot the gun a couple of times but never ran any calculations .

The gun is called the Pulse O Matic . It's made by Mr. William Young .

He is no longer with us but was quite the crazy guy from all I've read about him . He claimed the feed mech idea was stolen and used in the ink jet printers . You never knew with him . I guess he was a great story teller too .

I've never met him but really respect his forward thinking . There were some major safety issues with his first model A . That is the gun I have . What appears to be the barrel is only the CO2 chamber and I believe the barrel is 6" long . It ends at the fore stock flush with wood . It would allow the shooter to hold gun with his hand over the end before shooting . It was fixed by simply adding a few inches to barrel allowing it to stick out past the end of the fore end .

It is a muzzel loader with an on board ram rod stored next to barrel . I know a lot of guys are not into FULL AUTO airgun but this is a great looking and simple adjustable design .
If anyone knew Mr Young , maybe they could add any info or correct me if any statements were incorrect.
I wish I would have had the chance to meet and talk with him . He sounded like a smart and funny man with great ambitions .

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2016 12:52PM by kurt wag.
February 20, 2016 02:24PM
Very interesting Kurt.

And, I wish to thank you for being interested in the makers of the things that you collect. You appreciate the men and their processes. take a bow

Now .... I do have a high speed camera. And, I want to watch you muzzle load that gun 1,800 times per second. (One second will be enough ... wink). Do you indicate that the magazine is accessed thru the muzzle? How on earth do you load pellets backwards, etc., etc. and the rest (as they say on Gilligan's Island).....

Gary
February 20, 2016 05:02PM
Gary
Thanks ! I enjoy the stories I get when I look or buy airguns . I always find out the most I can about the gun and builder and always shoot them ( not the builder ) and or fix to shoot and enjoy them other wise whats the sense .
As for the loading .... I'm pretty slow but that's seems to be the down fall of all rapid / full auto guns . Also the freeze factor of CO2 .
The feed mechanisms are amazing to me and if you can shoot one projectile at a time , there's usually a neet setup inside or else you might as well throw a bunch is bb's in a brake line and add air .

The claim is that muzzle loading sizes the pellets on the way to the magazine . Kinda like slugging a barrel maybe . As you can see in #54 a rifled barrel and #52 a follower they probably don't line back up on the way out but are sized for sure .

Thanks
Kurt
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
February 20, 2016 11:27PM
Just saw this post. I saw your lower one first. Nice try, but I'm still not posting the mechanism. Haha. I'll have a cuppa coffee over your drawings. Thanks.

Mechanisms are fun. It's hard to make them pay. 99.5% want the 100 year old bolt action. Or .... The 3,000/sec. Drum mag, water cooled, shrouded barrel with the 7 Picatany Rails. whistling

Gary?
February 21, 2016 12:38AM
Gary

There is no proprietary info that isn't already published here ! All you have to do is understand the inkjet printer ( haha ) anyone could make it ! Right ??? Sure I know there are some smart folks ready to swoop down and copy any and all info . There have even been people sent into the chemical plants I work at just trying to steel information . You are a smart man to keep it under wraps as long as possible.
Thanks for sharing what you do share . It's appreciated by all of us !Green bowing

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2016 01:03AM by kurt wag.
February 21, 2016 03:20AM
Hi Kurt,

Hey, you know I was not suggesting you were a rat. I trust you completely. Next time you come down, we will have a chat.

It is my only full auto gun. Yes. You know, I never know how better to describe what I do. Not without looking even more like an arrogant %#+=%%}*. Here's the honest truth Kurt. One day, I decided I wanted to make something that would cause the Airgun Community to take notice. I had had a couple of exposures to air canes. I decided they were exotic enough to be the base format. However; the last thing I ever wanted was to just copy what had been before. When the first press on me came out, there were several people who thought their prayers had been answered. Here, at last, was the craftsman to fix all of their old broken historic airguns. Missing parts, broken parts, guns from drawings. And when I kindly explained that I had ideas of my own, and wished to design my own work, at first they scoffed. Me??? Haha!!!! "I was going to design airguns?" "I was going to turn away from their generous offer to indenture me to a career of fixing whatever they could excavate???" "The impertinent insolence!"

And so, I was thrown out of the "inner circle" before I had hardly began. Well, only one of said circle bought a few things from me. It was made clear that I would never feel the coin of the real collectors. I suppose it pissed me off. And so, one day I sat down at my dining room table. I had a large sheet of paper, to my memory. I decided a cane would be a start. But; it needed a kick. How about full auto? Yes .... that should do nicely. And so I stared into space for a while. Maybe an hour. And then, I began to sketch. I drew out the full auto mechanism,and refined the proportions a bit. I then picked up the phone and called that one inner sanctum member. I told him I'd just drawn out a full auto air cane. I gave him a few details. He said he wanted it! I guess I estimated a price. We agreed. 'No, wait ..... he wanted two!!!' One for ........ x. Fine. (Within a relatively short time, the second party withdrew. As I said, you think airguns are different from any other business on the planet ... think again.)

And so, I built the Full Auto Air Cane you know of. When complete, I photographed it with a top hat and formal gloves. It was put on the over of US AIRGUN MAGAZINE. I wrote the main article of the issue, regarding the cane.

I don't struggle with designs. I stare at a wall, or a door, or a piece of furniture. In the space between myself and the object, I see a somewhat frosted/hazy screen. On the screen I design what I need. I know it sounds like BS. And, evidently it's pretty common, as the world has not gathered outside. At least they were not there when I came up for dinner.

And so, Kurt; I give you a story, my friend. You can have lightening strike me dead if every word isn't truthful to the best of my memory. (Now, I do live in Fla., so if lightening gets me next week, that doesn't count). sunny

thumbs up

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2016 03:31AM by barnespneumatic.
February 21, 2016 07:10PM
Gary
I understand you completely. There's always someone who thinks they found the golden egg . But they only think about themselves . Your brain must be a blessing and a curse . The thought patterns are scary just trying to get out . That's why Da Vinci had so many drawings . I actually have a huge book of his drawings that's an incredible read . You gotta get those thinks outta there !

One of my good friends told me he could see electricity . From the second he turned on the switch his mind would follow it thru the wires into the light bulb and such . Every time !! I recall one time he told me that I talked to much and the way he could tell was my face would turn into a skeleton after analyzing all of the functions it took to make conversation ! And no it wasn't during the 60's haha .Funny thing was is he couldn't even tell me what I was saying .

Anyways I love the design more than the process and that's just the way my brain works . It's always trial and error for me !!

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2016 07:13PM by kurt wag.
February 22, 2016 10:55PM
Hello Gary, I still think that your most impressive air gun, mechanism wise, is that pressed half-shell model that you made early on, the one with the four-way operating lever. Wasn't that one a semi-auto of sorts, or a repeater? It's been a while since I've seen it but I remember that the design was very unconventional. Is there still a link to it somewhere?

And Kurt, am I reading it right that the actual barrel on that Buck-Rogers raygun/airgun is the little stub that sticks out the front hand grip about an inch, below the tube with the front sight? If so, you'd better watch how you hold that one, it could really do a job on the fingers of your support hand otherwise!injured Yikes, talk about a design where you'd better read the instructions first!
February 23, 2016 12:00AM
Sean
I'm not sure I ever saw the gun your talking about . Was it a harmonica type perpendicular to barrel , magazine?
Sounds pretty neat .

So you didn't read read the directions ! knuckleheadIt says to keep your hand away from end of the wood stock ( disclaimer included ) . The little nub next to the barrel is a ramrod . I have it partially pulled out in one picture .
The barrel is to the right of the ramrod looking at the opposit end of the gun( barrel end) from the buttstock . He didn't fix it when the first run went out but did fix it later by adding an inch to it making it stick out past the wood flush with ramrod handle .

Mr. Young did note the danger in the directions though . electrified

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2016 12:39AM by kurt wag.
February 23, 2016 04:07AM
Hi Sean, Kurt,

I believe you are talking about serial number 2.

No. 1 had an antique late 18th century look and action. So; to show versatility very quickly, I made Serial Number 2 to have a late 20/21st century look.

2 had a reciprocating barrel. When you actuated the lever, you cocked the gun and a wing door opened for loading. The gun could be put into a locked safe position. The gun was fed by a small Co2 bottle which threaded under the front.

The case/frame was due pressed aluminum and camo anodized. Walnut add on stock components. Very neat gun. My second design.

Thanks for asking.

Gary
February 20, 2016 06:11PM
Gary
I know I've never asked before but I always wondered how your feed mech on your aircane worked . I've seen it pictured in the blue book . I have looked hard on your website for pictures to no avail . With such a small format ( cane gun) it must have been pretty intricate . I always try to figure them out .

Thanks
Kurt
February 20, 2016 10:54PM
Hi Kurt,

Well, shucks .... let me just post a schematic of that full auto air cane .... .......... ... Psyc!!!!

Gosh .... it was a long time ago ....... more confused ...... LOL!

Do you have all the rest of them figured out then? Nutz .... evidently I've been careless with my pics .... thumbs up

Gary
February 20, 2016 11:52PM
Gary
I'll just wait my turn to own your other cane gun ! You know I'll hunt it down cause I'm driven to do so ! Hehe
I can only assume it's external by the pictures . Is it your ONLY fully auto matic airgun ? I don't recall any others and was suprised to see it !
You can only do so much in a small area with mechanics on an aircane but I know you decorated it up pretty well . The only pic I've seen is black and white but the description makes me drooool !

Thanks
Kurt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021